• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

On 7/23/2023 at 9:59 AM, DanCooper said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned somewhere prior, but it looks like Overstreet is going to put out a guide next year (Fall 2024) devoted solely to war comics.

Ad running in current Overstreet #53:

war.jpg

Early prediction, it's going to be DC centric.  The War Report has been overtly focused on DC at the cost of addressing anything else with any relevance.  

On 8/11/2023 at 4:59 PM, kagemusha7s said:

20210617_145621 (1) (1).jpg

War Genre meets Lost World Genre!

Doesn’t get any better. This one really hits home for me because I remember playing with my plastic army soldiers and dinosaurs for hours. We had our imaginations and there was no limit to what we could do. 

I see that Overstreet is putting out a guide on war books and very happy about it with one exception.

Joe Kubert’s Sgt. Rock should be on the cover of the new guide not Russ Heath if the advertisement in this year’s Guide has the final version of the cover in it. I love Heath’s work but Kubert and Kanigher created Sgt. Rock not Heath. The artist who created Sgt. Rock should get their art of their creation placed on the first Overstreet Price Guide for War Books. Kubert’s Sgt. Rock is the definitive Rock. Period.

Also, let me suggest that while I’m a DC War guy, attention should be paid to the Parade of Pleasure war books given there was one SOTI war book (thanks to Ingelsfan for pointing this out). It’s time to place a focus on these classics. There’s so much more to war books that requires attention. We also need to distinguish the Korean War era books from those published during World War 2 and prior to 1950. It’s not enough to place focus only on Atlas titles. Yes, they have their place but must be placed under the Atomic Age “Korean War” era, especially when there was debate between Truman and MacCarthur over using atomic weapons that led to the the General’s dismissal. 

This all being said, I always commend the guys for the work they do on the War Report each year!

Edited by bronze johnny

On 7/23/2023 at 3:42 PM, buttock said:
On 7/23/2023 at 10:59 AM, DanCooper said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned somewhere prior, but it looks like Overstreet is going to put out a guide next year (Fall 2024) devoted solely to war comics.

Ad running in current Overstreet #53:

war.jpg

Expand  

Early prediction, it's going to be DC centric.  The War Report has been overtly focused on DC at the cost of addressing anything else with any relevance.  

How many of the folks that contributed to the original War Reports are still actively collecting?

i read an interesting article about this "Tank Ace" and he credited everything to his crew whom stayed together for a long time , the crew had nicknames just like the guys with Sgt Rock and Sgt Fury did

Lafayette G. Pool

Lafayette Green Pool (July 23, 1919 – May 30, 1991) was an American tank-crew and tank-platoon commander in World War II and is widely recognized as the US tank ace of aces

his crew had cool nicknames.......

He kept the same crew throughout the majority of the war. Corporal Wilbert "Red" Richards was the driver, Private First Class Bertrand "School Boy" Close the assistant driver and bow gunner, Corporal Willis "Ground Hog" Oller the gunner, and Technician Fifth Grade Delbert "Jailbird" Boggs the loader.[10]

On 8/17/2023 at 3:42 PM, MrBedrock said:

How many of the folks that contributed to the original War Reports are still actively collecting?

Speaking for me, myself, and I.
I'm still collecting war. I still need tons of great issues. Got a lot of kewl ideas extending beyond my core collection from the folks in this thread.

On 8/21/2023 at 10:14 AM, comick1 said:
On 8/17/2023 at 5:42 PM, MrBedrock said:

Speaking for me, myself, and I.
I'm still collecting war. I still need tons of great issues. Got a lot of kewl ideas extending beyond my core collection from the folks in this thread.

From that original group I think only you and I are still actively collecting, and I haven't participated in the War Report for a while now.

Edited by MrBedrock

On 8/21/2023 at 12:21 PM, MrBedrock said:

From that original group I think only you and I are still actively collecting, and I haven't participated in the War Report for a while now.

For sure, I know that Matt is still actively collecting. 2c

Myself, I still drool over the ole 10 centers, and would probably buy some again if the timing and the book was right.  But, "actively collecting?"  Maybe not so much anymore.... I don't search daily as I used to. lol

Good to "see" you, Richard.  Looking forward to the next time we meet again, though. :grin:

-Andy

On 9/1/2023 at 2:05 PM, thirdgreenham said:

For sure, I know that Matt is still actively collecting. 2c

Myself, I still drool over the ole 10 centers, and would probably buy some again if the timing and the book was right.  But, "actively collecting?"  Maybe not so much anymore.... I don't search daily as I used to. lol

Good to "see" you, Richard.  Looking forward to the next time we meet again, though. :grin:

-Andy

Andy, is he collecting war comics or DC war comics?