• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your high grade Fantastic Fours

399 posts in this topic

Dan,

I was right, that is a pedigree. It's the Curator copy!! Tom B used to own it and it got a very tiny bit of water damage from the rain (Tom relayed that he was transporting a box of books from his office to the car and it started raining and nothing else but the #13 got hit). That's definitely the Curator copy, Dan. No wonder it looks like a friggin' 9.6!! When Tom tells me that story I see moisture in his eyes and who can blame him!!

Doug

Looks like Mr. Rudd just got some good news. grin.gif

Dan,

I was right, that is a pedigree. It's the Curator copy!! Tom B used to own it and it got a very tiny bit of water damage from the rain (Tom relayed that he was transporting a box of books from his office to the car and it started raining and nothing else but the #13 got hit). That's definitely the Curator copy, Dan. No wonder it looks like a friggin' 9.6!! When Tom tells me that story I see moisture in his eyes and who can blame him!!

Doug

Looks like Mr. Rudd just got some good news. grin.gif

cloud9.gif

Hey Doug --

What keeps it out of a legit 9.6 is a tiny spot of front cover water damage above the word "comic" at the very top of the book. The rest of the book is unbelievable...fresh, flat, glossy, gorgeous! One of the finest FF's I was ever privileged enough to own.

Dan

A 9.2 can have a water spot, my theory of CGC grading has come to a crashing burning demise.

Very nice book.

What's wrong with a slight, almost-invisible water spot on an otherwise-9.6 book? I don't think that would knock the book out of 9.2, especially if there's no warping of the paper.

Best copy I ever saw of FF #13 was the 9.2 oww (below) copy I bought from Mark Wilson's website and then sold to Jamie Rudd (fantastic_four) for his HG run. I love this book, not only for its colors but for its introduction of the Watcher. (I now own the "Stan Lee file copy" of this book, signed by Stan himself! 4.0)

One of the best FF #13's!

FanFour13.jpg

Thanks for posting that book,Dan.It's a shame that it didn't get the Curator notation on the slab.I had always wanted to see a bigger scan of your copy.It sure is sharp! It's nice to see the other scans that have also been posted.The 33 that was posted was AWESOME.That was always one of my favs.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo( a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

ff18bjb.jpg[/img]

Here's a back cover to an FF 18 (7.5) that is incredibly WHITE.Cover stock on 1963 Marvels is very tough.I thought some of you might appreciate it.

Dan,

Doug

Doug, I thought I heard that all the Curator FFs were owned by someone in the comic industry? Is that not true?

Don't quote me,but I seem to remember Bob Storms(?) saying that he was allowed to purchase a few of the curators early on and that the 13 was one of them.

The sales after that were then halted.I have a question : Was there a Fantastic Four # 1 in the Pacific Coast collection and if so what was the general grade.Thanks.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Why that 19 didn't get a 9.8 is beyond me.Here's a few more.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo( a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

FF-22-96.jpg

Doug, is this #22 yours? If so, could you post a big scan? I always wondered how the lone 9.6 in the census compared to the better of my 9.4s (the one with the old label) because I thought it might have a shot at 9.6 on a resub. Beautiful registration on that copy, by the way. It's the best centered (on all four edges, even!), high-grade FF#22 I've ever seen.

Oh, and Jimbo (friend of JESUS), you are typing out the image tags twice, that's why all your scans have the [ image ] and [/ image] around them (I removed the extra set from the scan I quoted above so the second set of tags doesn't appear in the final post). To post a scan, just copy the URL from photobucket, then click on the "Image" link in the Instant UBB Code section, then copy the URL directly into the box and hit enter. That will automatically put image tags around your URL and you won't need to add in the image tags again.

Tim,

That is true. I stand corrected then on the FF 13. I could have sworn Tom told me it was the Curator copy that had the rain hit on the top of the mylar (if he had it in a polypropylene bag this never would've happened!!) but the whole set is intact (still ungraded) in the hands of a collector. My mistake on this one as there aren't 2 Curators on the FF's.

Doug

Scott,

When I tried to email Jimbo the larger scans, it was like 25mb for each email and they got bounced. I would have no problem doing it if I can figure out how.

This #22 is the Slobodian copy and is pretty nice, not as nice as the Pac coasts however. Your 22's look much whiter for sure, Scott.

Doug

FF-55-99.jpg

Never one to nit-pick CGC on the small stuff, but how does a 9.9 have a small something in the top front spine corner?

Barring that, the book does look pretty much perfect.

FF-55-99.jpg

Never one to nit-pick CGC on the small stuff, but how does a 9.9 have a small something in the top front spine corner?

If all books start off as 10's, get deductions for flaws, and that's the only flaw, then 9.9 makes sense.

If all books start off as 10's, get deductions for flaws, and that's the only flaw, then 9.9 makes sense.

That makes sense. Still 9.9 I'd be expecting to see sublime, flawless qualities on show. I've got 9.6's that fill that criteria.

Anyway, I'm only mildly playing the role of art critic on a book I'd own in a heart beat given the opportunity (and friendly asking price).

Hank,

I never thought in my wildest dreams it would get a 9.9. I was hoping for a 9.8 but since most of the bostons were coming back at 9.6 (Spidey's and FF's) I figured at least a 9.6. There is the absolute tiniest color fleck (if you can call it that) on the very top of the spine, obviously manufacturing in nature. I guess if you start at 10 that can be a 9.9.

If I re-submitted it today it might only get a 9.8 as they might be a little bit tougher now. Of coursr i'd never resubmit a 9.9 shooting for a 10!!

Doug