• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

There is no one single comic book which contributed the most to the comics industry

For the reading challenged the question AGAIN Bob, this time put your glasses on so you don't misread it yet again...

What SINGLE comic book contributed more to the comics industry/hobby/pop culture THAN Action #1?

I will repeat myself again:

"There is no one single comic book which contributed the most to the comics industry"

Let's see... Webster defines "comic book" as -- "a magazine presenting stories in cartoon style." That would seem to correspond with the common view of what a comic book is (and eliminate the hardcovers you keep talking about). If that definition is good enough for Websters; it's good enough for me.

My Webster's New World, which lives next to my Mac, says: "a paper booklet of extended comic strips"

Seems Webster changes definitions also

I also note my Webster's defines a comic strip thusly: "a series of cartoons, as in a newspaper, usually telling a humorous or adventure story"

others (not me) here have defined comic strip differently as in must have word balloons among other features

so, Webster's is infallible ?

Let's see... "booklet" ... Websters says, "a book having few pages and usually no cover." Looks to me like both my Websters and your Websters put your thesis on tenuous ground.

There is no one single comic book which contributed the most to the comics industry

For the reading challenged the question AGAIN Bob, this time put your glasses on so you don't misread it yet again...

What SINGLE comic book contributed more to the comics industry/hobby/pop culture THAN Action #1?

"There is no one single comic book which contributed the most to the comics industry"

Reminds me of that old George Carlin joke... "Somewhere on this planet is the world's worst doctor... has to be, someone has to be the worst. And the funny thing is he has patients."

You are being a complete A**hole Bob.

That is not what I asked you and you know it. The reason you can't answer, is because the answer is no comic book contributed more than Action #1.

Your credibility is getting shot down by the second.

All those DC archives? hard cover comic books

All those Peanuts books issued since the 1950s, they be comic books to me and many others

The Garfield comic books which began in 1978 are comic books - and they sold millions of them

look, i am pretty sure snoppy, charlie brown...heck the whole gang would even admit that sups is the man.

- no, what my book will require will be a lot of money as scoped out by David Scroggy of Dark Horse, akin to the money their book BETWEEN THE PANELS required to print

Bob,

I didn't understand your earlier comment about it taking $500,000 to publish your book and I don't quite understand this comment either. Between the Panels is described as "lavish" and has 670 illustrations and photos, etc. Why does a book about the business of comics require anything of the sort? Book publishing is pretty easy these days--that's why there are what, 80,000 new books published a year? If Mark Evanier can have a softcover book of his old CBG columns, we can certainly see Comic Book Store Wars in the same format. Men of Tomorrow is a $15 book and why wouldn't your book be the same?

Put another way, there's a bigger audience who might want to read fun commentary about the comics themselves under Between the Panels headings like "Death with Indignity" than want to read about the business side. Between the Panels is general interest, really.

Or really boiling my point down: the ones who would read your book already know Little Lulu and Carl Barks so they don't need Lulu and Duck illustrations for the chapter talking about how Dell dominated the industry in the 1950s!

Marc

are you drunk - again?

i answered your question - more than once

you just do not like the answer as you play "gotcha", or think you are

I state what i state because some on this thread state Obadiah Oldbuck from 1842 is not a comic book - some going so far as to state it might qualify as a comic magazine

Haven't you figured that out yet?

Yet back in the day when Famous Funnies and/or Action #1 were new, those very same people called them comics magazines

- and even the Comics Code is titled Comics Magazine Association of America

- it is not Comic Book Association of America, so the Comics Code doesn't think much of Webster's definitions, and neither do i

I read the absurd from people here that the comic strips from the 1800s are not comic strips, that comic books from then are not comic books, that Platinum era comic books are not comic books, that we must define a comic book as that floppy folded over stapled pamphlet, which i, and a lot of other collectors think otherwise

so you get the same back at you - and who ever else

define "book" and "magazine"

are you drunk - again?

i answered your question - more than once

you just do not like the answer as you play "gotcha", or think you are

I state what i state because some on this thread state Obadiah Oldbuck from 1842 is not a comic book - some going so far as to state it might qualify as a comic magazine

Haven't you figured that out yet?

Yet back in the day when Famous Funnies and/or Action #1 were new, those very same people called them comics magazines

- and even the Comics Code is titled Comics Magazine Association of America

- it is not Comic Book Association of America, so the Comics Code doesn't think much of Webster's definitions, and neither do i

I read the absurd from people here that the comic strips from the 1800s are not comic strips, that comic books from then are not comic books, that Platinum era comic books are not comic books, that we must define a comic book as that floppy folded over stapled pamphlet, which i, and a lot of other collectors think otherwise

so you get the same back at you - and who ever else

define "book" and "magazine"

Nope, sober. Are you stoned..again?

You have yet to answer the question as it was asked. I didn't ask you what was the most important comic book ever.

I asked you which comic book contributed MORE to the industry/hobby/pop culture than Action #1

- no, what my book will require will be a lot of money as scoped out by David Scroggy of Dark Horse, akin to the money their book BETWEEN THE PANELS required to print

Bob,

I didn't understand your earlier comment about it taking $500,000 to publish your book and I don't quite understand this comment either. Between the Panels is described as "lavish" and has 670 illustrations and photos, etc. Why does a book about the business of comics require anything of the sort? Book publishing is pretty easy these days--that's why there are what, 80,000 new books published a year? If Mark Evanier can have a softcover book of his old CBG columns, we can certainly see Comic Book Store Wars in the same format. Men of Tomorrow is a $15 book and why wouldn't your book be the same?

Put another way, there's a bigger audience who might want to read fun commentary about the comics themselves under Between the Panels headings like "Death with Indignity" than want to read about the business side. Between the Panels is general interest, really.

Or really boiling my point down: the ones who would read your book already know Little Lulu and Carl Barks so they don't need Lulu and Duck illustrations for the chapter talking about how Dell dominated the industry in the 1950s!

Marc

Hi Marc

easy to answer

Men of Tomorrow and Evanier's books are text only

Mine will have a ton of visual aid, much of it in color, and i guess people have no idea what i have here in the way of research,

My book is not confined to the Famous Funnies model of what some think is the only valid format venue for comics delivery to customers

You have yet to answer the question as it was asked. I didn't ask you what was the most important comic book ever.

I asked you which comic book contributed MORE to the industry/hobby/pop culture than Action #1

I answered your query

you just do not like the answer

Bob,

I didn't understand your earlier comment about it taking $500,000 to publish your book and I don't quite understand this comment either. Between the Panels is described as "lavish" and has 670 illustrations and photos, etc. ...............Put another way, there's a bigger audience who might want to read fun commentary about the comics themselves under Between the Panels headings like "Death with Indignity" than want to read about the business side. Between the Panels is general interest, really.

Marc

Let me put it another way: I picked Between the Panels solely from a format stand point, but my book is going not be like BTP

I have a lot of stuff going into this book, and not just something about who dominated what portion of the comics industry

but first we must define "book" and "magazine" before i seem to know what i am talking about

I answered your query

I had no idea you were that much of a lamebrain.

Now it is perfectly clear you are operating on less than the necessary amount of brain cells to create rational cognitive thoughts...

I answered your query

I had no idea you were that much of a lamebrain.

Now it is perfectly clear you are operating on less than the necessary amount of brain cells to create rational cognitive thoughts...

Cioroc, Bob will not give you a straight answer on this, ever. He's done all this "research" on books that aren't Action #1, dating back to pamphlet days of Oldbadiah Oldbuck. Of course he's going to say how many other books sold more copies than Action #1 (which in NO WAY disproves Action #1's legendary importance). Read between the lines - wait for Bob's book, and find out then what his opinions are. But they are just that - opinions. So far I've heard Bob deflect the argument by saying "Bringing up Father sold more copies that Action #1" and "Marvel Mystery #1 used to be #1 in the guide".

Bob's like the guy who says "George Washington NEVER chopped down a cherry tree" even though probably 95 out of a 100 people would say they grew up hearing that. It's something that cannot be proven or disproven, just like what exactly is the very first comic printed in the United States. OO is the earliest comic pamphlet du jour.

Now let's support Bob and get his book when it comes out. It'll be a great fictional work!

looks like Bob had a big night on the Boards! Here are a few pics of the guy you are roasting, for those of you who have never met the man of the hour......(can't have a good roast without pictures)

1468105-bohm.jpg

1468105-bohm2.jpg

(it helps to visualize things..makes them more real!)

1468105-bohm2.jpg.11d88a79702382471e04a4ef08e3dd0e.jpg