• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Greytone Cover thread
3 3

661 posts in this topic

May 1956 Star Spangled War Stories #45

Jan. 1957 G.I.Combat #44

Almost...

Andy

Can't count Adventure 40 either as it makes use of a similar washtone technique as SSWS 45. That's why I consider SSWS 45 to be the first DC Silver Age washtone.

Woo-hoo!

I just won a 1957 grey-tone Big Town 46 for $1.75!

OK, it's only vg+, but who cares at that price?

Jack

1517484-bigtown46.jpg

Well, that's a cover (and title, actually) that I haven't seen before. Congratulations! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Andy

1957 grey-tone Big Town 46 for $1.75!

1517484-bigtown46.jpg

Well, that's a cover (and title, actually) that I haven't seen before. Congratulations!

Andy

Thanks, Andy and 'Bones.

Radio (originally starring Edward G. Robinson) then TV show about a big-city newspaper. The DC title ran 50 issues, and since it was a licensed property, will probably never be reprinted.

Dan Barry did a lot of the artwork. This is a Gil Kane/ Jack Adler (of course) cover.

Jack

1517484-bigtown46.jpg

Well, that's a cover (and title, actually) that I haven't seen before. Congratulations!

Andy

Thanks, Andy and 'Bones.

Radio (originally starring Edward G. Robinson) then TV show about a big-city newspaper. The DC title ran 50 issues, and since it was a licensed property, will probably never be reprinted.

Dan Barry did a lot of the artwork. This is a Gil Kane/ Jack Adler (of course) cover.

Jack

Gil Kane, eh? I thought that it might have been Grandenetti.

That is a great book... never saw that cover before!

Shep

1517484-bigtown46.jpg

Andy

Thanks, Andy and 'Bones.

Jack

That is a great book... never saw that cover before!

Shep

I'm with bigfiver. That doesn't look like Kane. It does look like Grandinetti.

Nice book! thumbsup2.gif

1517484-bigtown46.jpg

I'm with bigfiver. That doesn't look like Kane. It does look like Grandinetti.

Nice book! thumbsup2.gif

Thanks to both of you for the kudos and art ID. I'm the World's Worst Art Spotter (especially unfamiliar with Grandenetti [sp?]) so that's the GCD attribution. I'll raise the question there. If you don't mind me mentioning your real names, please let me know in a PM.

Jack

Strange Adventures has a few really nice greytone covers. The car on this cover adds to the nostalgic 1950's feeling this cover invokes.

Ken

sa110.jpg

Now that's Gil Kane!

What a beauty! But then if it's the copy I expect it is, that would be no surprise. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif