• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Not to change the subject, but to change the subject...I just looked at ebay listings for that book, and like most listings they vary in grade and the seller's ability to grade. Some seller's don't seem to know a VF from a VG on ebay. Now, I have graded mine a VF. Does anyone disagree with that? Because if I ever become a seller, I don't want to be in the class that can't tell a VF from a VG...

Not to change the subject, but to change the subject...I just looked at ebay listings for that book, and like most listings they vary in grade and the seller's ability to grade. Some seller's don't seem to know a VF from a VG on ebay. Now, I have graded mine a VF. Does anyone disagree with that? Because if I ever become a seller, I don't want to be in the class that can't tell a VF from a VG...

If you ever become a seller that's a VG ;)

If not, it looks about VF.

:roflmao:

I was really torn between calling it a VF or a VF-. hm

That is what is called a VF/VF- grade, also known as a 7.75.

Unless you thought it might be a bit closer to VF- than to VF, in which case it is a VF-/VF/VF- grade, also known as a 7.67 grade.

Or a bit closer to VF than VF-, which would make it VF-/VF/VF, or 7.83.

There a variety of techniques that are usually grouped under the "greytone" or "washtone" moniker. More than one of these may be used on a cover. Sometimes only part of a cover employs a washtone technique.

1) Tempura painting in various shades of white/grey.

2) Craftint paper where the application of a special solution with a brush reveals an underlying pattern in shades of grey. Sometimes a second solution can be applied to reveal a different effect.

3) Charcoal, sometimes drawing on pebble-board which is textured

4) Color design wash that introduces different intensity or different colors in a blank area

The GI Combat 113 is an example of #2.

Nice! I've always wondered about the techniques, thanks for explaining. (thumbs u

There a variety of techniques that are usually grouped under the "greytone" or "washtone" moniker. More than one of these may be used on a cover. Sometimes only part of a cover employs a washtone technique.

1) Tempura painting in various shades of white/grey.

2) Craftint paper where the application of a special solution with a brush reveals an underlying pattern in shades of grey. Sometimes a second solution can be applied to reveal a different effect.

3) Charcoal, sometimes drawing on pebble-board which is textured

4) Color design wash that introduces different intensity or different colors in a blank area

5) Painting with ink of varying dilution

I updated the list to add one more.

Hi folks,

I have a couple friends working on a scanning project with various war books. They're trying to scan the whole run of GI Combat and are finished with the DCs, but still need a few of the Quality issues including the following:

GIC # 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16.

I was wondering if any of you had these issues. If you do, I'm asking you to scan them for me so that we can help them complete this project. They asked that the scanner resolution would be 300 DPI and the file size would be between 2.5 MB to 3.2 MB.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mick