• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

man i wish i could figure out the point of this thread. can someone sum it up in a few sentences?

is it who is more important to comics sups or oldbuck?

i’m trying to think of a parallel in the music business or sports history, if there is one.

started off 6 months ago by me asking why Action 1 was worth at least 10 times more than Obadiah Oldbuck....after that, all heck broke loose, and continues to this day.

main issue: I posed the question as to compare 2 key comic books to each other...normal, everyday occurance here on the Boards.

Within 1 hour started the "wait a minute, Obadiah Oldbuck is not a comic book".....went into chaos from there.

yo Flying Donut

the article is all of 8 pages on the origin of the modern comic book in OPG

if you can figure out how to cram 50 pounds of "stuff" into a 5 pound bag, then let me know how and i will cheerfully squeeze it all in there

There is such a thing as Laws governing the concept of physics

I was asked to get into this thread a couple months after it began, after being alerted following the San Diego comicon that disparaging remarks were being made by a few about me, my comics research and customers.

me, i have been trying to have a conversation when possible with interested parties on comics, strips and comic books/magazines/periodicals before Famous Funnies

Think BC and AD if Action 1 runs your wagon and is the beginning of anything important

all fun & dandy - except i run a 10x30 foot booth at San Dee - right at the B door, heavy traffic, and i never get out of the booth except for a couple minutes at a time

the only panel i have done at San Dee for years was interviewing Irwin Donenfeld on stage, son of Harry Donenfeld, publisher of Action 1 - back in 2001

the importance of OO is in print in Overstreet - go read it there

i did not start this OO vs Action thread concept. Adams, you come off like you are 16 yrs old

Gee, Bob, I would think that you'd want to take 60 minutes out of your day to spread the

Gospel According to Beerbohm at the largest gathering of people interested in modern pop culture.

(notice I didn't say comicbooks...because we all know that the SD con isn't about that anymore !)

How about just a introduction lecture on OO and it's place in the time line ?

You might find some converts in the youngsters who attend..those are the minds that you need to enlist to become True Believers.

They are the ones who are the future of the hobby...not the Old Timers who are set in their ways and thinking.

yo Flying Donut

if you can figure out how to cram 50 pounds of "stuff" into a 5 pound bag, then let me know how and i will cheerfully squeeze it all in there

All I'm saying is that you're shortchanging the past 50 years in order to get the older stuff in there. I think your priorities are a little out of whack within the article. Perhaps a little less on Detective Dan and a mention in the text of Spider-Man, or the Fantastic Four, or the X-Men or any other superhero created since 1950.

Also, you've got the line "most of the growth has taken place outside the superhero genre." At the risk of opening another can of worms, when was the last time you were in a comic store? What other genres are showing growth?

Here's a character I know blb has knowledge of. Dr. Syntax, who may be the first contijuing comic character, though his exploits seemed to appear in single panels telling a sequential story. Don't know if his tales were ever compiled in a book. But I know these pieces appeared prior to 1842

Dr.jpg

Bob,

How many copies of Detective Dan have been uncovered?

Bill, I think Bob may be out of town, or at least off the Boards for a little while. Detective Dan is estimated to have approx. 6-8 copies in existence, with 6 probably being more accurate than 8. It is truly the rarest of the rare. The last copy that sold at auction was in 2004...here's info on that sale ( I was the 2nd highest bidder...still kicking myself! )

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/scoop_article.asp?ai=6484&si=123

Gee, Bob, I would think that you'd want to take 60 minutes out of your day to spread the

Gospel According to Beerbohm at the largest gathering of people interested in modern pop culture.

(notice I didn't say comicbooks...because we all know that the SD con isn't about that anymore !)

How about just a introduction lecture on OO and it's place in the time line ?

You might find some converts in the youngsters who attend..those are the minds that you need to enlist to become True Believers.

They are the ones who are the future of the hobby...not the Old Timers who are set in their ways and thinking.

Gee "adam", as some one who has sold at every San Diego since #1, San Diego to me these days is strictly work, ever since the comicon people decided i have seniority there and placed me right up at the B door entrance to the Gold/silver Pavilion - and the swirling crush of people, the accompanying pilfering potentials, much less sales volumes from a key spot

I have been conducting my research for my personal edification, and honestly could give a Rat's if any body chooses to "enlist" in the International Conspiracy

The history of the American comic book industry has been re-written, it is up to the individual to embrace the Good News of the New Testament of Comics, rather than being mired in Old Myths

yo Flying Donut

All I'm saying is that you're shortchanging the past 50 years in order to get the older stuff in there. I think your priorities are a little out of whack within the article. Perhaps a little less on Detective Dan and a mention in the text of Spider-Man, or the Fantastic Four, or the X-Men or any other superhero created since 1950.

Also, you've got the line "most of the growth has taken place outside the superhero genre." At the risk of opening another can of worms, when was the last time you were in a comic store? What other genres are showing growth?

I agree with you 100% - and in a perfect world of an unlimited space/time continuum involving an infinite expanding universe of paper page count in OPG, then what you suggest would easily have been accommodated long ago

The history stuff of the last 50 years is well documented else where, simply pick up Mike Benton's excellent series of comic book history books, or Ron Goulart's material, subscribe to Alter Ego, pick up Jon Cooke's run of Comic Book Artist, or Gary Carter's run on Comic Book Marketplace, and a host of other fine pubs & books easily available

I have been in hundreds of comic book stores all over the country. Last time in a comic book store were the fine people of Krypton Comics in Omaha, where i get what ever new stuff i choose to acquire. That line you quote from i believe i was referencing the 1950s at the time

Teaching Detective Dan, et al is where the archeology gets murky and that is what i choose to do, as in shed The Light on the early history, as there are more than enough resources available for some one to learn super hoer material post code

Here's a character I know blb has knowledge of. Dr. Syntax, who may be the first contijuing comic character, though his exploits seemed to appear in single panels telling a sequential story. Don't know if his tales were ever compiled in a book. But I know these pieces appeared prior to 1842

Dr.jpg

Rowlandson's Doctor Syntax is reputed to be one of the earliest continuing characters created in this art form, not in true sequential story telling which would put him in a comic book context

Since Dr Syntax is not a sequential comic book concept per se, we chose to leave him out

Plus he is British, as is Alley Sloper some decades later

Bob,

How many copies of Detective Dan have been uncovered?

Bill, I think Bob may be out of town, or at least off the Boards for a little while.

It is 9:30 AM Central Time Tuesday morn, i am now signing off from all my email - headed to Big Apple National then MidOhio - check out my booths at both, lots of cool old comic books, discounts for all,

and one thing i wish to leave ya'll with is I know Arnold Blumberg a lot better than i know Bill Ponseti.

When Arnold was main editor of OPG, he and i worked closely on the intro and then expansion of the comics history articles plus the Platinum, then Victorian offshoot, price indexes in OPG for a decade before he headed off to help curate Steve's museum down at Camden Yards.

Many many phone conversations & email exchanges over that decade as we figured out how to cram 50 pounds of info into a 10 pound bag.

He taught me ledding concepts in the layouts, for that and other aspects i am indebted to him

Bill, on the other hand, i mainly know from scattered conversations at a few shows

There was a Conspiracy which i will relate here now - - - don't tell Steve Geppi...................

There has been an off & on clamor over the years to inject the underground comix into OPG. A few years back Arnold and i figured out a way to sneak in the covers to the Pymell ZAP #1, Shelton's self-published Feds N Heads and Rick Griffin's Tales From the Tube into the Modern Comics history article.

It is a shame that Crumb, Shelton, Griffin, Corben, Holmes, Bode, etc etc are not treated as "real" comic book creators in OPG. Each year i have raised the prices in the description on those three pictured UGs reflecting the market

What other Conspiracy could some one have been referring to?

See you in two weeks

If it we’re not for super heroes there would be very little if any comic books today. The medium would not have lasted with OO and the like alone. On the other hand would there have ever even been the medium with out the likes of OO? And without the medium would there have ever been super heroes?

That is the question. Is it not?

ever since the comicon people decided i have seniority there and placed me right up at the B door entrance to the Gold/silver Pavilion - and the swirling crush of people, the accompanying pilfering potentials, much less sales volumes from a key spot
27_laughing.gif

How can I say this without any sting? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

At family gatherings we always sit our crazy Uncle way in the back of the house for a reason. smirk.gif