• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2017 at 7:03 AM, Zolnerowich said:
On 5/7/2017 at 8:18 AM, Johnny545 said:

The Science 2 CGC 3.5 c/ow sold for $6000+ (can someone give the exact number?)

Science 2 is a great cover, but this is a head scratcher for me.

Here's the thing about Science 2: she's naked!

I tend to agree with Rick, I love the book, and it might my fav of the run (though my new Science 3 is making me rethink that!), but Science 2 is reaching that cult status, where Jon Berk's expressed fondness for this particular book adding to its allure. Not sure it will be the massive breakout book at the next auction, but I wouldn't be surprised to see its value holding at the $1.5K per point. 

All this talk about Science 2, 3, and 4.  Makes me wonder if everybody here has forgotten all about Science 1 with that beautiful blue cover.  (tsk)

Personally for myself, I prefer the Science 2 over the Science 4 as it just appears to be a more dynamic cover from my point of view.  Even though it's a restored PLOD copy, it looks like the book will still go for big dollars as it is already well above the condition guide price for an unrestored copy at this early stage of the auction.  :frown:

53 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

All this talk about Science 2, 3, and 4.  Makes me wonder if everybody here has forgotten all about Science 1 with that beautiful blue cover(tsk)

Personally for myself, I prefer the Science 2 over the Science 4 as it just appears to be a more dynamic cover from my point of view.  Even though it's a restored PLOD copy, it looks like the book will still go for big dollars as it is already well above the condition guide price for an unrestored copy at this early stage of the auction.  :frown:

You mean this old chestnut?

Science_1_300dpi_6w_9q_zpsfymbqj35.jpg

Yes, I agree -- not sure why this doesn't get the same love as Science #2-4...

15 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

You mean this old chestnut?

Science_1_300dpi_6w_9q_zpsfymbqj35.jpg

Yes, I agree -- not sure why this doesn't get the same love as Science #2-4...

So maybe an odd observation, but Electro is drawn anatomically correct as opposed to the vast majority of Ken Doll superheroes from the era.

39 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:

So maybe an odd observation, but Electro is drawn anatomically correct as opposed to the vast majority of Ken Doll superheroes from the era.

Well, Lou Fine was all about the detailed rendering of the human physique! In his autobiography, Murphy Anderson indicated that Lou would basically sketch the figures without clothes on, and only dress them afterward. :blush:

There's always something new I see whenever I look at this book. Just now noticed that the chief surgeon drilling into the lady's right upper thigh is sporting "Fu Manchu" whiskers.

On 6/1/2017 at 9:35 PM, rjpb said:

I actually like the cover to 53 more than 54, but 54 has that GGA magic.

On 6/2/2017 at 10:06 AM, Robot Man said:

I vote for 52 but sadly, I don't have one to post...

+1

You can toss my vote in for BB 52 also.  (thumbsu

Now, that's the classic girl in chain bondage cover, with the beautiful red, green, and blue cover to top it off.  :cloud9:

On 5/7/2017 at 5:41 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

That being said I would like to know your opinion on the late run scarce US Jones #2 that was a 4.0 and brought in $4885!! No Hitler on that cover. (Full disclosure I DID NOT run this book up at all just as I said I wouldn't I didn't participate I was actually curious to see how it would do without me running it up and it had a great result) I think it was VERY strong BUT was it a FLUKE? 

On 5/7/2017 at 8:53 AM, rjpb said:

The dramatic jump in values late run Fox books is definitely a combination of scarcity and cool, or at least WW2 themed covers, fed by a "got to have" mentality among collectors. These books were just as scarce 10 years ago when they sold for 10% of what they do now........... I suspect the U.S. Jones #2 sale is an example of this, but who knows for sure, if you had told collectors 10 years ago what some of these books would sell for in a decade, they would have thought you were delusional. 

With the US Jones #2, I believe the consignor actually lost money on this book since it sold for only $4,885.  :whatthe:

After all, I believe this is the exact same copy that sold on eBay for $4,715 back in August or September of last year?  :gossip:

41 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

With the US Jones #2, I believe the consignor actually lost money on this book since it sold for only $4,885.  :whatthe:

After all, I believe this is the exact same copy that sold on eBay for $4,715 back in August or September of last year?  :gossip:

I'll be curious to see what the 8.0 Church copy sells for. The norm for a VF book is to sell for 3-5X what a VG would, but that's non-pedigree. On the other hand, for very scarce books, auction fever can drive the price of lower grade copies to a much higher percentage of what subsequent higher grade copes might fetch, and the usual multiples don't apply. 

7 hours ago, buttock said:
7 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Amazing! 

No, it's Fantastic. 

Weird.

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

Weird.

Whether it's WEIRD or FANTASTIC is a MYSTERY not many MEN whether of faith or SCIENCE could comprehend in this WONDER WORLD we live in today!! 

Great books everyone!! Today yet again I have managed to run out of likes so just assume I adore them all ??