• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

"Best of run", interesting topic - being an early guy, I naturally favor the early issues of the anthology titles:

Fantastic #3

Mystery Men #3

Science #4

Weird #2

Wonderworld #7

Fox honorable mention: Mystery Men #10

Blue Beetle #3 is another great Fox cover, IMHO...

19 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I think Science 2 and Mystery Men 10 are the greatest Fox covers. I may be alone in that opinion but I don't think so:wink:

I would still love a Science 2 but you know Rick me and the family are suckers for a MMC #10 too!! ??

Mystery Men Comics #1034385937091_e2e8203d02_b.jpg

25 minutes ago, sacentaur said:

"Best of run", interesting topic - being an early guy, I naturally favor the early issues of the anthology titles:

Fantastic #3

Mystery Men #3

Science #4

Weird #2

Wonderworld #7

Agreed on all.

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

I feel similarly about Fantastic #3. Great Lou Fine cover? Yes. Greatest Lou Fine cover - or even greatest Lou Fine Fox cover - not for me - though killer robots are always a plus. The same could be said for Suspense #3 IM(not so)HO. One of Schomburg's great covers - okay, I'll buy that.  His greatest cover - not even close.  But in both cases they have become iconic among collectors, and have come to represent the pinnacle of their respective artist's output in the minds of many. 

My only point was that there is no reason Science 2 should be breaking out above Science 1 or 4 or a dozen other Fox issues with great covers.

Either those issues play catchup or Science 2 comes back to Earth and the last sale is an outlier.

It is a great cover, but not a lock for even best of the run and it certainly isn't iconic like Fantastic/Suspense 3.

It just shouldn't be selling for more than a bunch of other comparable issues and definitely shouldn't be leaping over books like WW7.

So the WW7 6.0 ow/w CBCS sale ($5125) in the same auction a Science 2 cgc 3.5 c/ow sells for $6200 seems bizarre.

Maybe someone desperately wanted to complete a run, maybe someone thought they might not get a chance at another and over did it, but aside from that the sale is very confusing and I think unlikely to be repeated.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Johnny545

16 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

The Church copy of Mystery Men 10 ... what an eyesore. That book would suck to own.

Would that make it on the roster of Team Cool Books?!!! I think it would!! 

Oh and best of Run = Patenaude :fear:

9 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

I actually tend to agree with this statement. I would like to add that what I am seeing is that the late issues AND early issues seem to separate themselves from the middle run issues. For example the #18 was a 1.8 that still brought $676. The #2 which is early and a classic cover was a 1.5 the brought $725. With the exception of the #11 (rare) which was a 2.0 that brought in $802 the middle run issues underperformed compared to the early OR late run issues. For example the #5 was a 2.0 that brought $432. The #13 was a 4.0 that brought $431. The #14 was a 1.8 that brought $335 and Yes we have the #20 which has the Hitler cover which was a 3.0 and brought $3300. I didn't include any restored or conserved books these were all Universal so while yes I agree the prices may be closer to market the early and late issues are still commanding a premium and for good reason most of them have, "cooler" less dull covers. 

That being said I would like to know your opinion on the late run scarce US Jones #2 that was a 4.0 and brought in $4885!! No Hitler on that cover. (Full disclosure I DID NOT run this book up at all just as I said I wouldn't I didn't participate I was actually curious to see how it would do without me running it up and it had a great result) I think it was VERY strong BUT was it a FLUKE? 

I think the 20 was a rather weak 3.0, what with all the ink on both covers and a lot of spine damage.  I think a stronger 3.0 could have gone significantly higher.  I know I would have pushed a copy like that higher than the price this one hammered at.

58 minutes ago, sacentaur said:
1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

The Church copy of Mystery Men 10 ... what an eyesore. That book would suck to own.

Imagine being stuck with the Larson copy...

Haven't you dumped that loser yet? :taptaptap:

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I think the 20 was a rather weak 3.0, what with all the ink on both covers and a lot of spine damage.  I think a stronger 3.0 could have gone significantly higher.  I know I would have pushed a copy like that higher than the price this one hammered at.

Agreed, I thought it was closer to a 2.0/2.5, though it did seem to have nice color.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

9 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Agreed, I thought it was closer to a 2.0/2.5, though it did seem to have nice color.

totally Agree with you both and i think the final bid was representative of that. If i had the dough though i wouldn't have minded starting the smallest of hoards hehe!! 

1 hour ago, lpsunburst said:

there are some great ones at the end of the run, Gino is 100% correct on that. I really like this one.

img308.jpg

1 hour ago, lpsunburst said:

But of course the Science 4 is pretty great.

img245.jpg

There are 2 AWESOME BOOKS right there!!!! 

5 hours ago, sacentaur said:

Fantastic #3

Mystery Men #3

Science #4

Weird #2

Wonderworld #7

one little switch to weird 1, and i'm in tune with this.

12 hours ago, Johnny545 said:

The Science 2 CGC 3.5 c/ow sold for $6000+ (can someone give the exact number?)

The Wonderworld 7 Cbcs 6.0 ow/w sold for $6150.

Science 2 is a great cover, but this is a head scratcher for me.

Science 2 is much harder to find, particularly in any kind of decent shape.  Both are considered Lou Fine classics.  In my collecting life of 20 years or so, Science 2 used to be considered more desirable than WW7, which is a more recent breakout in terms of nutty prices.