• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

this might be my fave non-fine/simon fox hero cover.  i almost went after it the first time around, but was paranoid about costing myself a shot at a couple berk church books.  well, it came back around on the 'bay, and i grabbed it.

p.s.  don't pay attention to the label--it ain't joe.

samson6.jpg

Edited by Straw-Man

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

this might be my fave non-fine/simon fox hero cover.  i almost went after it the first time around, but was paranoid about costing myself a shot at a couple berk church books.  well, it came back around on the 'bay, and i grabbed it.

samson6.jpg

I had my eye on that one myself Billy, great pick ups you got there!

11 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

samson6.jpg

So glad you got this book BP I was so close to pulling the trigger on that one!! Very cool man!!

On 2/11/2018 at 10:26 AM, sacentaur said:

Ducpak :facepalm: - what a scourge on the hobby. reminder to never deal with such slime again. :acclaim:

Are you talking about that crook Danny Dupchak from Eastcoast USA that trimmed and color touched lots of nice SA, GA comics books and got a 'File Copy' stamp to use on the page 1 margin to create his own file copies? My blood boils when Dupchak, robojo, or whatever other alias he is using is mentioned. 

Bought my first Fox Giant (left pic). Bit of a strange miscut thick comic that says Hero Publishing (not Fox) NYC, NY on the indicia:

8AdjBXB.jpg

10 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Are you talking about that crook Danny Dupchak from Eastcoast USA that trimmed and color touched lots of nice SA, GA comics books and got a 'File Copy' stamp to use on the page 1 margin to create his own file copies? My blood boils when Dupchak, robojo, or whatever other alias he is using is mentioned. 

Yup, the one and only. Probably the worst-of-the-worst.

On 2/25/2018 at 9:59 PM, aardvark88 said:

Bought my first Fox Giant (left pic). Bit of a strange miscut thick comic that says Hero Publishing (not Fox) NYC, NY on the indicia:

8AdjBXB.jpg

Fox Giants are always a bit smaller than other books from the era in terms of height and width, as they were trimmed after being rebound.

On 2/24/2018 at 9:17 PM, Straw-Man said:

samson6.jpg

Fantastic! What a great snag on the ‘bay!

On 2/25/2018 at 9:59 PM, aardvark88 said:
On 2/11/2018 at 10:26 AM, sacentaur said:

Ducpak :facepalm: - what a scourge on the hobby. reminder to never deal with such slime again. :acclaim:

On 2/26/2018 at 8:17 AM, sacentaur said:

Yes, I guess a lot of us old timers probably had a run in with Danny Boy back in the day.  :censored:  :mad:

The only good thing is that he always had these outrageous and absolutely hilarious reasons to sidetrack whatever point you was trying to make to him as he was explaining why he couldn't reverse the scam he had just pulled on you.  You couldn't help but to laugh at some of the absolutely ridiculous stories he came up with.  lol

Patience is always a virtue though, as opposed to the macho bravado he always exhibited when he had the upper hand on you, he was really nothing more than a wailing crybaby  :cry:  :cry:  :cry: when the tables were turned and you had him by the balls and squeezing hard while dragging it out for months on end.  :devil:   :roflmao:

On 2/26/2018 at 11:17 AM, sacentaur said:

If I remember correctly, his last stand on eBay involved cracking out restored book and selling them as unrestored -- or, more accurately, not mentioning the resto, thereby leaving the buyer to assume they were unrestored.  If anyone came back to him after a book got a purple label from CGC, he would refund the buyer's dough.  As a result, I think he had perfect -- or near perfect -- feedback right to the end.

One of many examples of the eBay feedback mechanism being completely broken.

7 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Whoever picked up the 7.5 Blue Beetle 10 in the Clink auction yesterday got a good deal.  Was it a Boardie by any chance?

I agree!! what a great book!! and yes it was. 

Speaking of Blue Beetle I made a colossal mistake tonight. I typed in my bid for Mystery Men Comics #7 CGC 1.0 with SB pages and waited till 10 seconds to toss it in. I was at work might i add you so i had set my alarm set in my pocket so I wouldn’t miss it. My insufficiently_thoughtful_person brain tossed in 22 cents (lucky #) at the end of the # which was significantly higher than the winning bid  forgetting CL doesn’t accept cents and it came back ERROR wouldn’t take my bid and I didn’t have enough time to submit another!! :cry: Pretty upset but I know it was my mistake and I can’t beat myself up because you never know the other bidder may have went higher too. Guess I will never know but if it was a boardie congrats I saved you some money for sure!!