• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Here's 3 war books I've been looking for a long time..... the first 2 are keepers, the 3rd I hope to upgrade someday.... an awesome Anderson cover. The other two are Heath. I can't afford runs of Atlas so I seek out issues with favorite covers and ALSO interior stories by favorite artists. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

101_2110.jpg

101_2108.jpg

101_2125.jpg

I particularly like Gene Colan stories. Others that catch my attention are Williamson, Wildey, Maneely, Drucker, Lawrence, Heath, Severin, and Anderson..... although there are others too. A book with an awesome cover and two or more interior stories by the above will end up on my short list. GOD BLESS....

101_2119.jpg

101_2120.jpg

101_2121.jpg

Gene Colan is just SO under rated..... everyone knows about his Daredevil and TOD stuff.... so under rated may not really be an accurate assessment.... but his Atlas output is so versatile. An artist who got much work from Atlas in the 50's HAD to be. GOD BLESS...

101_2130.jpg

101_2132.jpg

101_2133.jpg

101_2135.jpg

Wow that BF26 is a BEUT!

..... that cover has floored me since the first time I laid eyes on it. Those guys mean BUSINESS. You don't want them to mobilize on you. My very favorite Atlas war covers are usually Heath, Severin, and Everett..... although there are others. The Art Direction at Atlas seemed a little different from D.C., a little looser ..... not better, just different. The covers were more moody and atmospheric to me..... especially with Heath..... and Atlas embraced a darker pallet. It seems Heath did the covers at Atlas that he couldn't do at D.C. GOD BLESS...

Took two prisoners in the latest C'link auction. :sumo:

Star Spangled War Stories #115. Boston pedigree dino issue.

RAD274E02013913_81126.jpg

Our Fighting Forces #93. Frogmen on the cover, white pages inside.

RAD4606F2013830_123845.jpg

Nice books - love the colors on them!

The only thing better than one book with a dino and another with a frogman is a single cover with BOTH!

SSWS_094.jpg

Here's 3 war books I've been looking for a long time..... the first 2 are keepers, the 3rd I hope to upgrade someday.... an awesome Anderson cover. The other two are Heath. I can't afford runs of Atlas so I seek out issues with favorite covers and ALSO interior stories by favorite artists. GOD BLESS...

101_2110.jpg

101_2108.jpg

101_2125.jpg

Those are all wonderful Atlas books, James! Seriously cool scores every step of the way!

Gene Colan is just SO under rated..... everyone knows about his Daredevil and TOD stuff.... so under rated may not really be an accurate assessment.... but his Atlas output is so versatile. An artist who got much work from Atlas in the 50's HAD to be. GOD BLESS...

101_2130.jpg

I always thought that Colan and Drucker had similar styles in that they both explored elements of chiaroscuro in their work. Check out the lower right panel on the splash and the middle-left panel on page 2. Those are what I consider quintessential Colan (and Drucker) flourishes. It's like combining war with film-noir. Killer stuff. I like Colan's Marvel stuff, but not as much as I like his Atlas and pre-hero Marvel stuff. Nice pick-up. Which issue is that from, James?

This is from Battle 34....... and Colan has quickly become one of my favorite of the Atlas war contributors. This particular story is fantastic.... even for him. I'm going to try and post a page or so from a Roosevelt story from the same issue..... it's uncredited on www.atlastales.com ..... but I see some of what looks like Drucker in it ...... not as polished as "Zero Minus 3" ..... but still real decent. GOD BLESS...

P.S. I placed a WTB post in that forum..... but will mention it here also. Anyone with a Navy Action 16 with nice pages in Fine or better...... I'd go at least double guide for it.

Those books are beauties!!!!

Just a heads up. Starting a war sale in the selling forum later this week - looking like Wednesday if all goes well. Largely bronze age books, all titles. Going to be some nice stuff.

Hope all are well,

Shep

Thanks for posting all the interior scans, Jimbo! (worship)