• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Greytone Cover thread
3 3

661 posts in this topic

Evocative. . .not to mention absolutely, fundamentally, astonomically, and wonderfully mega-ABSURD!

There are some covers out there that are strange, but this one takes strange and puts into an utterly surreal realm. The alien alone, with that hilarious mask and goggles is diabolical enough to go down in comics history as one of the least threatening entities to ever grace a comic book cover, but then there's the bizarre, purple, moth-winged tricer-cow that appears to have just taken a step out of ballet school.

<p>

I've always thought that adolescents & teens have a tough time with the peer-pressure to dabble with drugs. . .but this cover alone could just go into each teen's backpack as a plausible safeguard. Here's how I envision the conversation:

Billy: Hi Freddie, what are you doing with that needle in your arm?

Freddie: Oh, Hi Billy! This is some really wonderful stuff. It'll blow your mind! You've never experienced something as way-out as this!

Billy: Well. . .I don't know. (hesitating)

Freddie: C'mon, you can try it. You're gonna love it!

Billy: No, thanks, Freddie! I don't need that in order to feel high. I have something even better. Here, it's called Challengers of the Unknown #11! Take a look for yourself.

Freddie: Woah. . .dude!

Did this ever make it onto Scott Shaw's "Oddball Comics" panel at the SD Comicon or in his internet presentation of the same name?

I don't know about the techniques they used at Atlas, but there are a few comics which have the APPEARANCE of greytones. These two are debatable. . .and at worst, Burgos (the Atlas Tales website credited him with them both) had a talent for drawing so many little lines that it damned well LOOKED like a greytone. There's a number of cool Burgos covers that follow this same technique.

battle45.jpg

battlefront33.jpg

And if the Burgos ones AREN'T greytones, then this certainly comes a lot closer. Coletta was and remains the target of a great deal of ridicule and animosity from Kirby fans for ruining Kirby's pencils, but could do some wonderful work under the right circumstances. There are a number of nice interior jobs he also did in the romance genre.

lovers64.jpg

Never saw that Wonder Woman before... that's a great cover, and a very nice looking cover to boot. Who's that artist... Andru and Espo?

Shep

A&E it is. It's a very subtle cover that grows on you over time. I traded away my copy years ago and have yet to replace it. sorry.gif

stadv150.jpg

WM copy, beautiful! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I saw Murphy's large size color cover recreation of that issue and it's tremendous. One of the best ones he did, IMHO.

I always keep an eye on this greytone thread.

Don't remember if anyone has posted this one. I forgot I owned it and rediscovered it today! I'm sure I bought it at a convention as a kid, no doubt because I liked the cover so much.

41917-scan0001resized.jpg.bf6a08fb1ed7e06904964b7f3268afbc.jpg

Edited by JohnT

I always keep an eye on this greytone thread.

Don't remember if anyone has posted this one. I forgot I owned it and rediscovered it today! I'm sure I bought it at a convention as a kid, no doubt because I liked the cover so much.

Wow, what a great book! Thanks for posting!! (thumbs u

Andy

Star Spangled War Stories #45 - According to Overstreet, the first DC greytone cover. Drawn by Jerry Grandenetti.

Star Spangled War Stories #45 is the first grey tone WAR cover. Adventure Comics #42 from 1939 has a grey tone cover!

West

West is correct and there are other GA comics from other publishers that used a greytone effect.

Even coming up with the list of greytones for DC that are post SSWS #45 isn't that easy as there are multiple greytone techniques and varying degrees of usage of those techniques on comic covers.

In any event, here's a cover that i consider to be a greytone.

MIS55.jpg

Yep...I would call it a greytone! Gorgeous book too! You must have a time machine at your disposal......