• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

On 9/6/2021 at 5:00 PM, bronze johnny said:

Finally got around to reading this year’s War Report in the 51st Edition of the Overstreet Price Guide. An excellent feature that I hope remains a permanent part of the Guide. As I expected, SSWS 84 and 90 continue to move up in the rankings. I anticipate both books surpassing the Rock’s prototype issues and landing in the top 5 right behind the G.I. Combat 87. I wouldn’t be surprised if Marie’s first appearance replaces the Haunted Tank’s several years from now given how the newer generation of comic book collectors includes more women and we may see them venture into the war genre in search of the Big 5’s ultimate female character. 

My other observations include the need for AAMW 67 to be ahead of OFF 45. 67 is Gunner and Sarge’s first appearance and I prefer Grandenetti’s cover. 

I was surprised not to see G.I. Combat 83 place higher since it has a classic Grandenetti washtone cover along with the first appearance of Big Al, Little Al, and Charlie Cigar. This book belongs in a higher spot in the top 50. 

I’d also like to mention the significance of war books that are mentioned in SOTI and POP. Books like Farrell’s War Report 4 are historically significant and deserve greater recognition for their status. Let me recommend for next year’s War Report that special reference be given to these classic Atomic Age-Korean War era books. Their time has come.

Finally, I want to give a shout out for this year’s War Report’s emphasis on the relative scarcity of war keys like OAAW 83 and SSWS 84 & 90. Collecting war comics is an incredible challenge that separates the proverbial “men from the boys.” It’s very easy to buy just about any superhero key in almost any grade if you have the money - that’s the easiest kind of collecting (see Marvel SA and BA keys). The challenge for me and some friends I know in the hobby, has been to obtain the keys from the more difficult genres in grade (the meaning of which is entirely different when collecting war, romance, or westerns). I write from my own personal experience collecting comics since starting out as a kid in the late Bronze Age. The experience of collecting involves so many nuances and over time, a valued education on the best aspects this hobby has to offer- something the “fly by nighters” and “investors” will never get. Looking at the one-dimensional aspect of “keys=profits” leads to a superficial end and in one sense a loss of valuable time. Collecting the war comics requires time and a greater degree of patience. Things move at a slower pace for war book collectors. One of the beauties of this hobby is that the greatest achievements require time and effort. Just ask the “run completionists.” I asked a friend of mine what they got out of spending 6 figures on a key and the answer was that “it’s a great investment and it’s the first appearance of...” They couldn’t tell me more. It wasn’t a war key because they aren’t available and thus not on everyone’s radar. Still, I couldn’t help but think that things that may come easy to some, can deprive them of the true value of the thing obtained. A value that is multifaceted and goes beyond pecuniary gain (and I’m not speaking of those who are just into this for the money- there’s no hope for them in connecting with the beauty of this hobby as a collector). Obtaining a war key is a challenge that will generally end with a “true valued end,” which is an end that satisfies most if not all of the collecting benefit.

Kudos for a great job on this year’s War Report!

john

Well said, John! 

On 2/8/2022 at 3:56 PM, kagemusha7s said:
On 2/8/2022 at 2:40 PM, jayhawker said:

Not everybody’s cup of tea but these are my favorites, dinosaurs and war. I only need a few more and I’ll have a complete run of them.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Expand  

I'll take a cup of that 

Yes, more tea, please.  :applause:

And that 9.2 in particular is a stunning grade!

Edited by MusterMark

On 1/30/2022 at 6:28 AM, 1950's war comics said:

it's tough especially these days ... and it is a key cover due to probably the best portrayal ever of the 1000 yard stare 

That SHOULD be a key. NO disagreement there. But "best portrayal" of a the 1000 yard stare? 
I've always felt that that honor belongs to OAAW #100. Kubert Rock at its most evocative. Don't get me wrong, that Heath sure is an incredible cover and no I don't own one yet.  . .

But yeah, Kubert 1000 yard stare (sorry for cråppy pic):

oaaw100.jpg