• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your high grade Fantastic Fours

399 posts in this topic

Here's the last one I've got.You know,Doug deserves a real tip of the hat for amassing this awesome run.These are NOT the type of books that one just picks up the phone and orders on a whim.Most of this stuff never even REALLY comes to market.It takes years of networking and "beating the bushes"to even get a shot at books of this calibre.Thanks again for sharing them,Doug.GOD BLESS...

Well, that's often true, but in this case I think it was mostly a case of snagging the PC run (which was publicly advertised, if I recall correctly) quickly. Instant best collection in the world (subject to the Curator run ever surfacing, and I've always wondered what the Western Penn FF run must be like, since the high grade books in that pedigree tend to go back a bit earlier than most of the other SA runs).

Which does not take away from Doug's accomplishment at all, since speed and willingness to push the button is all-important when a collection comes up for grabs. Doug, did you get all the PC FFs directly from PCE, or did you have to assemble them from various collectors/dealers?

these PC's are unbelievable

I hope Aussie Russ is seeing this thread and entering these into his databse.

If he's interested and Doug doesn't mind,I could send him the original emails which for some reason are a bit larger than the images that ended up here.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Tim,

I did not get one copy from Roter. Most of them came from a private collector who I did a series of trades with (he got Spideys, I got PC FF's). He flew out to Calif. when he heard of the original owner run and bouth 22 copies on the spot. Incredibly, I tracked down all 22 copies he bought that day from Roter (I even called Robert to confirm the 22 books!!). Some he had traded/sold (like the FF 15 and 18) and I tracked both of those down. All the rest I bought or traded for over the past 5 years. Amazingly, I never bought a single issue from PCEI. Same thing with the early Avengers, Daredevils, X-Men, Spideys, TOS's, TTA's and for the most part, the Strange Tales. I didn't want to buy these books from a (in my mind) classic overgrader especially when there was no return policy!! All of these early SA Marvel Pac Coasts came from mostly trades with a few purchases, none from Roter himself. If I only knew then about this collection what I know now I would have sold off all my books and bought the ENTIRE collection from him. I know Tom B feels the same way as this is truly the second best pedigree out there behind the Mile Highs. I could be wrong, but when the average grade of a book out of about 7,000 (1960's books no less!!) is 9.6, you rank!!

Again, I just wish I had taken a chance with Roter on these books when they were ungraded and ridiculously cheap. As it turns out, his grading was pretty darn good and I was a fool! At least I was able to track down most of these books over the past 5 years. I just love this pedigree. I don't believe one book has spine wear as I don't believe the oo ever read them.

these PC's are unbelievable

I hope Aussie Russ is seeing this thread and entering these into his databse.

If he's interested and Doug doesn't mind,I could send him the original emails which for some reason are a bit larger than the images that ended up here.GOD BLESS...

Hello friends.

Tim. Yes I have been lurking each day & adding the scans to my database. shy.gif

Jimbo, If Doug doesn't have a problem I would love you to foward on the larger scans. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

My Email address is rklawson@bigpond.net.au

I do have a limit on my E-mail folder so I have had several people sending a few scans each day instead of one bulk lot.

Doug. G'day mate. Thanks so very for sharing the scans with us. I know that I get a great deal of enjoyment revisiting my collection from time to time. I can only imagine how much you must enjoy doing the same. cloud9.gif

Regards,

Russ... flowerred.gif

I did not get one copy from Roter. Most of them came from a private collector who I did a series of trades with (he got Spideys, I got PC FF's). He flew out to Calif. when he heard of the original owner run and bouth 22 copies on the spot. Incredibly, I tracked down all 22 copies he bought that day from Roter (I even called Robert to confirm the 22 books!!). Some he had traded/sold (like the FF 15 and 18) and I tracked both of those down. All the rest I bought or traded for over the past 5 years. Amazingly, I never bought a single issue from PCEI. Same thing with the early Avengers, Daredevils, X-Men, Spideys, TOS's, TTA's and for the most part, the Strange Tales.

Now THAT is impressive, being able to reconstitute the collection from all the different people that had bought up pieces of the collection! hail.gif

I didn't want to buy these books from a (in my mind) classic overgrader especially when there was no return policy!! All of these early SA Marvel Pac Coasts came from mostly trades with a few purchases, none from Roter himself. If I only knew then about this collection what I know now I would have sold off all my books and bought the ENTIRE collection from him. I know Tom B feels the same way as this is truly the second best pedigree out there behind the Mile Highs. I could be wrong, but when the average grade of a book out of about 7,000 (1960's books no less!!) is 9.6, you rank!!

Again, I just wish I had taken a chance with Roter on these books when they were ungraded and ridiculously cheap. As it turns out, his grading was pretty darn good and I was a fool!

I can totally relate. I remember when the ads came out, and I was like "No way can these books be that good, and what drugs is Roter on for charging these prices?!" And then word slowly started to filter out, and I picked up a few raw copies, and like you I wish I had just bought everything I could get my hands on at the beginning.

Of course, he never put all the big DC titles out for sale like he did with the Marvels. frustrated.giffrown.gif

Tim,

Also, when Roter's ads came out, I was into the horror genre as well and bought a bunch of Bethlehem Atlas and assorted stuff from Marnin Rosenberg at around the same time. Looking back, I should have just stuck to what I knew and loved best, high grade SA Marvels. I wound up getting rid of all my horror stuff anyway (cool books but just not worth it for me to hold onto) and was able to track down most of Roter's advertised anyway (at a much higher cost of course). Damn, if I had only bought the TOS run I purchased from Mark Arrand (Colmore Comics) directly from Roter!! Comparitively, his pre-CGC prices seem ridiculously low at this ponit, Tim!!

Doug

Here's a Pacific Coast FF # 8 that is for sale on www.comiclink.com .Just a 9.0,but I always considered that to be highgrade.GOD BLESS...

ff8-pc.jpg

If I'd gone to college and become an architect instead of taking 22 years off to "find " myself,I'd have snagged this one last year when it was listed at $1900.

On the other hand,I need to remember to be grateful for what I have,there's always someone who has it worse.GOD BLESS...

giantshark.jpg[/img]

Jimbo,

I used to own the Pac Coast FF 8 and its real nice. It just didn't make sense to keep it as part of my PC run when I had a 9.6 copy.

I just emailed you 8 more scans (all FF's in the 40's). Post away, buddy!! I just didn't want this thread to lose steam.

Thanks again for all your efforts here, Jimbo. And yes, the FF 35 9.8 is yours for a full year's worth of gardening and lawnmowing services at the Schmell home!!

Doug

Jimbo,

I used to own the Pac Coast FF 8 and its real nice. It just didn't make sense to keep it as part of my PC run when I had a 9.6 copy.

I just emailed you 8 more scans (all FF's in the 40's). Post away, buddy!! I just didn't want this thread to lose steam.

Thanks again for all your efforts here, Jimbo. And yes, the FF 35 9.8 is yours for a full year's worth of gardening and lawnmowing services at the Schmell home!!

Doug

Let me guess,your house is nestled in the everglades on 12 acres and the last 3 gardeners were eaten by "gators 27_laughing.gif.GOD BLESS...

p.s. I probably shouldn't joke about that as I had an ex-girlfriend who came from Fla. and lost her family dog to a "gator.

Here's a sharp copy of an issue that is notoriously tough to find with good centering.The FF really turned the corner in this one,firmly establishing itself in the annals of comicdom.GOD BLESS...

FF-40-96.jpg

Here's a fairly decent copy of one of my favorite FF covers(it helps if you like purple grin.gif).This is another issue that just DOESN'T change hands in high grade.GOD BLESS...

FF-42-98.jpg

Talk about a dramatic shot.Somehow we all knew,as bad as it looked,that ole Benjy wasn't to be counted out yet.Never one to waste space,Jolly Jack certainly gave us our moneys worth on this one.GOD BLESS...

FF-43-96.jpg