• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

wonderworld13.jpg

It's a shame the guy who amassed the Allentown Collection didn't take better care of them!

I almost bought this book when Harley had it a decade ago. This book is KILLER and the scan does it no justice. NICE! 893applaud-thumb.gif

West

West;

Personally, I am glad you didn't pick this book up! thumbsup2.gif

I ended up getting this book from Harley for a little less than 2X guide at a convention. Sold it a few years later in the big Manning auction and they was able to realize almost 7X for this book. 893whatthe.gif Strongly doubt that Richard had to pay this kind of money for the book as I believe he picked it up subsequent to the auction.

Certainly can't complain about the money although I do believe it is the still the highest graded Fox book along with Mystery Men #13 which is also a NM+ 9.6 grade. I believe all other Fox books have graded out lower than this up to this point in time.

The funny thing is that Harley also had the Allentown WW #14 at the same time. I almost took the 14 over the 13 since I thought the pages were a bit stronger. Probably should have picked up both books since Harley told me just to take the books and pay him later when I got back home. Turns out the WW #14 only graded out as a VF 8.0. Shows you what I know about grading, unless there was some damage done to the book in the interim. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

mysterymen6.jpg

Picked this up in LA last weekend. Thanks, Ken.

I'm glad you like it so much. Seeing scans of the Wonderworld 13 is giving me intense feelings of sellers remorse. No more scans from you!

Ken

wonderworld13.jpg

It's a shame the guy who amassed the Allentown Collection didn't take better care of them!

I almost bought this book when Harley had it a decade ago. This book is KILLER and the scan does it no justice. NICE! 893applaud-thumb.gif

West

West;

Personally, I am glad you didn't pick this book up! thumbsup2.gif

I ended up getting this book from Harley for a little less than 2X guide at a convention. Sold it a few years later in the big Manning auction and they was able to realize almost 7X for this book. 893whatthe.gif Strongly doubt that Richard had to pay this kind of money for the book as I believe he picked it up subsequent to the auction.

Certainly can't complain about the money although I do believe it is the still the highest graded Fox book along with Mystery Men #13 which is also a NM+ 9.6 grade. I believe all other Fox books have graded out lower than this up to this point in time.

The funny thing is that Harley also had the Allentown WW #14 at the same time. I almost took the 14 over the 13 since I thought the pages were a bit stronger. Probably should have picked up both books since Harley told me just to take the books and pay him later when I got back home. Turns out the WW #14 only graded out as a VF 8.0. Shows you what I know about grading, unless there was some damage done to the book in the interim. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I actually got it in a part cash/mostly trade deal at San Diego last year for about 4X.

science3.jpg

This is still one of my favorite Fox covers.

Hey! I recognize that book. Did you slab the Fantastic 5? I still have the Science 2 from that collection. thumbsup2.gif

Yes, 6.0! Thanks! All of those books have such great color and paper. Quite the find on your part. Thanks again.

Great books everybody. headbang.gif I know I'm going to catch hell maybe from you guys , but as a fan also of Lou Fine ,I just don't see his art on the cover of Science # 3. Great cover none the less. I also am not sure that his art graced the cover of Fantastic Comics # 5,? maybe the inks??. Science # 1 & maybe # 2 is Lou Fine , but IMO not # 3. Remember for years people thought Weird #1 was Lou , turned out to be George Tuska . Awesome cover also. What do you guys think?? BTW Jon, Science # 4, Joe Simon & what a killer Sci - Fi cover & your copy cloud9.gifhail.gif

Great books everybody. headbang.gif I know I'm going to catch hell maybe from you guys , but as a fan also of Lou Fine ,I just don't see his art on the cover of Science # 3. Great cover none the less. I also am not sure that his art graced the cover of Fantastic Comics # 5,? maybe the inks??. Science # 1 & maybe # 2 is Lou Fine , but IMO not # 3. Remember for years people thought Weird #1 was Lou , turned out to be George Tuska . Awesome cover also. What do you guys think?? BTW Jon, Science # 4, Joe Simon & what a killer Sci - Fi cover & your copy cloud9.gifhail.gif

I reported that to Overstreet about the Weird Comixs (and Mystery Men 6). Short story. Murphy Anderson had done a number of Lou Fine recreations for Diamond and were discussing the covers and he said "Oh, no Lou did not do that one, Tuska did" I contacted George and he agreed. Also how I found out the info on Mystery Men 6. If you go to comicartfans...you will see both these covers done as recreations for me by George. Also Murphy's recreations incorporated every nuance of Fine's work....A labor of love for Murphy.

jon

bumpit.gif

Well, it seems like a good time to post books, now that BangZoom is taking some time off... is there really any point posting books at the same time he is?

Thanks to CentaurMan for this WONDERful book ... a really nice low grade copy of a rare book. (i'm using his scan, as its way nicer than the results i'd get). The interior art is really nice, and the Wonderman story just cracks me up... its classic golden age. The Bob Kane story is a beaut.

A great cornerstone in my small collection!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

WONDER COMICS #1, May 1939

1727808-wondercomics1copy3.jpg

1727808-wondercomics1copy3.jpg.46caeffbc47ee0d00e5d1b8e55650d83.jpg

Edited by RyanH

bumpit.gif

Well, it seems like a good time to post books, now that BangZoom is taking some time off... is there really any point posting books at the same time he is?

Thanks to CentaurMan for this WONDERful book ... a really nice low grade copy of a rare book. (i'm using his scan, as its way nicer than the results i'd get). The interior art is really nice, and the Wonderman story just cracks me up... its classic golden age. The Bob Kane story is a beaut.

just too cool ryan.

bumpit.gif

and ryan, put this bad boy over on the new gerber 7 or rarer thread while you're at it.

bumpit.gif

hello all...

Wow, Ryan, I am SOOOOO Jealous...a GREAT pick up!

rick