• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

I don't think anybody did. I was so busy trying to multitask with Heath, the dinner, and a number of other concerns that I don't know if anybody actually took any pictures. It was a good scene. Heath contributed a killer art piece. Maybe Thecollectron will scan it and post it. :baiting:

Psssst. . .Peter!

Sooner or later I'll scan it and post it on CAF but it's NSFW. It has everything you could want by Russ Heath, though.

How the he'll is G.I.Combat not in the top 10. :tonofbricks:

I think you mean GIC 87.

As I recall, it was excluded on purpose for consideration, since one of the prior cover contests (that wasn't exclusive to just Heath covers) had already placed it at (or near) the top. But maybe I am not recalling this correctly ....

Andy?

Actually, because I had run a few war cover contests previously, and GIC 80, 87, and AAMOW 94 had been retired, due to their constant 1-2-3 placements.

However, in this particular contest, we were looking for Russ Heath's best covers. It wouldn't be fair to exclude those, so they were all candidates right from the start.

In the end, GIC didn't make the top 10. Now, I would say that it is probably my personal favorite, followed by AAMOW 94, but this contest doesn't just takes votes on people's favorite choices.

This contest asks for viewers at home to vote for their least favorite, and the books with the most votes against them, get voted off. It's similar to the TV show "Survivor".

This method may not get you the same results as polling everyone for their favorite cover, but I like the process and it is still fun.

Do I feel GIC should be in the top 10? Absolutely! But, by chance, it didn't happen this time.

I think you mean GIC 87.

As I recall, it was excluded on purpose for consideration, since one of the prior cover contests (that wasn't exclusive to just Heath covers) had already placed it at (or near) the top. But maybe I am not recalling this correctly ....

Andy?

Actually, because I had run a few war cover contests previously, and GIC 80, 87, and AAMOW 94 had been retired, due to their constant 1-2-3 placements.

However, in this particular contest, we were looking for Russ Heath's best covers. It wouldn't be fair to exclude those, so they were all candidates right from the start.

In the end, GIC didn't make the top 10. Now, I would say that it is probably my personal favorite, followed by AAMOW 94, but this contest doesn't just takes votes on people's favorite choices.

This contest asks for viewers at home to vote for their least favorite, and the books with the most votes against them, get voted off. It's similar to the TV show "Survivor".

This method may not get you the same results as polling everyone for their favorite cover, but I like the process and it is still fun.

Do I feel GIC should be in the top 10? Absolutely! But, by chance, it didn't happen this time.

...opening the contest to Heath covers from ALL genres made a significant impact on the final results as well. Many of the War enthusiasts see the market through "D.C. colored glasses" and this is understandable, but I was actually surprised at some of the Atlas war efforts that DIDN'T make the top 10. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Is this silver war comics thread only for silver age? and if so is there a golden age war comics thread that I should be looking at also ? -thanks :sorry:

This thread tends to be for both atomic and silver war.

Because so much of it is the Big Five (10 and 12 cent DC War), and some of those titles started in the atomic age.

I think you mean GIC 87.

Andy?

Yeah I made that post from my phone. I think the spellcheck screwed it up.

anyway regarding G.I.Combat 87 not making the list....

I DEMAND A RECOUNT!

I think you mean GIC 87.

Andy?

I DEMAND A RECOUNT!

It's a fine cover but it's not in the top 10 of Russ Heath war covers.

I think you mean GIC 87.

Andy?

I DEMAND A RECOUNT!

I'm pretty biased, but I tend to think it's one of his best. . .ever.

I think you mean GIC 87.

Andy?

I DEMAND A RECOUNT!

I'm pretty biased, but I tend to think it's one of his best. . .ever.

It's an incredible cover.

A NEW CGC 8.0 for OAAW #83 - what a rarity indeed!!!

It deserves mention in this grand thread!

(bronzejonny posted it earlier today in the OAAW 83 thread).

http://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956...humbnail-071515

The OAAW 83 CGC 8.0 went for $16,730

That's odd. According to GPAnalysis, It went for the exact amount that another slabbed 8.0 went for in 2011.

Two slabbed 8.0s selling four years apart going for the same amount of money. Weird

It is a bit weird in the sense that it would hover in the same range as 4 years ago, but assuming it's held its market value at stasis, it's not weird at all that it's the exact same price because that just means that the Heritage proxy bid amount landed there. . . .in other words, it's an automated amount and the next bidders would have to have bid it up exact $1500- or something like that, not just $10-. It doesn't work like it does on eBay. So if the underbidder dropped out around $15,000, the book wouldn't have gone less or more than the $16,700.

2c

DC War were the first comics I read as a kid & read them for years before getting into any other types of comics - WWT, Sgt Rock, GI Combat and Unknown Soldier, loved them all. Also had the odd Blackhawk and Charltons like Fightin Army, Marines etc and Battlefield Action. I'm starting to collect the SA stuff, a full set of the MM appearances is the first goal. Are recent pickups allowed here? A lot of good information, will continue to follow, thanks.

sta042.087-01a_Savannah_zpskealz5yn.jpg

It is a bit weird in the sense that it would hover in the same range as 4 years ago, but assuming it's held its market value at stasis, it's not weird at all that it's the exact same price because that just means that the Heritage proxy bid amount landed there. . . .in other words, it's an automated amount and the next bidders would have to have bid it up exact $1500- or something like that, not just $10-. It doesn't work like it does on eBay. So if the underbidder dropped out around $15,000, the book wouldn't have gone less or more than the $16,700.

2c

+1

Correctly stated.

DC War were the first comics I read as a kid & read them for years before getting into any other types of comics - WWT, Sgt Rock, GI Combat and Unknown Soldier, loved them all. Also had the odd Blackhawk and Charltons like Fightin Army, Marines etc and Battlefield Action. I'm starting to collect the SA stuff, a full set of the MM appearances is the first goal. Are recent pickups allowed here? A lot of good information, will continue to follow, thanks.

Yes, of course new pickups are allowed. All War Comics are! And, in any case, who doesn't like Marie? :)

Great pick up! :applause:

Yes, of course new pickups are allowed. All War Comics are! And, in any case, who doesn't like Marie? :)

Great pick up! :applause:

The Drucker story in there is :cloud9: