• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

I'm really likeing Atlas war lately...... some really neat stuff that doesn't break the bank. I'm already noticing some spikes on some of the classic covers. I've really been impressed by the Gene Colan stories that are in so many of them from about 1955 on. I think I may have been eyeing that very copy...... eBay ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Here is a copy of Battlefield #8, Just love Bill Everett cover art.

I love Everett, too, but that looks decidedly like Heath art to me. It's a little strange in that there doesn't appear to be a signature, which is unusual for Heath AND Everett. But I'm 99% sure that's Heath.

Mick

You guys might be right, This is the only war comic I have.

I bought it thinking it was Everett as it is noted in Overstreet.

But I also picked it up because I thought it was a cool cover and it's a river city copy and I love getting pedigrees raw sometimes to read and enjoy them.

I've done it with TTA Boston's then sent them in later for certification.

Russ did a sneaky job of hiding that signature. Usually, they're relatively easy to spot, but I had to search even after Dan said that it was under the guy's arm. It's not under his arm in the foreground, but under his left (our right) arm, kind of under the armpit. Tiny little R. Heath. Sweet cover!!!!! And you can't go wrong with an Everett interior!

Guys - new to the website and found it while searching for info on OAAW #244 - the issue that I remember more than any other for the incredible Tiger drawn by Russ Heath. Opening that issue and turning to the two page spread is a memory that is clear as day to me.

This, to me is the Holy Grail of Heath stories - drawn and written by him. The detail and scope of the scenes, including the Warhawks/Tomahawks attacking the Tigers, is amazing.

I read 30 or 40 pages of this thread then skipped to the end to see if it was still active - if someone has already posted what I am posting, I apologize.

What got me looking around was an email I got from Heritage Auctions. They track certain artists for me including Russ Heath. This weekend (November 21-23, 2013) the auction includes the entire 14-page original art for Easy's First Tiger in issue #244. It is the ultimate in Heath art (at least for me) and my not come back up for sale again for years - if ever. Bids are already over $5,000 and I could see it going for multiples of that when the live bidding starts. Just wanted to let you Heath fans know in case you have $15-20k lying around to take advantage of this. Heritage has made so much original art available but the prices seem to get a little astronomical.

Just thought someone might like to know.