• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

Famous Funnies #207 is a great looking book! I always liked #204 as well:

Famous_Funnies_204_zps1667171c.jpg

You've posted some real beauties. I'm a DC freak, but it's totally refreshing to see stuff along these lines since it's seen so infrequently. Rock on, Croc! Post more!

You've posted some real beauties. I'm a DC freak, but it's totally refreshing to see stuff along these lines since it's seen so infrequently. Rock on, Croc! Post more!

Thanks for the kudos. Most of my war books are GA (though I sure do miss my OAAW #83!). I guess these Famous Funnies are technically GA as well, but here are a couple of more from the run:

Famous_Funnies_208_zpsb5268676.jpg

This one also posted by Dr Love, but here is mine:

Famous_Funnies_207_zpsa0b05ab5.jpg

I'm still looking for a higher grade 205 to complete the mini run.

Okay, this isn't war but being a John Severin cover, it is war related. Awesome cover.

Wow, that's really nice! I've never seen that before. I'm on the lookout for that!

Good luck. I did a quick search around and didn't see any copies.

Last year, late one night, I stumbled upon your Survivor thread. Stumbled, as in I never look at even the thread titles in General. But it was particularly remarkable for me as I had no previous exposure to Russ Heath. None, nada. I'd been heads down in romance for forever, and I had never owned either of the only two Heath romance Atlas covers.

So I had the enjoyment of running the whole series down in one unbelievable multi-hour experience. I looked ahead enough to see that the rounds were limited and had come to a finale, and so over the course of that one evening I strung it out for myself and let the anticipation build. Do a round, take a little break, get something to eat, come back for the next round. Repeat. Certain covers would lead me down wonderful side paths, making notes and marking down titles I wanted to explore later, for all the genres were new to me.

From the get go the GIC 80 just blew me away - it was a revelation. When it was declared the winner, I was drunk with the feeling of brotherhood, vindication, and perhaps some adult beverages.

Thank you Andy for putting on one hell of a show! One of my most powerful board/comic experiences EVER. (thumbs u

Last year, late one night, I stumbled upon your Survivor thread. Stumbled, as in I never look at even the thread titles in General. But it was particularly remarkable for me as I had no previous exposure to Russ Heath. None, nada. I'd been heads down in romance for forever, and I had never owned either of the only two Heath romance Atlas covers.

So I had the enjoyment of running the whole series down in one unbelievable multi-hour experience. I looked ahead enough to see that the rounds were limited and had come to a finale, and so over the course of that one evening I strung it out for myself and let the anticipation build. Do a round, take a little break, get something to eat, come back for the next round. Repeat. Certain covers would lead me down wonderful side paths, making notes and marking down titles I wanted to explore later, for all the genres were new to me.

From the get go the GIC 80 just blew me away - it was a revelation. When it was declared the winner, I was drunk with the feeling of brotherhood, vindication, and perhaps some adult beverages.

Thank you Andy for putting on one hell of a show! One of my most powerful board/comic experiences EVER. (thumbs u

That's a great story, Doc!

And that is our Boards at their best.

And that is also Russ Heath for ya. :)

Wow! Thank you for posting this. :applause: If you hadn't, I never would have known that someone got this much out of one of my contests.

I really enjoy putting those on, but hands down the reason I do it is to allow our fellow boardies a feeling of enjoyment and amusement.

Great story!! :headbang:

Wow! Thank you for posting this. :applause: If you hadn't, I never would have known that someone got this much out of one of my contests.

I really enjoy putting those on, but hands down the reason I do it is to allow our fellow boardies a feeling of enjoyment and amusement.

Great story!! :headbang:

+1

The collective cool in this discussion about the best war comics cover threads is over the top, boys! That is such a great frickˆn cover! So glad that other people are as wacko about it (and most of those others in the top-20) as me.

Maybe it's time for another war cover Survivor thread? :idea: I never get tired of those!

Hello War Comic Collectors (included me too)!

I know I sounded silly. I started to collect Star Spangled War Stories in late 2014 focusing on Mademoiselle Marie, Enemy Ace and Unknown Soldier. I never thought about the Dinosaur covers -- soon I will receive #90 from MSC that begins "War that Time Forgot" series.

Did those dinosaurs eat soldiers? I never saw or open the books to see what happened to them. Those wrecked all war machines but not men?