• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Golden Age Books

287 posts in this topic

I came across this old thread I started in 2006. It's interesting to see what some of the GA board regulars posted as their top 3 books back then. From looking at recent posts, it seems like the top 3 book choices of several people have probably changed over the last few years. Mine haven't, but here are my next 3 favorites.

My selection of the CGC 6.5 Tec #1 probably needs no explanation.

The Wonder #2 is a book I spent over a decade trying to find in high grade until I finally acquired the Church copy.

The Tec #26 is special to me because it is the earliest book in the Allentown collection.

I'd love to see other board members' top 3 choices, so feel free to post them.

128444.jpg.2f6ac1707b9ac86e9974a94c53fb5488.jpg

128445.jpg.a7b89ba778d8a37d8627be20fe8d50a2.jpg

128446.jpg.efeaeb1477dc2fb62371160670b2dbdb.jpg

In no particular order...

Action Comics #43 CGC 9.0. One of the classic Superman covers of the Golden Age. Picked this up many years ago for $1150. This was the highest graded copy until last year, when both a 9.2 and a 9.4 were graded.

action43.jpg

Thrilling Comics #11 CGC 9.0. This is the cover that got me interested in Nedors and Schomburg. Great cover showing Doc Strange decking a Nazi a full year before Pearl Harbor. This is the Larson copy, and having had dinner with Mr. Larson and his family at last years SD con forum dinner, I don't think I can ever let it go. LOVE this book. Picked it up about 5 years ago for $1100 from a fellow Nedor collector.

thrilling11.jpg

Fighting Yank #5 CGC 9.4. This copy is from the collection of Charles Strong, an editor for Nedor who kept a single copy of every book he edited. My Exciting #30 and Thrilling #33 & #38 are from the same collection. The orange cover is very unusual for the Golden Age. I love how Schomburg composed this cover. Lots of little details. I owned the book raw for many years before having it slabbed, and it's newsstand fresh, with amazing page quality. Purchased a long time ago for $220!

fightingyank5.jpg

6 years later, and I still own two of these. A board member owns the Fighting Yank now.

Here's my top 3

action101new.jpg

actioncomics105-1.jpg

action108newpic.jpg

I have sold all of these within the past year. :cry:

Here's my current top 3

I chose this copy because it's kind of a holy grail for me, seems I will most likely never own an Action #1

action2secondpic.jpg

This has always been a favorite cover of mine. Also, it's unique because it's the only issue where the letter S was left out.

action20.jpg

This issue was always special to me because it was the first Action I ever owned. I had to sell the 4.0 I used to own. Since then, I have replaced it with this copy.

action29.jpg

Although I've added a bunch of new material to my collection since I last posted in this thread, my current favorites are actually books that I've had for many years. There are three reasons for this. First, analyzing the CGC census has given me a new appreciation for how truly rare near mint comics from the 1930s are. Not only is the total number of surviving copies shockingly low, but the survival rate decreases exponentially for every year you step back in time prior to 1940. Second, I've realized that only a small fraction of the comics issued in the 1930s had attractive cover art. Third, I've had my Mickey Mouse Magazines CGC graded.

Given all this, I've come to appreciate books published prior to 1939 that feature beautiful cover art, have excellent visual appeal, and are technically strong. The 3 examples below meet all these criteria: published in 1936, '37, and '38, gorgeous to look at, and structurally good for at least CGC 9.4. That makes them stand out to me.

3favorites.jpg

Mine are pretty easy, since there are 3 major Archie keys:

Pep 22 (First appearance of Archie, Betty and Jughead)

Jackpot 4 (First cover appearance of Archie)

Archie 1

905367-pep22.jpg

905374-jp4.jpg

905415-a1.jpg

Still exactly the same. How boring am I? lol

In no particular order...

Action Comics #43 CGC 9.0. One of the classic Superman covers of the Golden Age. Picked this up many years ago for $1150. This was the highest graded copy until last year, when both a 9.2 and a 9.4 were graded.

action43.jpg

Thrilling Comics #11 CGC 9.0. This is the cover that got me interested in Nedors and Schomburg. Great cover showing Doc Strange decking a Nazi a full year before Pearl Harbor. This is the Larson copy, and having had dinner with Mr. Larson and his family at last years SD con forum dinner, I don't think I can ever let it go. LOVE this book. Picked it up about 5 years ago for $1100 from a fellow Nedor collector.

thrilling11.jpg

Fighting Yank #5 CGC 9.4. This copy is from the collection of Charles Strong, an editor for Nedor who kept a single copy of every book he edited. My Exciting #30 and Thrilling #33 & #38 are from the same collection. The orange cover is very unusual for the Golden Age. I love how Schomburg composed this cover. Lots of little details. I owned the book raw for many years before having it slabbed, and it's newsstand fresh, with amazing page quality. Purchased a long time ago for $220!

fightingyank5.jpg

6 years later, and I still own two of these. A board member owns the Fighting Yank now.

And another board member has the Thrilling 33 safe and sound :gossip:

Here's my top 3

action101new.jpg

actioncomics105-1.jpg

action108newpic.jpg

I have sold all of these within the past year. :cry:

Here's my current top 3

I chose this copy because it's kind of a holy grail for me, seems I will most likely never own an Action #1

action2secondpic.jpg

This has always been a favorite cover of mine. Also, it's unique because it's the only issue where the letter S was left out.

action20.jpg

This issue was always special to me because it was the first Action I ever owned. I had to sell the 4.0 I used to own. Since then, I have replaced it with this copy.

action29.jpg

Said before and I'll say it again Comicdonna you have one amazing collection! :headbang: