• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Greytone Cover thread
3 3

661 posts in this topic

Thanks to both of you for the kudos and art ID. I'm the World's Worst Art Spotter (especially unfamiliar with Grandenetti [sp?]) so that's the GCD attribution. I'll raise the question there. If you don't mind me mentioning your real names, please let me know in a PM.

GCD attribution is fixed. Your names aren't there (because I don't know them) but could be added to the credit.

Thanks!

Jack

Strange Adventures has a few really nice greytone covers. The car on this cover adds to the nostalgic 1950's feeling this cover invokes.

Ken

sa110.jpg

Now that's Gil Kane!

What a beauty! But then if it's the copy I expect it is, that would be no surprise. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

White Mountan copy.

Ken

Strange Adventures has a few really nice greytone covers. The car on this cover adds to the nostalgic 1950's feeling this cover invokes.

Ken

sa110.jpg

Now that's Gil Kane!

What a beauty! But then if it's the copy I expect it is, that would be no surprise. 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

White Mountan copy.

Ken

Nope. Try again. stooges.gif

Beautiful cloud9.gif

Ken

sa110.jpg

Now that's Gil Kane!

White Mountan copy.

Ken

Beautiful cloud9.gif

Adam,

I purchased the book from Marnin Rosenberg and he recently confirmed that the book is the White Mountain copy. What makes you say no?

Ken

sorry.gif Just kidding -- I was quite certain it was the WM copy just by how pretty it looked.

I did put the 3 stooges symbol next to my comment! flowerred.gif

That's another beauty! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

And, as a Bethlehem copy, appropriate to the season!

That's another beauty! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

And, as a Bethlehem copy, appropriate to the season!

Touche! wink.gif

Does anyone have a list, or know where one is on the net which lists all the greytone covers?

John,

I did have an imcomplete list once... I'll try and dig it up. Overstreet misses a lot of these.

I made my list one very slow week at work. I told the department administrator that I was in 'doing some very important creative work' and needed 'as little interference as possible'. Then I locked the door spent hours and hours and hours poring over the Grand Comics Database in search of greytones. Just checked all the titles and hunted for them in the thumbnails.

Aside from the obvious suspects like DC War books and Sea Devils etc, you'll find greytones in the strangest places. The Western titles, Challengers of the Unknown, Rex the Wonder Dog, and a particularly tough grouping of Peter Pandas (they're actually pretty cool!). There's even a Detective Comics that has a nice greytone. I didn't even know there was a title called 'Big Town' - let alone a greytone - until I saw it here on this thread.

That Unexpected is a killer. A very, very tough book in any grade, let alone sparkly like that one.

Shep

Are there any Marvel/Altas greytones? I have always suspected that SPEED CARTER #1 is a greytone, but since I don't own a copy, I am not sure.

Bill

It's created with one of the greytone techniques so I think it would qualify. #1 is a great Bill Everett cover.

They don't get much better than this. I spent years looking for a high grade copy of this book. Anyone have a nice Tales of the Unexpected 15 to post?

Ken

totu17.jpg

I have been fortunate enough to see this book in person, it is real pretty!