• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

you should rethink your color extravaganza plans for the book.

That exponentially increases the cost.

Think instead of a color section.

Way more economical.

jest thinking...

After your Great NoCal Flood of '86

you had one million comics destroyed...

if one can jam 250 comics in a long box...

you had 4000 long boxes on the floor that got washed away ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

hello all...

there is an ebay auction for the first OO...

http://cgi.ebay.com/WORLDS-FIRST-COMIC-B...1QQcmdZViewItem

rick

Thanks for pointing this out Rick.....this is a UK printing, worth roughly $500-$900. That makes the sellers opening bid of $7,500 not much of a bargain,,,,,,, 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

And you wouldn't pay even $ 1 for it, correct?

you should rethink your color extravaganza plans for the book.

That exponentially increases the cost.

Think instead of a color section.

Way more economical.

I have to agree. The book should not be held up by cost. Although Bob, I guess you are saying it's more "general interest" than we realized.

Btw, that picture reminds me that you have some of the best box signage in the business. thumbsup2.gif

Marc

P.S.--so much more economical to put up tons of scans on a website that goes hand in hand with the book, while having a taste of it actually reproduced in the book.

to think and plan only for a one-dimensional presentation

in book form is very old school 20th Century...

Bob, you should really try and expand this publication

so that it takes the form of a living and growing

entity in cyberspace as well as in old fashion print.

One could subscribe to chapters as they come out...download them

and compile them electronically.

Then you would be able to accumulate dollars along the way

and, if people are really interested, they could underwrite the

hardcover publication.

Time to think outside the box....

this ain't OO times, you know!

In addition, please stop making references to all of your bad luck in the past.

(1) Well, was doing a lot of comicons, to provided a much needed revenue stream to conduct the research, and due to a van i was riding in in 1973 with Bud Plant, Terry Stroud and Swan getting totalled, body damaged, immortalized in BETWEEN THE PANELS (Dark Horse) arthritis catching up the last few years due to the car accident trauma of youth back in 1973 following Houstoncon there, on way to Dallascon the following weekend before Seuling's NYC comicon extravaganza the following week end

(2) I was in the middle of pioneering comic book speculation concepts, having some 85,000 John Byrne Xmen comic books, mostly destroyed in a ware house flood in Feb 1986 when a million comic books, half a million baseball cards, 10,000 rock posters, and tons other stuff mostly destroyed, turned into paper mache bricks

(3)…and i went thru the first Fema disaster house call they ever made to all of northern California back in Feb 1986 -

We’ve all had problems…and OVERCOME them.

½ the people don’t care and the other ½ are glad they happened to someone else!

Haven't been on this thread for a while, but I thought I would come back and share something. I picked up a copy of The Funnies Annual #1 (Avon 1959) a while back, because it was Gerber 8 and cheap. It is mostly strip reprints, but it has a couple of text pieces; one is a feature on Opper's Happy Hooligan and the other is a timeline of comics history from 3000 BC to the present (1959). I've got it up ebay right now, but I decided to take some pics of the timeline before it's gone. Pretty cool I thought. Interestingly, Brother Jonathon is mentioned, but not Toepffer or OO.

Apologies if it's difficult to read.

funniesanntimeline01smzk6.jpg

funniesanntimeline02smdz7.jpg

funniesanntimeline03smhu7.jpg

a timeline of comics history from 3000 BC to the present (1959). Interestingly, Brother Jonathon is mentioned, but not Toepffer or OO.

funniesanntimeline01smzk6.jpg

it does not suprise me that Obadiah Oldbuck was not mentioned at all in this 1959 publication ...Bob didn't really need the money until 2005 27_laughing.gif

it does not suprise me that Obadiah Oldbuck was not mentioned at all in this 1959 publication ...Bob didn't really need the money until 2005 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif Nice! But seriously I was surprised since otherwise it's a pretty good list. I know people were aware of Toepffer and his work in the 40's and 50's. No Jeremiah Saddlebags either. This timeline is focused mainly on strips though and OO was a stand alone work and European at that.

One cool thing, I was not familiar with Wilhelm Busch until Bob told me about him after I posted that Frank Leslie Weekly with the Busch strip earlier in the thread. Here it says that Busch's "Max and Maurice" was the basis for the Katzenjammer Kids. Didn't know that.

Bob B.,

Issue this thing on PDFs on the Web.

You don't need a half-million dollar publisher.

You don't need a color printer, even.

Just put the thing up, with full-color, with "reasonable-use" color illos.

Gawd, you're a scholar.

The jury will always side with you.

Very sorry about that hip thing.

Heal soon and fast, and get up on them legs.

Keep thinking and walking.

Thank God it's not brain surgery.

Speaking for the group, we can't wait to read what you've discovered about the medium.

Yes, ACTION COMICS #1 is the most important comic ever published.

It started the GA gold-rush. "I smell money!"

"Check it out. We've got something new here."

Bob, you don't need a half-million dollars to get your word out.

Just a PDF, a website, and PayPal.

Regards,

GT

Be your own middle-man.

Martin Goodman knew that for a while. And got RICH!

Do PDFs Bob, and we will make you..., well, not really rich, but we'll throw cyber-bucks in your direction. And help you sleep a little better tonight. And maybe make the rent this month, if lucky.

PDF.

B.T.W. PDF is a great place to fine-tune. Not in paper yet, so it's not there for all time. Well, hard copy. It's way to fine-tune before the huge public gets to see it.

All of the scholars are behind you, and want you to succeed, and may have some comments.

Write on Bob, right-on.

Just a couple of old Hippies who want to smoke pot kicking it around in the 21st century. Hey Bob, I've got pot. Where are you? I need to kick the old Comic thing around while we poke smot!

XXX

GT

I actually have more important things to do than waste my time conversing with Ponseti who decided to drag this conversation into the gutter again with personal name calling over something he is ignorant about.

- i do serious comics research, i do not believe Action 1 to be the most important comic book ever created, not as long as there are "lame brains" (Ponseti's description) who deny the proof presented to them that Obadiah Oldbuck kick started a comic book industry in America back in 1842, becoming the first comic book in America.

I have a vision for my comics history work to be presented as a book printed on paper, that is just the way it is going to be, cyber can come later.

The Overstreet deadline is looming, I am adding four more pages of "new" listings of periodicals with comic strips in them circa 1850s-1870s to the Victorian Price Index for 2007, as well as having gravitated over to more sane scholarly comics conversations on some of my yahoo lists i am on as well as GCD and the comics scholar list out of Florida, which you recently discovered.

The new research will bring my personal page count in Overstreet to 70 pages for the 2007 Guide - anybody not into what i am uncovering can kiss my lilly white.......

your single-mindedness and inability to be flexible will eventually cause your "research" to be slanted and result in making false conclusions.

You have been entrenched for so long beating the OO drum that you will fail to give an unbiased reporting of the true publication history of comicbooks.

Where will the money come from to print your Opus?

You need to get your head out of the bookstacks and start dealing in the Real World.

Moaning and groaning about The Great Flood , bad hips and tough luck doesn't fly with most of the posters on this list.

The new research will bring my personal page count in Overstreet to 70 pages for the 2007 Guide - anybody not into what i am uncovering can kiss my lilly white.......

Hey, with this attitude you might sell one or two copies of your book.

Just because it is in the Overstreet PG doesn't "Make It True!"

They have their own agenda in including your 'scholarly work'

The ONLY place i have encountered resistance to what Obadiah Oldbuck represents as the beginning of the comic book industry in America is here in CGC-land in these GOLD boards, which is a very small almost inconsequential sampling of the comics world in toto

Greg "koko" T asked where i "went", as i also work for a living buying & selling old comic books. I spent time getting a new 14 page list of recent acquisitions out to my regular customers, i like issuing paper lists as well as working the web,

plus i have been prepping for NYC Big Apple and MidOhio comicons which are coming up fast. I have a lot of friends at both shows i always look forward to seeing again.

I work lifting stuff slower than i used to, arthritis setting into one of my hips, that thought may bug you, but is my own reality. I am unable to do all the shows all over the country i had been setting up at as recently as just a year ago. I did the math a while back and easily passed over one thousand comicons since 1967. Those days are gone until the hip gets a metal ball joint in it

I have wasted untold hours answering queries here and other CGC threads reporting proper comics history. My own time is valuable to me.

i took it upon myself to answer my old friend Greg who pointed me into some positive directions in the mid 1990s - and whose own comics history research i greatly admire

The comics research conversations i have elsewhere bear more fruit than most of what has transpired on this thread - and i feel what has been uncovered to date as presented in the Overstreet pages i compile to be accurate with only minor fine tuning being needed

Every one is the world is welcome to speculate on what ever "agenda" is meant from Gemstone regarding the comics history as presented in the Overstreet PG. I lose zero sleep over how others define what they think or would like to be a "comic book" -

The far-sighted vision of John Snyder at Gemstone enabled the Platinum, then Victorian, sections to birth, breathe, and grow. I came aboard at his invitation in 1996 following some long conversations we used to have about proper comics history.

For many years fellow poster here Arnold Blumberg provided much needed layout advice and editing until i learned how to do it myself. Now he is helping run Geppi's Entertainment Museum.

It was heartening to hear personally from both John Snyder as well as Steve Geppi at the Grand Opening in Sept that i provided much inspiration towards the vision of their museum in Baltimore

The decade i have been expanding this research has been an eye opener to me and many others - i had no idea where the history would take me when i embarked on this quest as it has been uncovered, but i am very satisfied with the story as told to date, a story which has much more depth, hampered by an acute lack of space to more fully develop it

How my book comes about is my business, much less when it appears.

And to answer partially one of your inquiries some posts back, Best of Two Worlds final warehouse was 5000 square feet with shelving which went 20 feet up. Once i figured it had 30,000 board feet of shelving - once upon i time i controlled a million comic books, not so far fetched when one figures Chuck R's company has something like ten million comic books at Mile High - a long time ago in that galaxy far far away. Go pick on some Katrina victims

The ONLY place i have encountered resistance to what Obadiah Oldbuck represents as the beginning of the comic book industry in America is here in CGC-land in these GOLD boards, which is a very small almost inconsequential sampling of the comics world in toto

Glad to hear that the Gold Board members are inconsequential.

The lock-stepping glazed-eyed zombies on other forums must have it right, eh? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I have wasted untold hours answering queries here and other CGC threads reporting proper comics history.

Soooo...when questions are asked, you take affront?

Proper Comics History...according to your vision.

The far-sighted vision of John Snyder at Gemstone enabled the Platinum, then Victorian, sections to birth, breathe, and grow. I came aboard at his invitation in 1996 following some long conversations we used to have about proper comics history.

Again with the proper comics history, Mr. Goebbels...er...Beerbohm. hail.gif

Mr. Snyder's far sighted vision can be attributed to his continuing attempts to bring new money into the hobby so that the unrealistic prices can be propped up by new unknowledgable collectors who get awestruck by a museum and slabbed books.

And to answer partially one of your inquiries some posts back,

Best of Two Worlds final warehouse was 5000 square feet with shelving which went 20 feet up.

Must have been a flood of Biblical proportions to have reached the top tiers! 893whatthe.gif

Huh. That's weird. I always thought the CGC Board had some of the sharpest members in comicdom. Problem is, they think for themselves, eh? Plus, I would think the amount of comic collectors that care about Victorian/Platinum/OO books to be the "very small almost inconsequential sampling of the comics world in toto", not your other way around. Please post some links to the "very huge, consequential" sampling of the comics world that agree with you and OO. Are you posting on the Wizard Boards, telling teenagers this garbage, making them believe it?

And if this "is a very small almost inconsequential sampling of the comics world", why do you keep coming back?

"The new research will bring my personal page count in Overstreet to 70 pages for the 2007 Guide"

Yeah, it's stuff like this, the BLB Price Guide inclusion, and the long, self-promoting Dealer Reports that influenced my decision to not buy Overstreet anymore. What a waste of space to have this stuff in the OPG every year...

The number of people who have posted here in a negative fashion is a very very small sampling of the comics world - thanks for insinuating a concept i did not write - i did not place all Gold listers in the same pile re what you wrote

what ever you want to say about John Snyder, go ahead, it be a free world,

The conversations i have with John S have nothing to do with pricing, rather focus on historical contexts. Again,

have you been to the Geppi Museum yet? There is nary a price sticker on any thing there

The flooding came down thru the roof, yes, wiping out stuff on top all the way down to teh floor which built up about 3 feet of water in the place

yes, indeed, the number of Vict/Plat collectors is very small compared to the total number of comics collectors out there - and vastly larger than the number of people who have posted on this thread

Still does not alter the concept the comic strip book industry began in America in 1842

i think i read part of Wizard #1 when it was new

Life just is not complete without your half baked, even less thought out, responses

A couple "links" appear in my sig on most of my posts here - if you bothered to read

A couple "links" appear in my sig on most of my posts here - if you bothered to read

That's it? That's all you have? A link to the GCD home page and one private Yahoo group? Man, they way you spout off, I thought you'd have more cheerleaders than that. Must be your sparkling personality.

With this quote, I think you are full of 1481146-happens.jpg: "The ONLY place i have encountered resistance to what Obadiah Oldbuck represents as the beginning of the comic book industry in America is here in CGC-land in these GOLD boards"

If you can somehow show me that I am wrong, I will STFU. Until then, there's no way that the people on this Board are the only ones that offer OO resistance. In fact, on the Ebay Boards I saw one thread that was laughing at the OO concept too. I'll see if I can find the link, but they delete inactive threads much quicker.

1481146-happens.jpg.21996909590a7e08c261877ac07b118e.jpg