• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

first one was bought simply cuz pons was peddling it when i arrived at wizard chicago in '06, and it was cool looking at a good price.   allentown bought right after i decided to do a pedigree type-set, and i knew that was a small-hoard/tuff ped to acquire.  those 2 books, bought close together in time, made me check out the publisher's titles in the gerbers a bit more studiously, and the idea to complete everything thru 7/40 was hatched.  fave part of my collection these days, even more esteemed than the timely runs.

39 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Well I would say those 2 put you off the starting block in pretty great shape BP!! WOWZERS!!! You certainly don't mess around man!! 

18 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

first one was bought simply cuz pons was peddling it when i arrived at wizard chicago in '06, and it was cool looking at a good price.   allentown bought right after i decided to do a pedigree type-set, and i knew that was a small-hoard/tuff ped to acquire.  those 2 books, bought close together in time, made me check out the publisher's titles in the gerbers a bit more studiously, and the idea to complete everything thru 7/40 was hatched.  fave part of my collection these days, even more esteemed than the timely runs.

Gino beat me to the punch. Not a bad way to inaugurate a Fox collection! Fantastic books! Thanks for the neat back-story on the genesis of your Fox collection. I was at Wizard in 2006 I think; had no clue that something so spectacular as Fox Feature Syndicate even existed back then. Hard lesson to learn, prices being what they are these days...

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

More than your Raboys?! Say it ain't so! :cry:

6 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

From the Miles 2nd Hand Store pedigree. :insane:

My first book with bipedal pachyderm alien robots. Loving it!!

(...decorative carpet not included in purchase)

Science_3_300_8w_9q_zps0zystu3t.jpg

Just beautiful colors on that book. I also have quote a few books from the "Miles 2nd Hand Store pedigree" Like "Bonnetts", they must have had some great books pass over their counter...

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Just beautiful colors on that book. I also have quote a few books from the "Miles 2nd Hand Store pedigree" Like "Bonnetts", they must have had some great books pass over their counter...

Thanks RM! I was wondering if there might be other "Miles" books out there. Now I know! That's pretty neat. A quick Google search didn't have any hits. 

I would guess that in addition to the great books passing over their counter, there must have been A LOT of books passing over their counter, for more than a handful of them to have survived.:preach:

41 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

My first early Fox and currently the only one in my collection.  You guys all gave me congrats a couple months ago but I still like showing it. Remember, nobody in my regular life cares :cry:

fc.jpg

Nice to see you haven't sold her... yet. :bigsmile:

50 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

My first early Fox and currently the only one in my collection.  You guys all gave me congrats a couple months ago but I still like showing it. Remember, nobody in my regular life cares :cry:

fc.jpg

This is your regular life.  Haven't you figured that out by now? :taptaptap:

53 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

fc.jpg

Agreed can't see that too much at all!!! Book has REALLY took off too!! Share away brother!! 

Edited by gino2paulus2

On 5/5/2017 at 8:00 PM, Point Five said:

Wow, some surprisingly soft prices on most of the CC Weird Comics that finished tonight. (Maybe everyone was busy outbidding me on the Zips instead!) I wasn't home when the Weirds finished but I now wish I'd thrown in bids on a few. Definitely thought they'd go higher, go figure.

Missing one of my favorite threads here as I've been away for the past month and just hate working the boards off a mobile phone.  :eek:

Yes, lots of low to mid grade Fox books in this past CC auction here.  Not that surprised at all and actually expected the lower than normal recent prices on the Fox books due to the Berk effect with the massive volume of Fox books being made available in the upcoming CC auction.

Felt sorry for the consignor of these books as this was definitely a far less than perfect time to be unloading a large collection of Fox books.  :frown:

Perfect time for me to get back home though in terms of bidding on some of these books from the Berk Collection.  Just hoping to be lucky and able to snag one or two of these books that falls through the crack since I expect the majority of the prices to be well beyond my reach.  :wishluck:

On 5/7/2017 at 2:02 AM, rjpb said:
On 5/6/2017 at 7:14 AM, skypinkblu said:

Is there a way to see closed prices on CC? I know you can't  on comiclink unless you bid.

If you remember the particular book you are curious about, just google Comicconnect and the name and issue number of the comic ( use the # symbol) and it will come up.

I find it a lot easier to simply go back to the individual daily session emails that CC sends out to you about 1 week prior to the start of their auction.  This will give you direct access to every single one of their books that have been auctioned off.  :gossip:

On 5/9/2017 at 1:28 PM, Straw-Man said:

mysterymen11.jpg

Wow, looks like you've got yourself a real winner here.........not only the highest graded copy, but an Allentown pedigree copy to boot.  :cloud9:

Looks like this copy was so far ahead of the Church copy from Berk's collection that they didn't even bother to list it in the catalogue.  Probably not much chance of a copy that will grade higher than this since this particular issue is also absent from the Larson List.  Only one other copy that's been graded out at CGC 9.0, but probably locked away somewhere since I haven't seen it surfaced after all these years.  hm

On 5/19/2017 at 11:32 AM, Straw-Man said:

extremely happy to have grabbed this upgrade off h'tage this a.m.!

fantastic5_1.jpg

Congrats on a real steal here as this particular issue has been on fire lately, and yet you was able to snag it at a price point that is quite a bit lower than what the past few copies have sold for.  :golfclap:

On 5/9/2017 at 1:41 PM, MrBedrock said:

While obviously not a Fine cover CGC said otherwise on this old label...

wonderworld13.jpg

On 6/2/2017 at 0:50 PM, MrBedrock said:

bluebeetle54.jpg

Richard;

Absolutely beautiful copies you've got here!  (thumbsu

Are these your archived scans here since I thought you were liberating all of your books from their imprisoned tombs?  hm

Just now, lou_fine said:

Richard;

Absolutely beautiful copies you've got here!  (thumbsu

Are these your archived scans here since I thought you were liberating all of your books from their imprisoned tombs?  hm

Thanks! I always scan the slabs before cracking them out, and I have opened about 400 books in the last year, but oddly enough these two are both still encapsulated. I didn't break out alot of 50s books like the Blue Beetle because I mainly got it for the cover. I don't know why the Wonderworld hasn't been opened.