• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Those books are beauties!!!!

Just a heads up. Starting a war sale in the selling forum later this week - looking like Wednesday if all goes well. Largely bronze age books, all titles. Going to be some nice stuff.

Hope all are well,

Shep

Just a heads up to everyone. Sale starts tomorrow at 6pm EST. Hope to see you there. Mostly Our Fighting Forces in the Silver/Bronze selling forum.

Here's the T.R. story mentioned above. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

101_2137.jpg

101_2138.jpg

101_2140.jpg

Hiya James,

That's a great story, but I don't think there's any Drucker in there. Hard to pin down exactly. Some parts remind me of Romita and others remind me of Fred Kida. . .especially the guy on page 2 with a pipe in his mouth. Drucker employs much more shadows in his work.

Always loved the Navy Action so I'm glad other people are appreciating Everett's great cover art.

I don't see any Drucker or Colan involvement with this story. Not sure who it is as there's some swipage and it's not of very high artistic quality. Even so, I still like these historically based stories and wish DC had done ones like them in the 50s.

Here's the T.R. story mentioned above. GOD BLESS....

101_2137.jpg

Kida may be a good guess. The only reason I thought Drucker, is based on a couple of other attributed stories involving historical subjects like the Civil War. Granted, THOSE stories seemed questionable to me also. The grass silhouette in the splash panel looked a little like Drucker as did the line weight in much of the story, but that isn't something known only to him. GOD BLESS...

Hi guys,

I'm doing a Russ Heath Survivor Series in Comics General and right now I'm looking for nominations for the contest. If you could, please go to the thread and post your faves.

I'll let you know when the official contest gets underway.

Thanks,

Andy

Hello to War Comic collectors,

I am hooked with OAAW, G.I. Combat and OFF since I was a boy. That is about 40 years ago back in 1973.

Right now, I own about 900 of them and half of them are CGC'ed. I know everybody prefer Spidey, Avengers, Batman, Superman or any key issues because of marketable and demands.

Do you think I waste my money on the war comic books? However, I always love them. Do you think it is mistake to collect them even I won't stop?

If you love the comics genre, it isn't a waste of money no matter WHICH genre it's from. War comics have consistently maintained a pretty steady fan-base over the last 15 or so years judging from the dealers' complaints that they can't keep up with the demand. I think that the lower grade issues have proven more difficult to sell at guide prices (which I think are a bit overinflated. . .but that's NOT a problem relegated to the war genre alone), but in general, war books have really attained quite a degree of "respect" in the eyes of a lot of collectors, dealers, and even creators--young and old.

Will they have that staying power when people like you and me are old and either WE or our families elect to sell our prized collections? Not so sure, but I'm not too worried about it. I'm crazy about them, too, so if their value took a dive, I'd try to scoop as many as I could. And when I'm dead, my fam can do whatever they want with them.

Do you have any cool ones that you want to scan and post here?

Do you think I waste my money on the war comic books?

No...and welcome to the War thread.

If you love the comics genre, it isn't a waste of money no matter WHICH genre it's from. War comics have consistently maintained a pretty steady fan-base over the last 15 or so years judging from the dealers' complaints that they can't keep up with the demand. I think that the lower grade issues have proven more difficult to sell at guide prices (which I think are a bit overinflated. . .but that's NOT a problem relegated to the war genre alone), but in general, war books have really attained quite a degree of "respect" in the eyes of a lot of collectors, dealers, and even creators--young and old.

Will they have that staying power when people like you and me are old and either WE or our families elect to sell our prized collections? Not so sure, but I'm not too worried about it. I'm crazy about them, too, so if their value took a dive, I'd try to scoop as many as I could. And when I'm dead, my fam can do whatever they want with them.

Do you have any cool ones that you want to scan and post here?

...... a lot of show dealers don't want to trade war books..... a good sign of their liquidity. I started appreciating war books when I followed Kirby to D.C. back in the 70's. I didn't really start adding them to my collection until I came here and started snooping around this thread. At this point I'm more into Atlas' "done in one" approach with short story anthologies..... and the DC output is so vast and expensive for a late comer like me. One way to look at the heirs..... it will be straight profit for them when they sell.... and any decent family member will want you to have that hobby that you enjoy. GOD BLESS....

Round 1 for the Russ Heath Survivor Series is now up and running. Each round only lasts 2 days so please get in there and vote for your least favorites.

I hope that you guys can find the time to participate. For me, it's a great deal of fun seeing how the rounds progress, but to set up the whole thing and the beginning of each round, it's a great deal of work, too.

With that being said, please vote. :foryou:

Thanks, my friends.

Andy

Hey all,

Some interesting magazines over at my latest selling thread... Blazing Combat, Savage,Thrilling Adventure... some great and rarely seen art by Heath, Severin, Toth, and others.

Be checkin' it at http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7123353&fpart=1

Thanks!

Shep

Just took advantage of the DTACollectibles 30% off October sale. It was my first time with these folks and I was pretty happy. I snagged a Fine and 2 Very Fines and will definitely NOT be sending them back. I was in a hurry and snapped them all in the bag..... so lower left ripplinhg is the from the Bag. The Devil-Dog Dugan is one of my favorite Severin covers, while the other two have Maneely cover and Kida cover. The scans of their VG's look good also....which is often as good as Atlas gets...... I felt very fortunate to get these at all.... much less at discount. GOD BLESS.....

101_2439.jpg

101_2437.jpg

101_2438.jpg