• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High Grade find from 1965!

359 posts in this topic

"The moderator has already been notified about this post."

Shucks!

I am suprised Arch didn't at least give him a strike. gossip.gif

hm

sumo.gifthumbsup2.gif

Board members should refrain from such ad hominem attacks wink.gif

"The moderator has already been notified about this post."

Shucks!

I am suprised Arch didn't at least give him a strike. gossip.gif

hm

sumo.gifthumbsup2.gif

Board members should refrain from such ad hominem attacks wink.gif

Sorry. I must have hit the PM button instead of reply. foreheadslap.gif

I had no idea it would soon turn ugly, and well, the rest is history. tonofbricks.gif

Really? When has such a thread here not turned ugly?

Seriously, guys, if i ever find a stack of old books like this i ain't coming to the boards with it. You guys are way too cynical...

Alright boys, the only thing left to do now is to send PMs to his high bidders and scare them away and our work will be done here!

thumbsup2.gif

ATTENTION ALL BIDDERS! news.gif IMMEDIATELY RETRACT ALL BIDS. FAILURE TO DO SO, WILL RESULT IN GREAT TRAGEDY!

I had no idea it would soon turn ugly, and well, the rest is history. tonofbricks.gif

Seriously, guys, if i ever find a stack of old books like this i ain't coming to the boards with it. You guys are way too cynical...

If I had an old stack of books like this, I would come to the boards with them. You can't rush into these boxes like this. I would post each books seperately in the can you spare a grade forum, with large scans. Then I would offer them to board members at a fair price, in the comic marketplace. The remainder of books would be put on ebay, if their were any left.

Just my opinion.

Mike

I found a collection of very nice Dells which I posted here and didn't get flamed. I even sold a couple Walt Kellys to a board member. I didn't suggest they were NM to M and really appreciated the find and being able to share scans of some of the better copies. I'm no saint but its just manners.

1000 Dells link

I also didn't get 30 pages of comments either but thats probably for the best.

Ed

If I had an old stack of books like this, I would come to the boards with them. You can't rush into these boxes like this. I would post each books seperately in the can you spare a grade forum, with large scans. Then I would offer them to board members at a fair price, in the comic marketplace. The remainder of books would be put on ebay, if their were any left.

Just my opinion.

Mike

You're right - and honestly I'd probably do the same thing too. But we're members here and know how these things work. This guy was apparently unfamiliar with the forum, was invited to come here and post about his find, then was attacked by all sides, called everything from a fraud to a con artist - even after trying to address some criticisms by posting larger photos of his books. Yeah, they are overgraded and he picked a lousy way to market them by hosting multiple-copy auctions all at once, but i chalk that up more to ignorance than maliciousness. Most people selling comics on Ebay simply don't know any better - even dealers who once owned comic shops (during the early 90s boom years, any insufficiently_thoughtful_person could own a comic shop, sell thousands of new books, and not have any idea how to grade old ones). Don't mean to sound like I'm sticking up for him, but I'd be defensive too if i was criticized like this guy was. confused-smiley-013.gif

Then again, maybe I'm just a hopelessly naive [embarrassing lack of self control]...

From Rovers Auction..we are now famous...makes it sound like we all work for "The CGC"

A few of you at the CGC have been following the sales of this collection. For those who havent, here is the background:

I recently bought five "original" 48 pack boxes of comics from a beer distributor in Central Utah(Winkel Distributors, Richfield, Utah). The comics were meant for distribution into local gas stations and such in 1965 but somehow never made it out. So the boxes sat in the warehouse for a few years until the owners son saw them, thought they might be valuable and locked them up in the safe, there they sat for another 30 years or so, until the son (now the owner) came across the books again. He put a notice out of Old Comics for sale. I answered the ad and the contents of 4 of the five of those boxes has been put on ebay as single issues and lots.

===========================================================

One thing that sticks out to me is the son of the owner, If he put them in a safe( a walk in safe I assume?) because he thought they might be valuable someday, why did he just sell the lot for a lump sum 30 years later,supposedly for very cheap.

Not to say it didnt happen that way,but it does not make sense to save something for 30 years and not even open the box's to see what it is you are selling exactly. Or their current worth.

Oh well, some things we will never know. But it IS a good story.

Ze-

I can tell you where this will go right now, lots of "oh, he must be in cahoots with this guy..."

But Ive been strait up with everything else, so heres the info on the guy I got the comics from...

Winkel Distributing Co

225 East 400 South

Richfield UT 84701

(435) 896-6368

The owners name is Kim. ask for him and he can tell you the entire story.

4) Get an influential message board talking about his books, driving the hit counter up on them and increasing the number of bids and watchers, creating more interest.

Hey....if he was actually smart enough to orchestrate this whole thread (which I doubt)....then he deserves the publicity! insane.gif

Damn that evil mastermind greggy.

He PMed me about these auctions and I go and post a thread about them. 893censored-thumb.gif

stooges.gif

IMO.....he just didn't know what he was doing. He might have a better idea now....but I really don't think there was any malicious intent to defraud anyone. It was just a few years ago I would look at a VF book and call it NM. I mean sure...now I know better...but we should cut this guy some slack. crazy.gif

I always snipe in the last few seconds... so the current bids probably aren't indicative of what the final might be. (For this particular auction series.)

Some interesting top bidders are showing up early though.. so there are some eyeballs on these auctions and placeholder/bookmark bids.

Either way, some might overpay... some might underpay and get a deal. It all works out in the end hopefully.

IMO.....he just didn't know what he was doing. He might have a better idea now....but I really don't think there was any malicious intent to defraud anyone. It was just a few years ago I would look at a VF book and call it NM. I mean sure...now I know better...but we should cut this guy some slack. crazy.gif
27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Then why come across as a jerk when told of the new standards and misleading discription? He is getting NM prices for F/VF and G books. When told of his misrepresentation and how some of the bidders expectations will fall short, he gives everybody the finger. He may be legit, but his people skills are as lacking as his grading skills.

Then why come across as a jerk when told of the new standards and misleading discription? He is getting NM prices for F/VF and G books. When told of his misrepresentation and how some of the bidders expectations will fall short, he gives everybody the finger. He may be legit, but his people skills are as lacking as his grading skills.

Your right, his people skills are pretty bad.

I read and re-read his initial post on this thread, and it just doesn't sound like a guy who is knowingly....hmmmm...maybe I should say didn't sound like a guy who was knowingly mis-representing what he had. He came on board, thinking he was on cloud9.gif and faced the wolves...so to speak. Well, that didn't go very well and a few people helped take him out of his fantasy world and showed him what reality was. He didn't like that very much.

So he lashed out.....a knee-jerk reaction?

I mean he came from living in a comic version of "Simpson's ChocolateLand" to being accused of just not being a very nice person. And, it doesn't end there. He's realizing he now will have a problem with the people that win the auctions not getting what they expected due to the descriptions not being at all accurate. Again, I don't think it was his intention to do that. But now that he's got a face it, he's just not happy.

As far as him owning a few comic shops in the '90's.....there's still owner that don't know how to grade. Shops at the time were popping up everywhere 'cause everyone was buying comics in all kinds of grades and grading just was not as important back then as it is now. So, he's still living with that kind of mentality when it comes to grading.

The forum was there for him to lash out once we made him face his demons. It's what we do. grin.gif

sign-rantpost.gif

Bottom line....is I really don't think he meant for this to happen, he's having a tough time climbing out and he's not looking forward to the potential back-lash from all his auctions.

An unopened box. Give me a break. Who on this forum would sell an unopened box like this. I don't mean to pick on this guy but he is insulting the intelligence of this forum with his over the top jargon and sales hype............. Boxes like these don't exist at all when you really think about it............................

Joe, or Chaz or whatever...

[embarrassing lack of self control] off!!! Whats the harm in selling an unopened box? Maybe you are far too greedy to do it, but you are not me. So basically what you are saying with this post is also that everyone on this forum is too greedy to leave a box unopened and sell it as such?? nice.

boxes like this exist all over the place, its just a matter of finding them.

and as an FYI... this forum has hyped more than I ever did, I put the books up, very unassuming, and I put them at a starting price that would make me a profit with no reserve. so that is a scam I guess??

You are out of control with your temper tantrums. You have insulted several of us by stating to "blow me you..........." You are too over the top to be for real. You are trying to hard to defend yourself and don't know how to count. Your Beer story and 30 years and on and on who so cheesy like the Action in the attic stories.. There is no recorded history of Beer Distributor ships having comics. Also the label on your boxes appears to be created recently with no historical evidence that boxes with this kind of labels ever existed. Now to top it off you have a strike against you. Just chill. Can't wait to see what the mystery box has in it. And some of us will contact the buyer. flowerred.gif