• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What GA run have you completed recently?

190 posts in this topic

Thanks! I bought the Photo Journal Guide to comics and went through every page looking for Paratrooper covers. Found a bunch more. This run will cost me a little, but in the end it will be worth it.

Does this qualify?

headline6.jpg

It's official, I've finally completed (although would like to upgrade some) my supersnipe collection with all appearances. Here are a few group photo shots of the collection. I sold off about 20 undercopies a few years ago, and now wish I had kept them as readers. I was downstairs taking photos, so I took a few other GA group shots for that thread.

Enjoy.....I know I have.

I'd still like to get a copy of Army Navy #2 just to fill out the run, but only #5 has a supersnipe story. 1332400-Picture069.jpg1332400-Picture070.jpg1332400-Picture071.jpg1332400-Picture073.jpg1332400-Picture075.jpg1332400-Picture076.jpg1332400-Picture077.jpg

If you're looking to complete this collection, I think these V4#9-12 and v1#8, v1#9, V2#1 (gerber no show) are the toughest of the group. Here's my Supersnipe V1#8 reproduction by Fred Hembeck and the MH copy of Army Navy #2 (the only book I think I need a copy of)

1332400-supersnipe8.JPG1332400-l4029.jpg

1332400-l4029.jpg.1735cc8cac2bb7724004df1fd793796b.jpg

Ok my Photo Journal Guide to Comics finally arrived. Now I have been looking through both books for Paratrooper covers from the golden age, there are a lot more than I thought. I'll make a list when I have looked through all books, I'm on S now. So far I think my "grail" for this collection is going to be Action Comics #2. Anybody have one for sale?

More paratroopers

1331924-double3.jpg

from the Seeing Double thread!

Jack

It's official, I've finally completed (although would like to upgrade some) my supersnipe collection with all appearances. Here are a few group photo shots of the collection. I sold off about 20 undercopies a few years ago, and now wish I had kept them as readers. I was downstairs taking photos, so I took a few other GA group shots for that thread.

Enjoy.....I know I have.

1332400-Picture072.jpg

Note to self, keep wantlist up to date! stooges.gif

Very nice set, CD!

Enjoy.....I know I have.

1332400-Picture072.jpg

Note to self, keep wantlist up to date! stooges.gif

Very nice set, CD!

I buy these all day long at ebay prices. On occasion I'll splurge outside the Ebay feeding trough. Every now and then I get a nice upgrade, but it's getting harder to upgrade as the best in my collection tends to be VF or better at this point with a few lower grade exceptions.

ps. there's a Doc Savage appearance in V1#7 that is pretty funny.

Enjoy.....I know I have.

Great pics there ComicDey. How many total appearances by SuperSnipe are there? Love the Shadows, btw.

There are only 57 books necessary to complete the supersnipe collection arguably including Army Navy 1-4 as they are precursor books without appearances.

Army Navy 1-4 and 5 with Supersnipe (5 issues)

Doc Savage V1#9 (1 issue)

Super Magician V1#11 (1 issue)

How to draw for the comics NN (1 issue)

Shadow V2#3, #4, #5 and #10 (4 issues)

Supersnipe V1#6-12, V2 #1-12, V3 #1-12, V4#1-12 and V5#1 (44 issues)

There's also a color variant that I have of V4#2 and a canadian 15 cent version of how to draw for the comics.

I'd love to know from other people that have Street and Smith Books if there are any books with advertisements or other appearances.....and yes I'm a bit obsessive about this title.

Thanks,

It's been a true labor of love.

The first supersnipe I ever saw was in a price guide (not overstreet) back around 1977 or 1978 that had a black and white picture of the V1#8 (devil cover). The picture was about the size of my pinkie and it listed the book at $8.

The first supersnipe comics I ever purchased were two coverless copies of V4 #9 and V4#10 in Sequim Washington back around 1982. I enjoyed reading them and loved the quaintness of the stories and the other character stories as well. It turned out in collecting the title that those two issues are actually some of the harder to come by. Volume 4 #9-12 were the last issues that I was able to obtain.

It was a great day when I purchased the V1#8....and again when I finally picked up a copy of V1#9. ( I had to buy a duplicate V1#8 to make that deal happen, hence the two copies in the photos.)

The How to Draw for the Comics is actually a pretty interesting book as it has profiles on numerous Street and Smith artists of the time and examples of their work. I had found a copy in Washington in a back issue bin for $25 and went up to the counter to purchase it and the clerk/owner said it wasn't for sale. That book eluded me for a little while until I purchased a copy from Harley Yee. When I received it, I realized it was a canadian version, and at the time, I was a bit upset as he hadn't indicated that. Now I'm happy to have both the US and Canadien version.

The Doc Savage v1#9 took quite a while to obtain as it consistently goes for over guide, but persistence paid off. The Super Magian issue is a supersnipe sleeper in my opinion. My Shadow copies could use an upgrade and the Army Navy issues are fun reads in their own right.

This title is well worth owning a few issues if nothing else to give perspective on "Supersnipe the boy with the most comic books in America".

Note that his real name was Koppy McFad ( Copy the Fad of superheroes) and I'd say he was one of the earliest superhero parody titles. I'm sure historians know much more than I.

I've only seen one page of original art that has come up on Ebay, and George Hagenenhour (SP?) purchased it from the seller directly and subsequently posted the image in the CBG magazine in his columns. I did grab an image copy of it from the auction, and have a nice colorized "copy" version around now.

It was great fun having Fred Hembeck recreate the cover that started it all for me at the insanely cheap price of $125.

Again,

It's been a labor of love.

I'll scan them individually one of these days and some interiors so people can appreciate them.

Thanks,

It's been a true labor of love.

The first supersnipe I ever saw was in a price guide (not overstreet) back around 1977 or 1978 that had a black and white picture of the V1#8 (devil cover). The picture was about the size of my pinkie and it listed the book at $8.

The first supersnipe comics I ever purchased were two coverless copies of V4 #9 and V4#10 in Sequim Washington back around 1982. I enjoyed reading them and loved the quaintness of the stories and the other character stories as well. It turned out in collecting the title that those two issues are actually some of the harder to come by. Volume 4 #9-12 were the last issues that I was able to obtain.

It was a great day when I purchased the V1#8....and again when I finally picked up a copy of V1#9. ( I had to buy a duplicate V1#8 to make that deal happen, hence the two copies in the photos.)

The How to Draw for the Comics is actually a pretty interesting book as it has profiles on numerous Street and Smith artists of the time and examples of their work. I had found a copy in Washington in a back issue bin for $25 and went up to the counter to purchase it and the clerk/owner said it wasn't for sale. That book eluded me for a little while until I purchased a copy from Harley Yee. When I received it, I realized it was a canadian version, and at the time, I was a bit upset as he hadn't indicated that. Now I'm happy to have both the US and Canadien version.

The Doc Savage v1#9 took quite a while to obtain as it consistently goes for over guide, but persistence paid off. The Super Magian issue is a supersnipe sleeper in my opinion. My Shadow copies could use an upgrade and the Army Navy issues are fun reads in their own right.

This title is well worth owning a few issues if nothing else to give perspective on "Supersnipe the boy with the most comic books in America".

Note that his real name was Koppy McFad ( Copy the Fad of superheroes) and I'd say he was one of the earliest superhero parody titles. I'm sure historians know much more than I.

I've only seen one page of original art that has come up on Ebay, and George Hagenenhour (SP?) purchased it from the seller directly and subsequently posted the image in the CBG magazine in his columns. I did grab an image copy of it from the auction, and have a nice colorized "copy" version around now.

It was great fun having Fred Hembeck recreate the cover that started it all for me at the insanely cheap price of $125.

Again,

It's been a labor of love.

I'll scan them individually one of these days and some interiors so people can appreciate them.

Thanks for the extra info, CD. I read and enjoy hearing about esoteric comics and I don't have and haven't read any Supersnipes. I look forward to seeing any interior art.

Regarding superhero parody, I think that Red Tornado by Shelly Mayer was probably earlier.