• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

ww13.jpg

While obviously not a Fine cover CGC said otherwise on this old label...

wonderworld13.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock

I'm new to this debate, but Wonderworld #13 is thought to be Joe Simon? I am really surprised. The handling of the figures, the fluid lines and the airy composition seem pretty dramatically different than all his other Fox covers, no?

4 minutes ago, Point Five said:

I'm new to this debate, but Wonderworld #13 is thought to be Joe Simon? I am really surprised. The handling of the figures, the fluid lines and the airy composition seem pretty dramatically different than all his other Fox covers, no?

I am the opposite, I don't know why there was ever a debate TBH.  

I don't think it looks like Fine's work at all.  

It isn't intricate enough, too much open space on that cover and the line work is different.

A great cover regardless.

6 minutes ago, Johnny545 said:
13 minutes ago, Point Five said:

I am the opposite, I don't know why there was ever a debate TBH.  

I don't think it looks like Fine's work at all.  

It isn't intricate enough, too much open space on that cover and the line work is different.

A great cover regardless.

No debate...Simon signed the artwork. If you look closely above the squiggly lines on the right side of the cover it reads "Joe" in the black of the ghouls arm, and "Simon" just below in the pink of the robe.

17 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

No debate...Simon signed the artwork. If you look closely above the squiggly lines on the right side of the cover it reads "Joe" in the black of the ghouls arm, and "Simon" just below in the pink of the robe.

Welp! There you go then. Perhaps Simon finished a layout by Fine or someone else, as this was around the time he took over at Fox? I just can't get past the light, fluid figures... compare to the chunky figures with heavier inks on his other Fox covers.

2 hours ago, Point Five said:

Welp! There you go then. Perhaps Simon finished a layout by Fine or someone else, as this was around the time he took over at Fox? I just can't get past the light, fluid figures... compare to the chunky figures with heavier inks on his other Fox covers.

Well, signatures (and Richard) don't lie, but I agree with Jon -- it looks to me like Fine helped out with the layouts/pencils for the Flame (or the Art Director just put in a stat); it almost looks like he was added later. He's kind of floating above the rest of the cover. 

38 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

+1

Good thing I will be winning this in the Berk auction. :foryou:

I hope so ... but I think that book is going directly to the moon with no intermediate stops!

27 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Well, signatures (and Richard) don't lie, but I agree with Jon -- it looks to me like Fine helped out with the layouts/pencils for the Flame (or the Art Director just put in a stat); it almost looks like he was added later. He's kind of floating above the rest of the cover. 

certainly possible; after all, just a couple months later cgc claims they collaborated on this one.

ww15.jpg~original.jpeg

On 5/8/2017 at 2:21 PM, Supernerd said:

I know that Blue Beetle doesn't get the same love as some of the other early Fox titles, but I couldn't help myself with this issue in the March CC auction :) Not only does it have a sweet Petenaude hypo/bondage cover, it also has a quasi, Bad- Betty & Veronica vibe on the cover as well :cloud9:

blu2.435a.jpg

Meant to quote this AWESOME PICKUP last night but got busy!! WHOA!!! Huge congrats I simply love this book great pickup glad you got it!!

10 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

i guess the proof that the blue beetle run is second-string in my mind is the fact that i virtually always associate my fox-thru-7/40-run with the 5 titles we've largely been talking about [fantastic, m men, science, weird and w'world].  but, really, the pertinent blue beetles have only 1 less book than the weirds!  anyway, i guess if i add a fave from that run, i'll go with...

bb2.jpg

5 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

here's a cool enterprise--what are the 5 best fox covers NOT by lou.  I've got mine coming.

mysterymen10.jpg

science4.jpg

ignore this label.

weird1.jpg

mysterymen11.jpg

ww13.jpg

WOW!!!!! HARD TO ARGUE THIS GROUP!!! 

On 5/8/2017 at 9:36 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

If Berk's copy is even $2k a point I will be ALL OVER that book. xD

It will be a lot higher but that is obviously to be expected with exceptional copies. 

Well, the Berk copy of Science 2 that was just posted on CC is... ... wait for it... ... an 8.0 restored, um, "conserved."

Kind of takes the wind out of the "sales" (:wink:) for this book being the new breakout star of the show. 

8 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

Well, the Berk copy of Science 2 that was just posted on CC is... ... wait for it... ... an 8.0 restored, um, "conserved."

Kind of takes the wind out of the "sales" (:wink:) for this book being the new breakout star of the show. 

Yeah. I had assumed (you know what that means) that Berk had the 9.2 Universal. Who has it? hm

On 5/9/2017 at 2:22 PM, Straw-Man said:

here's a cool enterprise--what are the 5 best fox covers NOT by lou.  I've got mine coming.

mysterymen10.jpg

I'd choose Science 3 & 4 as 1a & 1b.  Mystery Men 6 & 10 would be 3a & 3b.  #5 would be a struggle, Science 5, WW 13, or even a later numbered issue could slide in (limiting myself to the "Big 5")

Science 3a.jpg

IMG_2948.JPG

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

extremely happy to have grabbed this upgrade off h'tage this a.m.!

fantastic5_1.jpg

Stole it.