• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

I think that CA used to be mine. Sold it to Vaughn about 6 years ago. Great book!

You are correct sir! Gorgeous book and sad to see it go.

..... it's got a good home, Vaughn. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

In OAAW #87 ('Calling Easy Co.!'), four soldiers sent to hold No-Return Hill are apparently KIA (not shown in the story) as they are carried off the field by first aid teams.

So while operating under the Code (or editorial guidelines), how do the DC war books generally handle the subject of death?

I think the silver age stories are a bit more reserved when it comes to the graphic details of war, but DC bronze war comics often show ample death. Not in an over the top pre-code horror type of way, but it's there. Soldiers being shot, blown up, etc.

In one story called Easy's First Tiger, a wounded GI is run over by a Tiger Tank while the Nazi tank commander smiles evilly. While you don't actually see the graphic details of the tank running over body parts, (ever see a war movie called Attack?) you do hear the scream. It's one of the most graphic depictions of death in bronze age war comics.