• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, lpsunburst said:

I can see what you mean about the 7 but that is a very nice lloking 4.5. shouldnt you be upgrading that lowly 3 as well, maybe you could pass your under copy to some boardie in need... :baiting:

thanks.  yeah, it presents at first blush as mid-grade, but then the eye finally finds that nice tear and bend above her head.  

Anybody else that was shocked, or was it just me, at this sale of the raw F/VF Mystery Men #11 for the very strong price of $5,700:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=713207&title=MYSTERYMEN COMICS

It ended up selling for $5,700 or at a multiple of over 7.2X condition price, while all of the other CGC graded copies surrounding it sold for substantially lower price multiples except for the MM #10 issue.  Especially surprising was the fact that all of the other copies were well into their 9's in terms of condition, as almost all of them were higher than the 9.2 top of guide condition range. 

Is this a sign that collectors now think that Metro under grades their books and this copy will come back from CGC at a higher than 7.0 grade?  lol  Don't think this will happen because of the 2 big spine splits as noted by CC in their auction description.  This combined with the fact that this issue was listed by Chuck as being in only Fine condition in his original MH catalogue, whereas every other issue in the entire Church MM run was listed as being in either NM or NM+ condition.  Or is it possible that MM 11 is now seen by some collectors as the poor man's cover version of the seemingly more classic cover for MM 10?  hm  (shrug)

Any bets that the buyer of the CGC 9.0 Allentown Mystery Men 10 from 2005 must be absolutely ecstatic with this sales result.  Especially since this 9.0 grade is still the highest grade achieved after all of these long years.  Although I am still not sure if a CGC 9.0 graded copy would be able to beat the $5,700 price mark of a raw F/VF copy due to the Church pedigree coupled with the Berk "berserkness", even though it probably should.  hm

48 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Anybody else that was shocked, or was it just me, at this sale of the raw F/VF Mystery Men #11 for the very strong price of $5,700:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?referral=EAlist&id=713207&title=MYSTERYMEN COMICS

It ended up selling for $5,700 or at a multiple of over 7.2X condition price, while all of the other CGC graded copies surrounding it sold for substantially lower price multiples except for the MM #10 issue.  Especially surprising was the fact that all of the other copies were well into their 9's in terms of condition, as almost all of them were higher than the 9.2 top of guide condition range. 

Is this a sign that collectors now think that Metro under grades their books and this copy will come back from CGC at a higher than 7.0 grade?  lol  Don't think this will happen because of the 2 big spine splits as noted by CC in their auction description.  This combined with the fact that this issue was listed by Chuck as being in only Fine condition in his original MH catalogue, whereas every other issue in the entire Church MM run was listed as being in either NM or NM+ condition.  Or is it possible that MM 11 is now seen by some collectors as the poor man's cover version of the seemingly more classic cover for MM 10?  hm  (shrug)

Any bets that the buyer of the CGC 9.0 Allentown Mystery Men 10 from 2005 must be absolutely ecstatic with this sales result.  Especially since this 9.0 grade is still the highest grade achieved after all of these long years.  Although I am still not sure if a CGC 9.0 graded copy would be able to beat the $5,700 price mark of a raw F/VF copy due to the Church pedigree coupled with the Berk "berserkness", even though it probably should.  hm

It's a Church copy with as much eye-appeal as any 9.X Church book. If it had graded that high, it probably would have sold for 3x as much or more. The pedigree is more important than technical grade, and the opportunity to pick up a Church copy of high demand book is going to keep the valuation high, as it's still comparatively cheap to what most Church copies cost. I doubt it comes back any higher graded if slabbed, and that it was unusual in not being slabbed for the sale has me wondering if it originally had been, but harshly graded by CGC, as they frequently ignore eye-appeal. Regardless, I'm sure the buyer is happy at have picked up one the Church fantastics at a fraction of what it might have cost without the splits. 

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Is this a sign that collectors now think that Metro under grades their books and this copy will come back from CGC at a higher than 7.0 grade?  lol 

:roflmao:(everyone's a comedian)

I did not track the Berk auction, but Bedrock snagging the Church Mystery Men 10 has to be one of the prime Fox scores.

After all these years, the Larson Mystery Men 10 is currently at CGC (not pressed) though I admit I'm a bit worried as they are currently in a "harsh" period (plus CGC is not exactly known for being kind to Larsons). :wishluck:

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

I did not track the Berk auction, but Bedrock snagging the Church Mystery Men 10 has to be one of the prime Fox scores.

After all these years, the Larson Mystery Men 10 is currently at CGC (not pressed) though I admit I'm a bit worried as they are currently in a "harsh" period (plus CGC is not exactly known for being kind to Larsons). :wishluck:

Wow, absolutely surprised that you are finally having your Larson copy of Mystery Men 10 graded?  :whatthe:

Does this mean that you are actually thinking of selling it or just having it graded and checked for restoration for your own information purposes? 

Although CGC may not be kind to the Larson books, I hope you do realize that they are extremely harsh  :makepoint:  on unpressed books because this means that you are hurting their bottom-line because you have not presented them with the opportunity to maximize their revenue dollars on your book.  (tsk)  lol

Edited by lou_fine

Just now, lou_fine said:

Wow, absolutely surprised that you are finally having your Larson copy of Mystery Men 10 graded?  :whatthe:

Does this mean that you are actually thinking of selling it or just having it graded and checked for restoration for your own information purposes? 

Although CGC may not be kind to the Larson books, I hope you realize that they are extremely harsh  :makepoint:  on unpressed books because this means that you are hurting their bottom-line because you have not presented them with the opportunity to maximize their revenue dollars on your book.  (tsk)  lol

Just for my own peace of mind. 

Of the books I've chosen to slab, I'm not pressing the vast majority of them because the lengthy CCS delay and high cost is really off-putting.

Besides, when give a choice I actually prefer books in their natural state (as crazy as that may sound).

2 minutes ago, sacentaur said:
10 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Although CGC may not be kind to the Larson books, I hope you realize that they are extremely harsh  :makepoint:  on unpressed books because this means that you are hurting their bottom-line because you have not presented them with the opportunity to maximize their revenue dollars on your book.  (tsk)  lol

Just for my own peace of mind. 

Of the books I've chosen to slab, I'm not pressing the vast majority of them because the lengthy CCS delay and high cost is really off-putting.

Besides, when give a choice I actually prefer books in their natural state (as crazy as that may sound).

Always a good thing to have peace of mind.  :smile:

Should it take only a few weeks and cost only about $15 to get a book pressed, but I am probably the last person anybody should ask with respect to CGC grading and pressing fees.  :facepalm:

Yes indeed, au naturel is always better than artificially enhanced.  (thumbsu

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

yes, said 2005 buyer is ecstatic [i know you meant mm 11 above, and not 10].  and that price would be a far cry from what it would take to pry it from me, but, as it's not for sale nor will it be in the near future, it's a moot point.

mysterymen11.jpg

20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I bought it and paid $5700 because I want it. End of analysis. 

...and stop talking in terms of guide multiples. It's goofy.