• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Johnny545 said:

The Science 2 CGC 3.5 c/ow sold for $6000+ (can someone give the exact number?)

Science 2 is a great cover, but this is a head scratcher for me.

Here's the thing about Science 2: she's naked!

I tend to agree with Rick, I love the book, and it might my fav of the run (though my new Science 3 is making me rethink that!), but Science 2 is reaching that cult status, where Jon Berk's expressed fondness for this particular book adding to its allure. Not sure it will be the massive breakout book at the next auction, but I wouldn't be surprised to see its value holding at the $1.5K per point. 

32 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

I tend to agree with Rick, I love the book, and it might my fav of the run (though my new Science 3 is making me rethink that!), but Science 2 is reaching that cult status, where Jon Berk's expressed fondness for this particular book adding to its allure. Not sure it will be the massive breakout book at the next auction, but I wouldn't be surprised to see its value holding at the $1.5K per point. 

If Berk's copy is even $2k a point I will be ALL OVER that book. xD

It will be a lot higher but that is obviously to be expected with exceptional copies. 

2 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

It will be a breakout book long overdue book :headbang:

5 hours ago, comicjack said:

Science 2 is a tougher book with a more classic goldenage  pulp look to it IMHO  :smile:

The shudder pulps were clearly an influence on a lot of GA covers, some outright swiping from them, and while I appreciate it, and love any of the comic covers, which tended to be more colorful,  there's a part of me that thinks when comparing the prices for such books, that one would be better off buying the pulps, which generally were more outrageous in their cover depictions of madmen menacing women in bondage. 

13 minutes ago, rjpb said:

The shudder pulps were clearly an influence on a lot of GA covers, some outright swiping from them, and while I appreciate it, and love any of the comic covers, which tended to be more colorful,  there's a part of me that thinks when comparing the prices for such books, that one would be better off buying the pulps, which generally were more outrageous in their cover depictions of madmen menacing women in bondage. 

I always think the same thing whenever I see a good pulp cover. "If that was on a comic it would be 10x the price."

Edited by october

12 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I agree and if a Gerber like pulp book was done the prices wouldn't  be so cheap on them anymore :smile:

20 minutes ago, comicjack said:

I agree and if a Gerber like pulp book was done the prices wouldn't  be so cheap on them anymore :smile:

With today's cover driven mindset I believe the demand is surely there for such a book. I would grab it in a heartbeat. Over in the fiction house thread I posted some of the Planet Stories covers which were swiped for Planet Comics, does anybody have any examples for Fox comics?

I know that Blue Beetle doesn't get the same love as some of the other early Fox titles, but I couldn't help myself with this issue in the March CC auction :) Not only does it have a sweet Petenaude hypo/bondage cover, it also has a quasi, Bad- Betty & Veronica vibe on the cover as well :cloud9:

blu2.435a.jpg

1 minute ago, Supernerd said:

I know that Blue Beetle doesn't get the same love as some of the other early Fox titles, but I couldn't help myself with this issue in the March CC auction :) Not only does it have a sweet Petenaude hypo/bondage cover, it also has a quasi, Bad- Betty & Veronica vibe on the cover as well :cloud9:

blu2.435a.jpg

Fabulous!  (thumbsu

25 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:

Over in the fiction house thread I posted some of the Planet Stories covers which were swiped for Planet Comics, does anybody have any examples for Fox comics?

Great question.

I had found & posted a couple of pulp cover swipe sources in the early years of this Fox thread. You'd really have to dig awhile for them though. Not sure if the images will still show.

I believe almost every Fox cover by Joe Simon has one or more pulp cover swipes. (Off the top of my head, we had found earlier pulp sources for figures on Fantastic Comics #8, Science Comics #6, Mystery Men #10 and at least a few others.) He's obviously a talented artist in his own right; I imagine he had a ton of covers to grind out under crazy deadlines once Lou Fine and the whole Eisner/Iger team departed, and this was the most efficient way to get them done.

4 hours ago, october said:

Probably my favorites per title....

weird%202_zpsyk3hxrll.jpg

mysteymen10.jpg

science2.jpg

wonderworld%207_zpsxw9ni4il.jpg

I agree! (since I am lucky to own 3 of the 4 books!). Of course if you had listed Gene Autry #236, and I owned that book, I would also agree! :insane:?

i guess the proof that the blue beetle run is second-string in my mind is the fact that i virtually always associate my fox-thru-7/40-run with the 5 titles we've largely been talking about [fantastic, m men, science, weird and w'world].  but, really, the pertinent blue beetles have only 1 less book than the weirds!  anyway, i guess if i add a fave from that run, i'll go with...

bb2.jpg

Edited by Straw-Man