• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,086 posts in this topic

Just picked this up from a Boardie - first Silver Age issue (10/56), Grandenetti (cover) and interior stories drawn by Andru, Heath, Infantino, and Kubert.

06f4ca6f-df19-446b-bdbd-e957cedeb535_zps86069e7b.jpg

Pages are cream but that's OK - I still like it a lot.

Just picked this up from a Boardie - first Silver Age issue (10/56), Grandenetti (cover) and interior stories drawn by Andru, Heath, Infantino, and Kubert.

That's a beauty, Steve!! Congrats!! Love the DC Reds and the DC 5000 contest mentioned at the top. Those books are so cool!

SLR

That's an all-star line up of artists! :applause:

Thanks for the tip on this little guy. This contains Bill Everett's one & only story he ever drew for DC.

AAMOW77pic.jpg

February, 1960 - very interesting, I didn't know that (many thanks).

I have a nice copy of that book so I wouldn'ta been such a nice boy to show that copy to you if it weren't for that. That one is a truly smokin' fresh AdamStrange kinda book, no less. The Everett is such an anomaly on a DC book from ANY time period. I'll see if I can take some pics of my copy without bending the pages TOO far back. . . no matter how much the thought of that makes Andy drool.

That's an all-star line up of artists! :applause:

What an ALL STAR lineup!! My own copy of that is in a furshlugginer potrzebie slab so I haven't read it. Yes, I love raw books more than slabbed ones, but if they're in the furshlugginer potrzebie slabs, I've decided to leave 'em there.

nosferatua_zps5c7ea93c.jpg

Once I'm dead and my fam has pried the raws from my cold hands, I don't envy them for the ensuing slabbing fees. I've decided not to saddle 'em up with any extra slabbing fees if they've already been slabbed simply for the unrivaled pleasure of freeing them from their prison and smelling and reading and hugging and loving them, George!

My all star lineup on a war book from that era would be Grandenetti cover and stories by Heath, Kubert, Drucker and Severin.

I don't know if such a grail war book exists. Maybe I should go through Pedrin to find out.

Edited by Jeffro

I promised some scans of the AAMOW 77. Here's my own copy. It's a single-staple book. . .there never WAS a lower staple. Some kind of publisher's defect for an otherwise pretty copy. I bought it a LONG time ago from Gene Carpenter in San Diego.

aamow77.jpg

Here's page 1 of the Everett story

aamow77_1_zpsc5a98846.jpg

page 2

aamow77_2_zps90250730.jpg

page 3

aamow77_3_zps6b1c9079.jpg

Sorry, didn't have time to mess with any more scans.

I forgot to post one other con purchase. I don't mess with Atlas war too much since I sold off the majority of my Atlas collection a number of years back, but this one, with a Gene Colan cover, was irresistible. I don't know how many Colan covers there are in Atlas, but I don't recall seeing many if there were any at all.

mib22_zpse140676c.jpg

I need some help please:

I'm looking for the title of the Kubert story from Our Fighting Forces 29, it's the first story of the book.

I do not own the book, so I can't check on my own. Comics.org says that the story is titled "Listen to a Jet". I just bought a page of OA from that story, but there's no title on it, but I saw the OA to page 2 and the title is "Letter to a Jet".

I'm wondering which title is right.

Any help on this would be appreciated!

Cheers

Mike