• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Hiya Folks,

I'm running a sale thread of a buncha war books in the GA/SA/BA sales area. Just a heads-up.

Mick

Is this a thinly-veiled attempt to raise money for the lunch you promised me at SDCC?

SLR

Yes, and if somebody doesn't buy something, it's gonna be 3 rolled taquitos and a glass of water from the local taco stand. . . .for us to share. We get one whole taquito each. Then you split the third one in half and I choose which half I want. :(

Just curious if you guys can help me out, I am looking for a copy of

All American Men of War #89, I have to see any on feebay or at conventions. Is this a super rare book?

Was doing my semi-regular ebay sift and it appears like there's a VGish copy on ebay right now. Not my copy. . .don't know the seller. Don't know how nice you want it to be.

Edited by Comick1

We're holding the war comics summit again this year on Thursday, July 18 (first full day of Comic-Con) at Filippi's Pizza Grotto from 7:45-9:45 as usual.

Special guest is Russ Heath. Get ready for the one-liners!

$20.00 gets you all you can eat from the normal menu. Alcoholic bevs are cash-bar (your own tab).

We're doing stuff just like we always do.

We're holding an auction as usual this year, but because one of the donations we got is NOT war comics themed, I've decided to upload it to Ebay. It's a Joker pencil/ink sketch from Neal Adams. If you want to see the sketch and bid on it, all of the proceeds go toward the banquet and help to underwrite guests this year and in the future. Click on my handle: comick1 and click "View posts." You'll see a post I've made in the "Comics Market--Advertising" section. That'll give more details. This is definitely going to a good cause.

We do have some other artwork lined up from Sam Glanzman and Russ Heath. I'll keep you guys posted as we get others. I often spend part of Thursday scrounging up other items at the show.

Gimme a shout to lemme know whether you can make it so that I know how many to plan for.

Man, I wish I could go! I hope someone takes pictures and shares them here.

In the meantime, in honor of Russ!

<a  href=011-1.jpg' alt='011-1.jpg'>

I know we all love Kubert round these parts. I've picked up some of his Tales of the Green Berets newspaper strips - as always, great artwork from the master.

Tales of the Green Berets 1966:

T2eC16N8E9s4l6cIBRq6Qo4rrQ60_57.jpg

T2eC16VEE9s2ugjY5BRq6pesne60_57.jpg

Those are very cool, Ark - were the strips ever collected in reprint format?

Read the Sgt. Rock trilogy from OAAW (81-83) tonight for the first time, and thought the Bob Kanigher/Mort Drucker story from #82 ("Hold up Easy") was easily the best.

The Jerry Grandenetti cover to #81 was by far my favorite.

Interesting that #81 and #83 are 3x and 4x times the #82 in the Guide - do those value ratios generally hold up in the marketplace?

Kubert was an acknowledged master, and I have no idea how many stories MAD Mort Drucker illustrated, but I thought he favorably compares - great stuff.

Kubert was an acknowledged master, and I have no idea how many stories MAD Mort Drucker illustrated, but I thought he favorably compares - great stuff.
Grandenetti is the undiscovered great cover artist of DC War and Drucker gets my vote for undiscovered story artist. Not a large output but all of very high quality -- imho, the best work he ever did.

Drucker gets my vote for undiscovered story artist. Not a large output but all of very high quality -- imho, the best work he ever did.

Thanks adam - I'd be interested in a Drucker checklist, if available.

Mick, looking forward to seeing you at SDCC in two weeks - I remember the old days when you and Chris P. had such a passion for the DC war books; it seems that passion continues unabated today!

STEVE

Steve, there were some reprints from Blackthorne, in black and white.

Here's a couple more outstanding examples of Kubert's artwork on the strip - in glorious color.

3d3d8979-8459-43ae-9170-08cd184a1893.jpg

f7901462-3520-4d85-b47d-aece35b4c2f5.jpg

Hey Steve,

Yep, still working hard on the DC war. . .pushing 25 years now. I did an inventory on the 10¢ers recently and found out that I had about 65% of the ranges that I collect. It's been pretty slow-going in the last 10 years--an issue here, an issue there.

Great to see that you're discovering WHY they're such a cool genre. Drucker is among my top 4 reasons for collecting DC war. . .the others are Grandenetti, Kubert, and Heath. Drucker employed a beautiful interplay between light and shadow--a chiaroscuro effect. It was very cinematic which makes me think that Gaines realized this at some point in Drucker's early tenure with MAD and put him to work on the MAD TV and movie parodies.

That Drucker story in OAAW 82 is great, but the one in 81 is even better IMO. There are other incredible Drucker stories peppered throughout the Big-5--give or take about 70 stories as I recall. Finding a high grade war book with Drucker is akin to the satisfaction of dropping 25¢ into the oversized jawbreaker machine and scoring a capsule with a woopie cushion.

Steve, there were some reprints from Blackthorne, in black and white.

Here's a couple more outstanding examples of Kubert's artwork on the strip - in glorious color.

3d3d8979-8459-43ae-9170-08cd184a1893.jpg

f7901462-3520-4d85-b47d-aece35b4c2f5.jpg

Nice to see Kubert's TGB work in full-sized color. Man, Kubert was so awesome.

Grandenetti is the undiscovered great cover artist of DC War and Drucker gets my vote for undiscovered story artist. Not a large output but all of very high quality -- imho, the best work he ever did.

Grandenetti is lauded amongst collectors for his cover work which is a monumental contribution to the trademark "look" of the genre [for so many years] before Kubert became the artist for 90% of the covers. Fewer collectors acknowledge his interior work, but I really like it. . .especially the stuff between 1958-1963 or so. It's beautiful for different reasons than Heath, Kubert, Drucker, and Severin.

And I WISH there was such a thing as a Drucker cover, but no dice. For the 10¢ DC covers, Heath was not nearly as prolific as Kubert or Grandenetti, so those have always been coveted. I think we saw a higher ratio of Heath covers for Atlas, but that doesn't make them any less coveted. Here's a group of some of my favorite 10¢ covers from Heath and Grandenetti. OV just recently posted that Heath SSWS with the frogman attacking the nazi raft. Adam Strange, Jeffro, Richard and some of the other war wackos have some killer ones, too. (Hint hint).

aamow62-1.jpg

ssws88.jpg

ssws29.jpg

off13.jpg

gic83140.jpg

gic54.jpg

gic80-1.jpg

off51.jpg

ssws67.jpg

There are MANY more, but I'm gonna kick back while some've the other guys do some posting. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Couldn't agree more. Grandenetti's cover are just awsome. Most show a composition that other war artists were not doing at that time. Just great stuff.

It's a shame Drucker didn't do more stories.