• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

Thanks dude! Not a common issue, funny how some of these books can take years to track down. But all in the thrill of the chase!

Very nice #4. One of the three issues along with #6 and #7 that I lack. Very pretty reds on that one.

Thank you. The one's you mentioned are nice too. I like the no.2(black cover)also. CC has one ending in their auction this week...so i'll see hm . Did you change your avatar? New one's cool too.

Thank you. The one's you mentioned are nice too. I like the no.2(black cover)also. CC has one ending in their auction this week...so i'll see hm . Did you change your avatar? New one's cool too.

Thanks - yes, I changed it not too long ago. I am amazed at how many Big 3 #1s I see. Has to be one of the most abundant GA books around.

Was there something special about #5. My copy is stamped FREE COPY and I really didn't think too much about it but I noticed Metro has a copy with the same stamp. Just thought it was interesting.

My Copy -

0301130803051.jpg

Metro's Copy

big6.4a.jpg

Thanks dude! Not a common issue, funny how some of these books can take years to track down. But all in the thrill of the chase!

Very nice #4. One of the three issues along with #6 and #7 that I lack. Very pretty reds on that one.

......neat little Fox title...jb

147722.jpg.33d6bb1db3ce0cfd4e7a5c063acf5a9c.jpg

147723.jpg.408b0a8d669793b23522b7c31eb2ae5e.jpg

147724.jpg.aa996931e588713522181e600e6f4e30.jpg

147725.jpg.2c4715146349ecf998da618ab1279dd5.jpg

147726.jpg.2510f98bb50249ab0dd31dbe3de4cef8.jpg

I'm looking for a little guidance with some Phantom Lady 13, 14, 16 and 18 and Blue Beetle 50. I received some raw copies today and am concerned about the covers being cleaned. I know Fox didn't use the best paper stock so I don't know if what I am seeing is just the paper that was used or if the covers really were cleaned. Anyone have any raw copies of these that are handy and can tell me what the texture and gloss on the covers are like? I've got a raw 15 that has what I would consider to be 'normal' glossing and smoother cover texture. The others are rough with almost no gloss, but very clean looking.

I don't have those books but I have several contemporaries. It was one of the unexpected joys of my collecting career to find that the covers were just like the paper, not glossy, etc. The more "normal" glossy covers can be found interspersed between the other non-glossed books in the same era from this publisher. I believe I've even read somewhere that even the same issue could have the two different type of cover stock on two different copies. My 2c

I don't have those books but I have several contemporaries. It was one of the unexpected joys of my collecting career to find that the covers were just like the paper, not glossy, etc. The more "normal" glossy covers can be found interspersed between the other non-glossed books in the same era from this publisher. I believe I've even read somewhere that even the same issue could have the two different type of cover stock on two different copies. My 2c

That's similar to what I have heard. I've only handled a couple of books with cleaned covers and only a handful of raw Fox books from this period.

I'm looking for a little guidance with some Phantom Lady 13, 14, 16 and 18 and Blue Beetle 50. I received some raw copies today and am concerned about the covers being cleaned. I know Fox didn't use the best paper stock so I don't know if what I am seeing is just the paper that was used or if the covers really were cleaned. Anyone have any raw copies of these that are handy and can tell me what the texture and gloss on the covers are like? I've got a raw 15 that has what I would consider to be 'normal' glossing and smoother cover texture. The others are rough with almost no gloss, but very clean looking.

There are both glossy & flat Fox covers. I had a really high grade run of Phantom Lady's. #13 was glossy, #14 was flat, #15 was glossy, #16 was flat, #17 was glossy. I'm not sure if all the Fox titles alternate between glossy & flat.

There are both glossy & flat Fox covers. I had a really high grade run of Phantom Lady's. #13 was glossy, #14 was flat, #15 was glossy, #16 was flat, #17 was glossy. I'm not sure if all the Fox titles alternate between glossy & flat.

Phantom Lady 18 and Blue Beeltle 50 have a paper cover similar to 16 (there is practically no gloss).

The other Fox books that Timely lists as glossy are more of a matte-finish or semi-gloss.

The color of the interior paper varied such that a single issue can be printed on one or more of the following: white, pink or blue paper. I believe I have also seen variations in cover stock on the same issue.

Is there a chemical residue smell to them?

No chemical smell, just very musty. A couple have rust on the staples.

I'm betting the colors and pages are very bright on the musty copies?

I'm going to say they aren't cleaned then. In general they all had good colors throughout. The grading was a bit off, though, on all of them so back they go.

Thanks for the help guys!

I'm going to say they aren't cleaned then. In general they all had good colors throughout. The grading was a bit off, though, on all of them so back they go.

Thanks for the help guys!

That's probably a safe assumption.

It's much less common to "water" clean GA books of this time period as the cover stock isn't really up to handling it. This is especially true for the Fox paper stock covers.