• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Welcome to the boards!

I wish I COULD afford that story. "Easy's First Tiger" is widely recognized as THE Heath story to own. He just put his heart and soul into it. . .including the writing as I recall. Major Heath Tour de Force. Such an awesome story! I'll be watching that auction for sure!

Don't be a stranger around here!

Guys - new to the website and found it while searching for info on OAAW #244 - the issue that I remember more than any other for the incredible Tiger drawn by Russ Heath. Opening that issue and turning to the two page spread is a memory that is clear as day to me.

This, to me is the Holy Grail of Heath stories - drawn and written by him. The detail and scope of the scenes, including the Warhawks/Tomahawks attacking the Tigers, is amazing.

I read 30 or 40 pages of this thread then skipped to the end to see if it was still active - if someone has already posted what I am posting, I apologize.

What got me looking around was an email I got from Heritage Auctions. They track certain artists for me including Russ Heath. This weekend (November 21-23, 2013) the auction includes the entire 14-page original art for Easy's First Tiger in issue #244. It is the ultimate in Heath art (at least for me) and my not come back up for sale again for years - if ever. Bids are already over $5,000 and I could see it going for multiples of that when the live bidding starts. Just wanted to let you Heath fans know in case you have $15-20k lying around to take advantage of this. Heritage has made so much original art available but the prices seem to get a little astronomical.

Just thought someone might like to know.

I have put a maximum bid on it and hopefully i'll get for well below although I seriously doubt it.

Welcome to the boards!

I wish I COULD afford that story. "Easy's First Tiger" is widely recognized as THE Heath story to own. He just put his heart and soul into it. . .including the writing as I recall. Major Heath Tour de Force. Such an awesome story! I'll be watching that auction for sure!

Don't be a stranger around here!

I agree, this is going to be a fun auction to watch. If someone on the boards here wins I hope you share about it!

Thought some of you might enjoy seeing this. I honestly don't remember who I got this from. I think somebody gave it to me as a gift which I'd stored away for a long time. I know there're collectors on these boards who like to get foreign versions of certain comics. This French language (right??) one is the cover to AAMOW #52 by Kubert. The interior B&W stories are all 50s stories by Severin, Heath, Novick, Andru/Esposito, and Drucker. Pretty amazing that it includes such an awesome array of artists.

frenchaamow52_zpsed127254.jpg

Thought some of you might enjoy seeing this. I honestly don't remember who I got this from. I think somebody gave it to me as a gift which I'd stored away for a long time. I know there're collectors on these boards who like to get foreign versions of certain comics. This French language (right??) one is the cover to AAMOW #52 by Kubert. The interior B&W stories are all 50s stories by Severin, Heath, Novick, Andru/Esposito, and Drucker. Pretty amazing that it includes such an awesome array of artists.

That is beautiful!

Guys - new to the website and found it while searching for info on OAAW #244 - the issue that I remember more than any other for the incredible Tiger drawn by Russ Heath. Opening that issue and turning to the two page spread is a memory that is clear as day to me.

This, to me is the Holy Grail of Heath stories - drawn and written by him. The detail and scope of the scenes, including the Warhawks/Tomahawks attacking the Tigers, is amazing.

I read 30 or 40 pages of this thread then skipped to the end to see if it was still active - if someone has already posted what I am posting, I apologize.

What got me looking around was an email I got from Heritage Auctions. They track certain artists for me including Russ Heath. This weekend (November 21-23, 2013) the auction includes the entire 14-page original art for Easy's First Tiger in issue #244. It is the ultimate in Heath art (at least for me) and my not come back up for sale again for years - if ever. Bids are already over $5,000 and I could see it going for multiples of that when the live bidding starts. Just wanted to let you Heath fans know in case you have $15-20k lying around to take advantage of this. Heritage has made so much original art available but the prices seem to get a little astronomical.

Am I the only one who was surprised by how low the winning bid was on this?

What was the winning bid? Does anyone know how much that cover reproduction by Heath went for? :gossip:

What was the winning bid? Does anyone know how much that cover reproduction by Heath went for? :gossip:

Winning bid with vig was $11,950. The repro of AAMOW 110 went for $2031.50.

I know that the Easy's First Tiger story by Heath is coveted among DC war collectors, but that comprises a pretty small group of people at the end of the day. I'm positive that it's appreciated by art collectors in general, but no more so than any other 70s Heath Rock story, and there are quite a few that are in existence and, presumably, in people's collections. If I had the money, I'd have sported for it, but that's just it. I don't think most of your DC war guys have that kinda change sitting around.

Is it cooler than the vast majority of stuff that reaches that price range? By a million light years. . .there's a lot of art out there that gets just STOOOOOPID prices and isn't anywhere near as cool. Oh well. . .

I'll apologize in advance for posting these "low rent" Atlas books..... but I really have become quite smitten by them. The website www.atlastales.com gets a big Kudos for that..... it is the "PhotoJournal" of all things Atlas..... a publisher that was sadly left wanting in Gerber's magnum opus. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

101_2512.jpg

101_2511.jpg

101_2507-1.jpg

101_2510-1.jpg

..... For some reason I find the "portrait" covers to be very compelling....

Edited by jimjum12

That's very cool

I'll apologize in advance for posting these "low rent" Atlas books..... but I really have become quite smitten by them.

I like all things Atlas too! And I really like Atlas war comics because so many stories were based on the Korean war with jets, helicopters and other "modern" weaponry!

(thumbs u

I'll apologize in advance for posting these "low rent" Atlas books..... but I really have become quite smitten by them.

I like all things Atlas too! And I really like Atlas war comics because so many stories were based on the Korean war with jets, helicopters and other "modern" weaponry!

(thumbs u

...... the historical stories are also very well done. It's also refreshing to be able to pick up a scarce high grade 50's book for a $100 bucks or LESS in many cases. I have really started appreciating the '56 to '57 Colan stories that are sometimes referred to as his "Drucker period"....... they're awesome. The occasional Wildey stories are also fantastic. The Battle Front 46 has one of the few uncredited stories on www.atlastales.com that I would bet money is by Wildey.... titled "Platoon Leader". Wildey usually did historicals, but this one is a modern story. GOD BLESS...

101_2512.jpg

I might be mistaken, but I believe Bachara Maloof has the original art to that cover available. He wants a ton of dough for it though.

Great books, Jim (thumbs u

I'll apologize in advance for posting these "low rent" Atlas books..... but I really have become quite smitten by them. The website www.atlastales.com gets a big Kudos for that..... it is the "PhotoJournal" of all things Atlas..... a publisher that was sadly left wanting in Gerber's magnum opus. GOD BLESS....

101_2512.jpg

101_2511.jpg

101_2507-1.jpg

101_2510-1.jpg

..... For some reason I find the "portrait" covers to be very compelling....

I am with you Jimbo, these boks are great, thanks so much for that link, I have never seen that site before, thats me busy all night now :grin:

101_2512.jpg

I might be mistaken, but I believe Bachara Maloof has the original art to that cover available. He wants a ton of dough for it though.

Great books, Jim (thumbs u

..... It's one of my favorites..... which is saying a lot when it comes to Atlas war. Maneely really took his time on that one...... when I first saw a thumbnail of it, I thought it was surely a Heath cover...... I guess 'ole Joe wanted to show off that day. GOD BLESS....