• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Golden Age Books

287 posts in this topic

It would be tempting to pick the most valuable copy from my complete high grade run of Mickey Mouse Magazines (1935-40), but it somehow doesn't feel right since the whole is much more interesting than the sum of its parts to me.

I agree -- the occasional scans you post are great but the set must be :cloud9: .

Both of your individual choices are phenomenal but just look at what've you've done by keeping your third one secret: many an inquisitive forumite will be up in the bitter watches of the night wondering what it is. :shy:

RHG, would sure luv to c 3 of your purties :wishluck:

As tb mentioned, my favorite 3 are at the beginning of this thread. But this slightly different grouping is a close second.

That pic does not do justice to the beauty of those copies!! (worship)(worship)

#3 I have such a stong love for early Schomburg. I draw myself and I am inspired by the gracefulness if his lines. Just beautiful stuff.

daringmystery3-1.jpg

#2 There is something beautiful, naive and fun about this cover. It's pure GA comics. I can just see the kids at the local theater reading and trading these books!

SpecialEditionComics1allmine.jpg

#1 I don't know how to top this cover. It is by far my favorite Schomburg cover (and that's saying a lot) but it is also a yellow cover (my favorite comic cover color), a true key, and this is likely one of the nicest copies in existence. Besides the cover, this book is like a dream. It is a freak of nature. The resto is so minimal. The book is supple and bright like the day it was printed. Call me crazy but the first week I had it I held it out of the mylar every day.

:cloud9:

MarvelMystery49_0restored.jpg

As tb mentioned, my favorite 3 are at the beginning of this thread. But this slightly different grouping is a close second.

(worship) (worship) (worship)

#3 I have such a stong love for early Schomburg. I draw myself and I am inspired by the gracefulness if his lines. Just beautiful stuff.

daringmystery3-1.jpg

#2 There is something beautiful, naive and fun about this cover. It's pure GA comics. I can just see the kids at the local theater reading and trading these books!

SpecialEditionComics1allmine.jpg

#1 I don't know how to top this cover. It is by far my favorite Schomburg cover (and that's saying a lot) but it is also a yellow cover (my favorite comic cover color), a true key, and this is likely one of the nicest copies in existence. Besides the cover, this book is like a dream. It is a freak of nature. The resto is so minimal. The book is supple and bright like the day it was printed. Call me crazy but the first week I had it I held it out of the mylar every day.

:cloud9:

MarvelMystery49_0restored.jpg

all 3 are great choices!

Of course I look for this book for ten years, finally overpay through the nose from Heritage, and then promptly find another one. So now I have two.

millie002.jpg

Of course I look for this book for ten years, finally overpay through the nose from Heritage, and then promptly find another one. So now I have two.

millie002.jpg

I have found that to be the case many times... it is the paying through the nose price that leads to other copies surfacing, IMO...

Hi tb,

You asked where one might acquire reprints of the Egyptian sequence from Hal Foster Sunday strip Tarzan that was reprinted in Single Series #20. There are a series of reprint books called Tarzan in Color that cover not only Foster but Hogarth as well. I don't know if they are out of print now, but there are several at Amazon and other places as well at varying prices. The volume you seek is Number 2 (1932-33). It covers most of the stories from the Egyptian period with the exception of early 1934.

If you check out ERBzine.com under the "art and artist" room, you can get a taste of the story, but only small insets of pictures rather than the full glory of what the Sunday pages may have looked like. Good luck in your search.

Mark

One of my favorite three.

Tarzan20.jpg

millie002.jpg

First time I've ever seen a copy of this book outside of the Gerbers!!! He's gotta be WAY off on this one calling it a SI4. I think it's more like a SI6 or SI7!!!

great pick-up(s).

Thanks for the Tarzan links. I just ordered the book from Amazon.

---

Since I already derailed the thread a bit, I wanted to add a third picture. Though this is not a comic book, it is closely related to my comments about what makes a book special to me.

The photo shows Barks' original art to the covers for Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 96 (1948) and 214 (1957). Of the more than 100 covers that Barks drew in the 40s and 50s, only 4 are known to exist today: 1 from the 40s (the #96) and 3 from the 50s. Thus, the picture shows half the worldwide population from this period. I still have roughly 30 years before retirement and would love to improve that percentage. What makes this project so rewarding to me is that it is hard enough to find one early original (about one tends to surface on the market in any given year), but putting together a "collection" of them takes many years, a lot of networking to get in touch with owners (and make them like you!), in some cases longevity, and not least quite a bit of luck. Most of the originals in my collection had been off the market for decades (some for 25-40 years!); adding a piece like that is the most rewarding feeling I get from the hobby (closely followed by sharing it with friends :).

When I look at other collections posted here, the ones I admire the most are those that have required knowledge, excellent taste, and decades of focus and dedication to assemble. It's wonderful that there are many different approaches to collecting, but this is just my personal cup of tea.

wdcs_covers.jpg

PS: For the OA collectors who happen to know my name, I'd prefer not to have it posted on the web. Thank you.

Great original art, especially when you probably couldn't afford a single Barks painting for what it cost to get 2 covers!! (worship)