• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent Action #1 Sale

357 posts in this topic

It is in the cgc gallery.You can take a look at it right now.

It is owned by D.K

Well, if it's Danny, then he must have acquire this one way back in the days prior to CGC. Or was this more of a recent upgrade since I get the feeling that Danny seems to be more of a seller as opposed to the major purchaser he was back in the mid 90's?

Anybody know if DK's buying days are over or is he still missing some holes in his runs?

It is owned by D.K

Well, if it's Danny, then he must have acquire this one way back in the days prior to CGC. Or was this more of a recent upgrade since I get the feeling that Danny seems to be more of a seller as opposed to the major purchaser he was back in the mid 90's?

Anybody know if DK's buying days are over or is he still missing some holes in his runs?

The 8.5 is the PCE copy sold in the early 90s for some 137k or so

Some collectors have the funds to "construct" a collection on a large scale. They can afford to build a collection, not one piece at a time whenever something nice becomes available, but rather to hunt down actively the pieces they "need".

If wealthy collectors "need" this book, are they going to be upset at paying a high price, or are they going to hold it in their hands and feel happy?

In addition, a collection of anything brings together in one place and one time, things that would otherwise remain separate.

Now, don't judge the previous paragraph as a mere tautology. The collector's choice is what gives a collection meaning. It is possible that the "intellectual" value of a collection will be greater than the monetary cost of some of its pieces during its creation.

The value of this Action #1 could be judged by the importance of the future collection in which it finds itself. And I am sure their are many collectors that might judge the cost of their purchases by this criterion, no matter how humble or personally eclectic, their own collecting goals.

It is owned by D.K

Lou, it was definitely acquired by DK prior to CGC, back when he was in an acquisition mode. I have it on pretty good authority that he submitted the 8.5 copy to CGC. As far as I can tell, he's been pretty much in a disposal mode in recent years, and why wouldn't he be with JP willing to overpay for all of his books? But I imagine the Action 1 is as close to a "vault" book for him as it gets.

Now, don't judge the previous paragraph as a mere tautology. The collector's choice is what gives a collection meaning. It is possible that the "intellectual" value of a collection will be greater than the monetary cost of some of its pieces during its creation.

Ladies and gentlemen, the word of the day is...tautology.

Now run to your dictionaries.

I wasn't being critical of your past history, just your current statements in this thread. Your comments and mine now speak for themselves.

Our comments might speak for themselves, but I doubt the comments tell all. I agree Heritage may not be an accurate indicator of the market – for some things. But people in the market for an Action #1 and that have $100+ thousand to burn on a comic book are not bidding in Heritage on the run stuff and then when the Action #1 comes up say “Oops, I can’t afford the Action #1 because I bought that Batman #26 in CGC9.2 and those X-Men #95-99 in CGC 9.8 at $20 thousand” (or whatever).

Someone with $100+ thousand to spend on a comic book is obviously successful and had to be smart to get there (even if he has limited/no comic book knowledge). Are you seriously trying to tell us that this smart person was presented with ALL the facts (and NONE of the typical dealer slant) and then said – “yes, I agree with your asking price - I want to pay more than twice as much as anyone on earth has ever paid for this comic book”????

I'm thinking of putting my Showcase 4 (CGC 3.5) up for sale. I'm putting a $20,000

price on the book. Ill have to check for tape stains. Of course, they will be extra.

Since this is an Action 1 thread, my question is : Are returns allowed on the CGC Action 1 comic?

Would full disclosure include informing the buyer about this thread?

I wasn't being critical of your past history, just your current statements in this thread. Your comments and mine now speak for themselves.

Our comments might speak for themselves, but I doubt the comments tell all. I agree Heritage may not be an accurate indicator of the market – for some things. But people in the market for an Action #1 and that have $100+ thousand to burn on a comic book are not bidding in Heritage on the run stuff and then when the Action #1 comes up say “Oops, I can’t afford the Action #1 because I bought that Batman #26 in CGC9.2 and those X-Men #95-99 in CGC 9.8 at $20 thousand” (or whatever).

Someone with $100+ thousand to spend on a comic book is obviously successful and had to be smart to get there (even if he has limited/no comic book knowledge). Are you seriously trying to tell us that this smart person was presented with ALL the facts (and NONE of the typical dealer slant) and then said – “yes, I agree with your asking price - I want to pay more than twice as much as anyone on earth has ever paid for this comic book”????

Money <> Fiscal Intelligience

Money might = Inheritance.

Just a few equations to help you think the issue through.