• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

I love looking at all of these wonderful covers. Congratulations everyone:)

I disagree a little with Walter, though. I think this is Hitler, that stuff under his nose qualifies as part of the painted moustache;) and I'm trying to figure out what is in his mouth?

national%2012.jpg

Edited by skypinkblu

I love looking at all of these wonderful covers. Congratulations everyone:)

I disagree a little with Walter, though. I think this is Hitler, that stuff under his nose qualifies as part of the painted moustache;) and I'm trying to figure out what is in his mouth?

national%2012.jpg

Nice book, Sharon. While the facial expression and theme certainly imply Germany and Hitler, the book was published months prior to the United States's formal entry into WWII. The publisher may have been simultaneously trying to fuel patriotic fervor and not offend the anti-war groups that still felt this was a European matter. So they may have instructed the artist to "make it look like Hitler, but leave us a little wiggle room."

When I see this book, I think of Jimmy Buffett..."I wish I had a pencil thin mustache, the Boston Blackie kind..."

That makes sense, Walter:) Thanks:)

There is another book, that's been driving me crazy. It was about a Japanese attack in Hawaii, and it was published before Pearl Harbor. I know I had a copy at one time, maybe you can tell me which one it was, Walter? Or anyone:)

That makes sense, Walter:) Thanks:)

There is another book, that's been driving me crazy. It was about a Japanese attack in Hawaii, and it was published before Pearl Harbor. I know I had a copy at one time, maybe you can tell me which one it was, Walter? Or anyone:)

Was it Bill Barnes #7 you were thinking of?

1527674-752010567o.jpg

Of course, there were many anti-Nazi and (to a lesser extent) anti-Japan covers/stories well before Pearl Harbor. Cap 1 has a cover date of March 1941 and shows Hitler contemplating an invasion of the United States.

Logan is correct. National 18. On the stands in November 1941, the month before the attack on Pearl Harbor. It's an impossible book. Ive had this copy for 10 years and have never seen another for sale.

Scan-2.jpg

That issue was noticeably missing from the National run in the just concluded CC auction.

Of course, there were many anti-Nazi and (to a lesser extent) anti-Japan covers/stories well before Pearl Harbor. Cap 1 has a cover date of March 1941 and shows Hitler contemplating an invasion of the United States.

True, but only National 18 depicts an invasion of Pearl Harbor before 12/7/41. However, I believe it was both the Japanese and Germans invading Pearl Harbor in the story if my recollection is correct.

True, but only National 18 depicts an invasion of Pearl Harbor before 12/7/41. However, I believe it was both the Japanese and Germans invading Pearl Harbor in the story if my recollection is correct.

IIRC, someone recently discovered another Pearl Harbor attack story that preceded the actual attack. Of course, I have no recollection of who or where that was, but details aren't important, are they?

Thanks, Josh:) :foryou:

There is another one, Dan...because I've never read the 18,never even seen one...and it's amazing, so thanks again Josh!

But all of these stories, just show us how what an absolutely wonderful hobby we share, doesn't it?

I have to remember never to list another book before rereading it first, lol. I usually don't, but life interferes sometimes;)

Oh, yeah? Then what about this one? It shows the devastating Chicken Man invasion three full years before it took place! :sumo:

fut1.29a_zpsxjfyoiho.jpg

Oh, yeah? Then what about this one? It shows the devastating Chicken Man invasion three full years before it took place! :sumo:

fut1.29a_zpsxjfyoiho.jpg

That is shocking. Just shocking. The Chicken Man commeth (thumbs u

The Top Notch #1 is probably the earliest fictional attack on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese or their thinly disguised surrogates, and there are a few others too before National #18 (cover dated 12/41).

Years ago it seems that only National 18 was known/hyped, and I remember thinking it seemed so spooky that such a story appeared before the actual attack. Now after discovering several other similar tales I figured that Pearl Harbor was a well-known military base and a logical place for an attack to occur, so not quite so surprising that among the hundreds of GA stories to show heroes fighting the Axis around the world, a few would "foretell" of attacks on the Hawaiian naval base.

Still, they are very cool books! And the National 18 seems to be a very uncommon book.