• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,088 posts in this topic

A big shout out to my war comics brother Andy Greenham, who came by on Saturday night to drink a couple of beers, see some war comics, and shoot the breeze. And he didn't even mind my crazy kids, and their never-ending sleepovers and shenanigans! Andy, you're a quality dude.

And thanks for the kind gift, my man! It's great having another war fan in my neck of the woods - can't wait 'til next time.

Shep

A big shout out to my war comics brother Andy Greenham, who came by on Saturday night to drink a couple of beers, see some war comics, and shoot the breeze. And he didn't even mind my crazy kids, and their never-ending sleepovers and shenanigans! Andy, you're a quality dude.

And thanks for the kind gift, my man! It's great having another war fan in my neck of the woods - can't wait 'til next time.

Shep

Thanks for the kind words, Shep! The pleasure of the visit was truly all mine. (worship)

And thanks for the kind gift, my man!

Andy is incredibly generous indeed. :applause:

I'm not wealthy, but I do try to follow the expression "share the wealth". :foryou:

Andy

I have a fondness for war, however I know very little about them as they tend to be outside my collecting focus. Eventually I will be adding more and more into my collection. Granted I do collect Sgt Fury and know that the early issue can be a pain to find in higher grades.

My questions are simple, well maybe (perhaps a seperate thread can be started)

What titles are the least respected / desirable? Which are the hardest books to find in decent shape or at all? which are the least?

The more info the better and sample pics would be great as well.

What titles are the least respected / desirable? Which are the hardest books to find in decent shape or at all? which are the least?

DC War elicit little interest and have virtually no saleability. Comics featuring recurring heroes like Sgt Rock, Haunted Tank, Mlle Marie are passed over to get anthology books. OAAW 83 and GIC 87 are common in HG so sell soon and cheap to the next sucker to avoid getting stuck with copies.

That should keep you from stumbling up a few blind alleys (thumbs u

DC War elicit little interest and have virtually no saleability. Comics featuring recurring heroes like Sgt Rock, Haunted Tank, Mlle Marie are passed over to get anthology books. OAAW 83 and GIC 87 are common in HG so sell soon and cheap to the next sucker to avoid getting stuck with copies.

That seems to be the same advice I got. hm

Stick with hero books... way more collectible than lousy old war comics. ;)

My suggestion to anyone digging into DC war comics is to sample the very best, and spread out from there. So, start off with some nice VFish copies of Our Army at War #206 to #273, any of the issues with Sgt. Rock stories drawn by Russ Heath (in particular, try #215, #218, #230, #235, #239, #244, #245, #256-#259 and #273 - friggin' classics all.)

If you're collecting for investment purposes, the big guns are OAAW #81, #82, #83, #88 and #91; GI Combat #68, and #87, All American Men of War #47, Our Fighting Forces #45 for starters. But if you want any of them out of beater shape, be prepared to pay.

Shep

Should have followed it. :baiting:

Stick with hero books... way more collectible than lousy old war comics. ;)

My suggestion to anyone digging into DC war comics is to sample the very best, and spread out from there. So, start off with some nice VFish copies of Our Army at War #206 to #273, any of the issues with Sgt. Rock stories drawn by Russ Heath (in particular, try #215, #218, #230, #235, #239, #244, #245, #256-#259 and #273 - friggin' classics all.)

If you're collecting for investment purposes, the big guns are OAAW #81, #82, #83, #88 and #91; GI Combat #68, and #87, All American Men of War #47, Our Fighting Forces #45 for starters. But if you want any of them out of beater shape, be prepared to pay.

Shep

That should read AAMOW #67, not 47. (thumbs u

Andy

Should have followed it. :baiting:

Yeah, I was going to ask why he didn't follow it. :makepoint:

Some of you guys are a riot.

Good thing I already have those OAAW just never paid much attention to them :whistle:

Your question is pretty broad and this thread probably contains the best answers. You'll see covers, interiors and discussion about scarcity and desirability. Not sure there's any better place to steer you. (shrug)