• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recent Action #1 Sale

357 posts in this topic

One thing about the 4.0 copy is that it is a perfect candidate for restoration.If the stigma towards restoration begins to diminish,which it seems to be showing signs of doing,then that" foolish" investment may turn out to be a homerun.Someone is probably speculating on that and the movie hype to justify their purchase

No offense, but much like antique furniture I think if the book was restored the value would drop like a rock.

And I have seen absolutely no evidence of a movement towards acceptance of restored books. I know that one book doesn't make a trend, but didn't the More Fun 52 8.5 slight recently sell in Heritage for something like 10k? That was a pathetic price given how nice the book was.

I don't see any record of an 8.5 slight selling recently. There's an 8.5 extensive that sold 4 years ago for $7,762.50.

A MF 52 in slight ® was offered in the Heritage's big auction. The book failed to meet the reserve and never sold. I would have bought the book for $12000 based on the label but as I recall I was perplexed by the grade. I don't recall the defects but I remember wondering if the book should grade higher than a fine?

One thing about the 4.0 copy is that it is a perfect candidate for restoration.If the stigma towards restoration begins to diminish,which it seems to be showing signs of doing,then that" foolish" investment may turn out to be a homerun.Someone is probably speculating on that and the movie hype to justify their purchase

No offense, but much like antique furniture I think if the book was restored the value would drop like a rock.

Agreed. Getting it restored would probably be about the best way to guarantee that the book will never ever come close to recouping the $195K cost.

Ill take a shot at this

this is what i think the realistic prices should be on Action #1

MN-9.2 V.F FINE VG GOOD

1.5 MIL 725,000 250,000 100,000 50,000

Just my opinion...this is not a law of the universe before you all start jumpin on me.

I think if the Dentists book came up it probably would get between $3-$5 Million. I guess it is for this reason that prices are moving up across the board on lower grade unrestored copies. Tis proof that collector's should always buy the best. In my opinion, Action #1 assuredly qualifies as the best. If the coin hobby has coins that fetch multi-million dollar prices, does it not seem inevitable that the comic hobby will go the same route? confused-smiley-013.gif

start with this question first, before get ahead of ourselves:

"Mark, did you ask the person you got the book from about its past history, including whether or not it had ever been graded before, resubbed, or, of course, pressed?"

Agreed. Getting it restored would probably be about the best way to guarantee that the book will never ever come close to recouping the $195K cost.

I can be more specific.Restoring the damage around the cape alone will give it a mod to ext resto purple label.No question if restored this book would get A PLOD.

In that scenario you are talking about a 150k haircut to this book down to 50k conservitivly.

Restoring the damage around the cape alone will give it a mod to ext resto purple label.

I think you may be mistaken. The repair around the cape is minimal restoration -- a tear seal with a color touch smaller than the eraser on a pencil. This would be slight resto on every scale I've ever seen.

But yes, it would get a PLOD and significantly reduce the market value of the book even at a slight resto level.

Restoring the damage around the cape alone will give it a mod to ext resto purple label.

I think you may be mistaken. The repair around the cape is minimal restoration -- a tear seal with a color touch smaller than the eraser on a pencil. This would be slight resto on every scale I've ever seen.

But yes, it would get a PLOD and significantly reduce the market value of the book even at a slight resto level.

That is a darn big tear to call minor restoration to repair it with seal and color touch.

look at that thing,it is a significant rip. I cant agree its at least a mod resto to repair.At least to me.That would be alot of work to this book.,and dont forget fixing the tape tear.Yes it would be mod at least

"Mark, did you ask the person you got the book from about its past history, including whether or not it had ever been graded before, resubbed, or, of course, pressed?"

Absolutely did. I was told it had neither been pressed or previously graded.

Absolutely did. I was told it had neither been pressed or previously graded.

See -- that wasnt so hard! (if you ask right, that is...)

Unfortunately I don't have scans of the book before it was graded. Bechara might. The buyer was my customer.

Any chance of hearing the whole story? I would love to know the mindset when dealing with that type of purchase.

Trying to psyche yourself up for a big purchase? Anyway, the mindset varies according to ones' bank balance. tongue.gif