• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

Well, I really hate to post following a bunch of Church books, ouch! Nevertheless, here's a neat pickup I just made. I've been jonesing for another Fox book for many months now, and this cheap ebay win fit the bill nicely. Another fun Lou Fine cover...

1628262-mm4small.jpg

Looking forward to cracking open a tall frosty bottle of Kooba Cola and reading this one. cloud9.gif

1628262-mm4small.jpg.9d721efc096c92de30371b3a4c3b2ff1.jpg

The Kooba Cola, however, is a rock-solid 30. Let me know if you find one.

Darn, wish I'd seen your post earlier! I just finished the sixpack and took the bottles out for recycling. confused-smiley-013.gif

Win, if you have scarcity figures for the early Fox titles, I'd love to see them! Particularly interested in Fantastic, Weird & Science, but I'd enjoy seeing any you have.

Well done, P5 - Mystery Men 4 is one of my favorite Foxes, though understandably it often gets overshadowed by issue 3 and 8 (and I like Mystery Men 2 and 10 a lot, also).

I used to have both the Allentown and Larson copies of Mystery Men 4, and was tempted to keep doubles, but sold the Allentown to a buddy. That book started him on an Allentown/GA kick that continues to this day.

STEVE

Win, if you have scarcity figures for the early Fox titles, I'd love to see them! Particularly interested in Fantastic, Weird & Science, but I'd enjoy seeing any you have.

Sure! I haven't done Weird yet, but the other two are completed:

Fantastic Comics

1.... 16

2.... 16

3.... 24

4.... 21

5.... 19

6.... 19

7.... 21

8.... 15

9.... 10

10.. 17

11.. 15

12.. 20

13.. 21

14.. 18

15.. 21

16.. 22

17.. 22

18.. 24

19.. 28

20.. 23

21.. 20

22.. 21

23.. 22

Science Comics

1.... 17

2.... 20

3.... 14

4.... 17

5.... 13

6.... 16

7.... 18

8.... 13

Generally speaking Science is noticeably easier to find than Fantastic.

Excellent, thank you Win. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Looks like the earlier Fantastics are generally easier than the later (works for me, as I prefer the early ones anyway).

On your list, Fantastic #9 is the most common by far. I'm guessing that's because the cover is pretty awful, and collectors are more likely to offer it up for sale compared to the better covers in the #1-#8 run? (#9 is actually a book I'd like to pick up, but for whatever reason haven't seen one in quite a long time.)

Now I wish I'd bid higher on the Fantastic #15 that finished last night. (I saw that our own showcase-4 had a bid in as well...Steve, you dipping a toe into the Fox pool?) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The later Fantastics (like all 1941 Fox books) are clearly tougher, but generally speaking the covers are weaker and the values are lower, so it's tough to tell how much of the scarcity is for real vs. people just not bothering to submit/consign the books. I've tried to adjust for that in my sheet and I think my rankings are accurate. Those later books are truly tricky.

Science Comics ended its run in 1940, before Fox availability dropped off, which is the main reason the run as a whole is easier to find.

The later Fantastics (like all 1941 Fox books) are clearly tougher, but generally speaking the covers are weaker and the values are lower, so it's tough to tell how much of the scarcity is for real vs. people just not bothering to submit/consign the books. I've tried to adjust for that in my sheet and I think my rankings are accurate. Those later books are truly tricky.

Science Comics ended its run in 1940, before Fox availability dropped off, which is the main reason the run as a whole is easier to find.

they seem scarce to me, but I'm a novice - been looking for only 3 years. confused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks , Jon B, for clarifying the size issue on the MYSTERY MEN #1 and #2 ... and for sharing those unreal scans of your copies. WOW.

And congrats to P5 on your new acquisition!! NEVER apologize for ANY MysteryMen Comic!! Its a great looking book.

they seem scarce to me, but I'm a novice - been looking for only 3 years. confused-smiley-013.gif

The "low" numbers on my scarcity ratings for these books are in the mid-teens, which is itself a representation of being tough to find. Compare the Science numbers to, say, the scarcity numbers for All Star Comics #1-#8:

Science Comics

1.... 17

2.... 20

3.... 14

4.... 17

5.... 13

6.... 16

7.... 18

8.... 13

All Star Comics

1.... 11

2.... 13

3.... 13

4.... 8

5.... 7

6.... 6

7.... 6

8.... 10

Science is a tough title. Fantastic's a bit tougher, that's all.

The "low" numbers on my scarcity ratings for these books are in the mid-teens, which is itself a representation of being tough to find. Compare the Science numbers to, say, the scarcity numbers for All Star Comics #1-#8:

Science Comics

1.... 17

2.... 20

3.... 14

4.... 17

5.... 13

6.... 16

7.... 18

8.... 13

All Star Comics

1.... 11

2.... 13

3.... 13

4.... 8

5.... 7

6.... 6

7.... 6

8.... 10

Science is a tough title. Fantastic's a bit tougher, that's all.

Which probably accounts for the fact I have ZERO copies of either title. I was out of town when the Science 3 was on ebay a few months ago and would have bid more than the winning bid. tongue.gif

Sure! I haven't done Weird yet, but the other two are completed:

Fantastic Comics

1.... 16

2.... 16

3.... 24

4.... 21

5.... 19

6.... 19

7.... 21

8.... 15

9.... 10

10.. 17

11.. 15

12.. 20

13.. 21

14.. 18

15.. 21

16.. 22

17.. 22

18.. 24

19.. 28

20.. 23

21.. 20

22.. 21

23.. 22

Science Comics

1.... 17

2.... 20

3.... 14

4.... 17

5.... 13

6.... 16

7.... 18

8.... 13

Generally speaking Science is noticeably easier to find than Fantastic.

Contributions like this make you my favorite poster!!!

Do you have the Windex scarcity ratings for the Fox Mystery Men and Wonderworld runs? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I imagine that these two runs should be a lot more common since they would appear to be the most popular books in the Fox stable. Probably not as common as the DC's or Timely's, but I imagine they should still be easier than some of the shorter runs from Fox.

Well, I really hate to post following a bunch of Church books, ouch! Nevertheless, here's a neat pickup I just made. I've been jonesing for another Fox book for many months now, and this cheap ebay win fit the bill nicely. Another fun Lou Fine cover...

1628262-mm4small.jpg

Looking forward to cracking open a tall frosty bottle of Kooba Cola and reading this one. cloud9.gif

Definitely a neat pickup! thumbsup2.gif

Well done, P5 - Mystery Men 4 is one of my favorite Foxes, though understandably it often gets overshadowed by issue 3 and 8 (and I like Mystery Men 2 and 10 a lot, also).

I used to have both the Allentown and Larson copies of Mystery Men 4, and was tempted to keep doubles, but sold the Allentown to a buddy.

STEVE

That, due to my own stupidity, was NOT me! foreheadslap.gif

That book is hail.gif -- but it did go to a very good home.

I know it is reprinted material, but i have always liked the cover, you cant go wrong with Lou Fine! and thanks to CL this was secured (if grade is accurate 893crossfingers-thumb.gif) at 40% guide, which to my knowledge is not the norm on this book

Flame1.jpg

I know it is reprinted material, but i have always liked the cover, you cant go wrong with Lou Fine! and thanks to CL this was secured (if grade is accurate 893crossfingers-thumb.gif) at 40% guide, which to my knowledge is not the norm on this book

Flame1.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifcloud9.gif