• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

Not quite SA, but should be appreciated here. I've wanted a HG copy of this book since I first saw it in 1996 (Mick, I think it was at your house!). I've had a beater and it just didn't cut the mustard, so it took about 0.5 seconds to pull the trigger when this was posted on Clink. As far as commie covers go, it doesn't get more blatant than this.

bill%20battle%203%20full%20fc%2094_zpsxg6wlojj.jpg

Not quite SA, but should be appreciated here. I've wanted a HG copy of this book since I first saw it in 1996 (Mick, I think it was at your house!). I've had a beater and it just didn't cut the mustard, so it took about 0.5 seconds to pull the trigger when this was posted on Clink. As far as commie covers go, it doesn't get more blatant than this.

Beautiful copy of that, Dan! Yeah, that book is the bomb every step of the way! I'm not usually into photo covers, but a photo cover with a word balloon like that and sound effects? Just too good to resist.

Mick

Beautiful copy of that, Dan! Yeah, that book is the bomb every step of the way! I'm not usually into photo covers, but a photo cover with a word balloon like that and sound effects? Just too good to resist.

Mick

+1

I don't think anybody did. I was so busy trying to multitask with Heath, the dinner, and a number of other concerns that I don't know if anybody actually took any pictures. It was a good scene. Heath contributed a killer art piece. Maybe Thecollectron will scan it and post it. :baiting:

Psssst. . .Peter!

We were speaking about Scuba covers a while back and I'm not sure if anyone mentioned AAMOW 63. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That's a great cover, jimbo!

I have it in about 8.0. I'm out of town, otherwise I'd scan it.

For DC Heath covers, I'd start with these (in no particular order):

GIC 80

AAMOW 94

GIC 87

GIC 104

SSWS 81

OFF 51

GIC 99

I had scans of these lying around:

gic80-1.jpg

aamow94.jpg

ssws81_zpse5a8d58e.jpg

off51.jpg

gic99.jpg

For Atlas, there are too many to list that I don't have, but one of the ones I DO have is this one:

mia9.jpg

There are definitely some boardees who have some killer examples. Calling Buttock, October, and AdamStrange!!

Here's the top 10 Russ Heath covers, from my Survivor Series contest, in order of very best to 10th best. (as voted by our forum members)

1. GIC 80

gicombat80_zpsc2599da7.jpg

2. AAMOW 94

AAMOW94_zps0dfcc053.jpg

3. Marvel Tales 130

marveltales130cropped_zpseb9cd928.jpg

4. Journey Into Unknown Worlds 49

journeyintounknownworlds49_zpsf81079ba.jpg

5. Star Spangled War Stories 81

starspangledwarstories81_zps843f2f2b.jpg

6. Showcase 29

Showcase29_zps023002c3.jpg

7. War Comics 23

War23_zps833faa0d.jpg

8. Uncanny Tales 23

uncannytales23_zps32cd0690.jpg

9. Battle Action 15

battleaction15_zps7e5079d9.jpg

10. Showcase 45

showcase45_zpsd55a1b9a.jpg

Here's the top 10 Russ Heath covers, from my Survivor Series contest, in order of very best to 10th best. (as voted by our forum members)

1. GIC 80

gicombat80_zpsc2599da7.jpg

2. AAMOW 94

AAMOW94_zps0dfcc053.jpg

3. Marvel Tales 130

marveltales130cropped_zpseb9cd928.jpg

4. Journey Into Unknown Worlds 49

journeyintounknownworlds49_zpsf81079ba.jpg

5. Star Spangled War Stories 81

starspangledwarstories81_zps843f2f2b.jpg

6. Showcase 29

Showcase29_zps023002c3.jpg

7. War Comics 23

War23_zps833faa0d.jpg

8. Uncanny Tales 23

uncannytales23_zps32cd0690.jpg

9. Battle Action 15

battleaction15_zps7e5079d9.jpg

10. Showcase 45

showcase45_zpsd55a1b9a.jpg

How the he'll is G.I.Combat not in the top 10. :tonofbricks:

How the he'll is G.I.Combat not in the top 10. :tonofbricks:

I think you mean GIC 87.

As I recall, it was excluded on purpose for consideration, since one of the prior cover contests (that wasn't exclusive to just Heath covers) had already placed it at (or near) the top. But maybe I am not recalling this correctly ....

Andy?

Both GIC 80 and 99 are very striking! No Sea Devils or is that not really a war comic? If so I would go with the first Showcase issue.

01_showcase_27_1960aug_heathcv.jpg

Not really war, but you as far as I'm concerned, you can post that ANY time in the war forum. That is a spectacularly fresh looking copy! :headbang: