• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

Gotta say, Fantastic Comics, particularly issue 6 from 1940, stands out to me because even though many would probably agree that the art is too crude to be good, it still probably lends itself more to providing interesting/non-boring art, as opposed to the artists having drawn less supernatural stories like in the traditional crime or romances genres:

Joe Simon:

Ze8MxAw.jpg

Alex Blum:

jQw7VDm.jpg

Grieg Chapian:

2KJBNpU.jpg

Fletcher Hanks:

CmlDAod.jpg

Bill Bossert:

dyE9lZc.jpg

“Karl Kief”:

6qAN1zK.jpg

Source: CB+

On 9/22/2020 at 9:09 AM, Straw-Man said:

well, now that it's finally on its way to me, i guess i can post this little upgrade.

ww3.jpg

Well, you sneaky little devil and now I guess we know why you really didn't go after the Berk Church copy of this book in the last big CC auction a month ago:  :luhv:

On 7/24/2020 at 3:34 PM, Straw-Man said:

i see at least 9 quality books previewed.  pure coincidence that i have 9 books in the auction.  

On 7/25/2020 at 9:54 PM, lou_fine said:

Would the Church copy of Wonderworld Comics 3 be one of these 9 quality books?  :cloud9:

On 7/26/2020 at 5:34 AM, Straw-Man said:

if that one was mine, it would be my heirs peddling it. 

Well done and big congrats on an absolutely gorgeous pickup of an all-time key Fox book in superb census topping condition.  :applause:

Edited by lou_fine

On 9/23/2020 at 5:02 PM, sagii said:

...Well between @MrBedrock and @Straw-Man I know where a good portion of the Allentowns went :headbang:

When you see pedigree books like this, it's sad to realize that it's so easy for some of them to lose their chain of provenance over the years.  :(

Which was clearly the case here as I still remember this unmarked copy selling for the then astounding price of $25K+ way back in 2002 only to resell a few years later in 2005 for only $15K+:  :luhv:

lf?set=path%5B3%2F1%2F8%2F1%2F3181097%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Which makes it especially good to see that this spectacular copy here finally get back its much deserved pedigree designation.  Especially in the case of the unmarked Allentown books where it's so easy to lose track of them and there's so very few of them around (i.e. only 135 books in total) that we cannot afford to lose a single one of them.  :applause:  :cloud9:

Edited by lou_fine

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

When you see pedigree books like this, it's sad to realize that it's so easy for some of them to lose their chain of provenance over the years.  :(

Which was clearly the case here as I still remember this unmarked copy selling for the then astounding price of $25K+ way back in 2002 only to resell a few years later in 2005 for only $15K+:  :luhv:

lf?set=path%5B3%2F1%2F8%2F1%2F3181097%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

Which makes it especially good to see that this spectacular copy here finally get back its much deserved pedigree designation.  Especially in the case of the unmarked Allentown books where it's so easy to lose track of them and there's so very few of them around (i.e. only 135 books in total) that we cannot afford to lose a single one of them.  :applause:  :cloud9:

Nice detective work Lou, I suspected that was the same copy.  I wonder how they verified the Allentown provenance in light of the fact Allentown books have no distinctive markings.  I assume they consulted with Jim Payette?

22 minutes ago, RareHighGrade said:

Nice detective work Lou, I suspected that was the same copy.  I wonder how they verified the Allentown provenance in light of the fact Allentown books have no distinctive markings.  I assume they consulted with Jim Payette?

My assumption is that it was probably not too difficult in this particular case since the book most likely did not changed hands that many times.  Although they may have consulted with Payette himself for further confirmation, it might not have been necessary in this particular case since the book was sold through Metro/CC and the Allentown Collection was originally purchased by both Payette and Fishler back in 1987.  So, Fishler himself might have remember the book because he does have a mind like a steel trap when it comes to certain books.  In addition, he's like a bloodhound when it comes to tracking down the provenance of a book because I remember being interested in the Overstreet copy of Fantastic Comics #1 when I saw it at the Diamond Int'l Galleries grand opening and he refused to sell it to me at the time because he was sure it was the Larson copy, and if so, the price would then be substantially higher.  :(

Interesting to note that gorgeous umarked copy of Wonderworld 3 was sold in July of 2002 and then the purchaser must have tried unsuccessfully for a resub in hopes of a higher grade in August as evident by the new (i.e. current) serial number.  Unfortuantely for the purchaser, it looks like they took a huge bath on the 2005 HA resale as it sold for only $15,525 on its second go round in 2005.  I guess the boys at Heritage missed the fact both times that it was a pedigree since they didn't have either the access to the same personal history of the book or possibly the same degree of tenacity to verify the provenance as Fishler did.  hm  :applause:

Was looking over some Fox art and I think I was able to make a reasonably educated guess of one of the Flame stories as possibly having been drawn by Larry Antonette, the one in question being from The Flame #6 (August, 1941), under the pen name of “Basil Berold”:

hAStn5x.jpg

And got me wondering if there were not only more interior art, but also Flame cover art drawn by him that has otherwise been left uncredited. A lot of it has been given a possible attribution of Arturo Cazeneuve, whose style I’m not as familiar with.

Edited by Electricmastro

2 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

@Straw-Man 's WONDERful Lou Fine/Joe Simon run of Wonderworld Comics got me all revved me up to present a modest run of my own. Without further ado...

:applause: A very cool and difficult set of books to find this nice! :applause: