• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

The Plat list i started in Dec 1999 now at yahogroups.com has over 400 members in over 30 countries, and over 16,000 comics research posts there stored in the archive, fully searchable

- go read that pile of comics research and get back with me

GCD?

go ahead and put them down as well - more comics savy there person for person than the what one finds here, sad to say - let's see if any GCD members are reading the CGC boards, much less this thread

like i wrote, life is not complete without your cheerful input

and the negative posters here is just a small pimple on the rear end of comics fandom, size wise

I actually have more important things to do than waste my time conversing with Ponseti who decided to drag this conversation into the gutter again with personal name calling over something he is ignorant about.

- i do serious comics research, i do not believe Action 1 to be the most important comic book ever created, not as long as there are "lame brains" (Ponseti's description) who deny the proof presented to them that Obadiah Oldbuck kick started a comic book industry in America back in 1842, becoming the first comic book in America.

I have a vision for my comics history work to be presented as a book printed on paper, that is just the way it is going to be, cyber can come later.

The Overstreet deadline is looming, I am adding four more pages of "new" listings of periodicals with comic strips in them circa 1850s-1870s to the Victorian Price Index for 2007, as well as having gravitated over to more sane scholarly comics conversations on some of my yahoo lists i am on as well as GCD and the comics scholar list out of Florida, which you recently discovered.

The new research will bring my personal page count in Overstreet to 70 pages for the 2007 Guide - anybody not into what i am uncovering can kiss my lilly white.......

You're right Bobby, you do have more important things to do than to answer one simple question the way it was asked.

How silly of me to think that someone as "scholarly" as you would stoop to such a low level as to answer a straightforward question about comics history in a straightforward way.

Clearly you are incapable of doing this, so you are right no point in continuing the debate.

Take heart though old friend, we were voted most entertaining thread/argument this month! Nice to win something now and then isn't it? Since you haven't won an argument in such a very long time.

I've never said OO wasn't the first comic book or that it was, the jury is still out on that one.

All I ever wanted to know from the wise old owl Bob Beerbohm, that if Action #1 wasn't the most important comic book in comics history......what was?

Bobby says there wasn't a single comic book that was most important. (BS), but ok, if that is true then there must be MANY examples of books more important than Action #1, I would just like to know the name of ONE of those many. That's all. Name the book or books if you prefer, and tell me why it is more important.

Simple

There is no single "most important" comic book, doesn't mean in the slightest that any other book is "more" important, i answered your asinine question, you chose not to accept the answer, nor did you look at the clues in my "National Treasure" framed response

go back and re-read it

just as Action #1 did not begin a so-called "Golden" Age

nor did Showcase 4 begin a "Silver" Age

There are no smoking guns in the comics evolution time line

except one

Obadiah Oldbuck is the first comic book printed in America

Is it the most important?

nope

merely the first

The comic book industry would have done just fine over the decades with out super heroes

There is no single "most important" comic book, doesn't mean in the slightest that any other book is "more" important, i answered your asinine question, you chose not to accept the answer, nor did you look at the clues in my "National Treasure" framed response

go back and re-read it

just as Action #1 did not begin a so-called "Golden" Age

nor did Showcase 4 begin a "Silver" Age

There are no smoking guns in the comics evolution time line

except one

Obadiah Oldbuck is the first comic book printed in America

Is it the most important?

nope

merely the first

The comic book industry would have done just fine over the decades with out super heroes

Did you take Greg up on his offer to get blitzed today?

National Treasure? It would take Ben Gates to decipher most of the things you write. So forgive me if I don't see your clever clues in any of your recent attempts to deflect the truth.

Ok, so spill it.

Action #1 is the most important comic magazine ever?

"The comic book industry would have done just fine over the decades without super heroes"

The comic book industry HAS done just fine over the decades with out OO

I think you've taken a few too many hits off that smoking gun today!

foreheadslap.gif

..and tell me again why the Tim Charles Nelson/ Bill O'Reilly Collection was/is important?

confused-smiley-013.gif

I am so glad the comics history of America is in such capable hands as the few posters responding so far - write your own books, you guys have all the answers

i do not get stoned, nor do i drink, but i sure do have fun with comics ignorant people

see ya'll in Overstreet in 2007

I am so glad the comics history of America is in such capable hands as the few posters responding so far - write your own books, you guys have all the answers

i do not get stoned, nor do i drink, but i sure do have fun with comics ignorant people

see ya'll in Overstreet in 2007

thanks, but I will leave the book writing to you. I am content to collect comics and enjoy them.

glad to see you have given up weed, good move.

Now Bob, I never called you an A**Hole, as some have attributed to me, I merely said you were acting like an A**Hole by evading the central issue at hand, and the title of this thread.

My question was not asinine in the least, it was the reason this thread was started, and not by me, I might add.

I am simply here to play "BS Police" if you will when it comes to comics history. (On this thread only, I hasten to add)

But, in all fairness you have stated your case and you believe

1. that all comic books are equally important to the history and evolution of comics and the associated pop culture (I strenuously disagree)

2. OO was the first comic book (I have no opinion on that as of yet)

3. Anything with comic related material, regardless of how it is presented and in what format, is a comic book (again, I disagree)

4. Action Comics #1 is not the most important comic ever published (difficult to grasp the concept of taking a position contrary to this one)

5. There was no "Golden Age" or "Silver Age" of comics (find one other person alive who agrees with you on that one)

So, there it is. You have your beliefs, I have mine. Good luck with the "book", and with your never ending quest for truth, justice and the history of comics in America. I'm sure you will continue to uncover all sorts of interesting and amazing things.....

I actually have more important things to do than waste my time conversing with Ponseti who decided to drag this conversation into the gutter again with personal name calling over something he is ignorant about.

- i do serious comics research, i do not believe Action 1 to be the most important comic book ever created, not as long as there are "lame brains" (Ponseti's description) who deny the proof presented to them that Obadiah Oldbuck kick started a comic book industry in America back in 1842, becoming the first comic book in America.

I have a vision for my comics history work to be presented as a book printed on paper, that is just the way it is going to be, cyber can come later.

The Overstreet deadline is looming, I am adding four more pages of "new" listings of periodicals with comic strips in them circa 1850s-1870s to the Victorian Price Index for 2007, as well as having gravitated over to more sane scholarly comics conversations on some of my yahoo lists i am on as well as GCD and the comics scholar list out of Florida, which you recently discovered.

The new research will bring my personal page count in Overstreet to 70 pages for the 2007 Guide - anybody not into what i am uncovering can kiss my lilly white.......

Hey Bob, when am I going to get my copy of OO in the mail? hi.gif

You can have mine if you want.

Thanks, but I already bought a copy. I'm just waiting for it to get here.

FFB,

don't waste your money on the reprint when you can have the real thing! If you PM me, maybe we can strike a deal for you to own an ORIGINAL 1st printing? I would accept time payments, or if you have a house with equity I'm sure we can work something out gossip.gif

You don't want your collection to be too one dimensional and focused on just men in tights that wear a cape, do you? 27_laughing.gif

FFB,

don't waste your money on the reprint when you can have the real thing! If you PM me, maybe we can strike a deal for you to own an ORIGINAL 1st printing? I would accept time payments, or if you have a house with equity I'm sure we can work something out gossip.gif

You don't want your collection to be too one dimensional and focused on just men in tights that wear a cape, do you? 27_laughing.gif

For what it would cost for one of your copies, I'd prefer to own the Church copy of Detective Comics #5. No men in tights in that one either, and a lot more fun to own. cloud9.gif

But, in all fairness you have stated your case and you believe

1. that all comic books are equally important to the history and evolution of comics and the associated pop culture (I strenuously disagree)

2. OO was the first comic book (I have no opinion on that as of yet)

3. Anything with comic related material, regardless of how it is presented and in what format, is a comic book (again, I disagree)

4. Action Comics #1 is not the most important comic ever published (difficult to grasp the concept of taking a position contrary to this one)

5. There was no "Golden Age" or "Silver Age" of comics (find one other person alive who agrees with you on that one)

In all fairness, you have a world view all screwed up, but so what else is new

1) no, never said that - so disagree with yourself and do not include me in those fantasies, please. This is about the dumbest thing you have written to date

2) yes, in America, but also no, not in the world. Please, if you attempt a coherent conversation about comics & comic books, define the parameters of the equation of your conversation - pretty please.

3) no, never said that, again, you disagree with your own self once again. This is a tie for the dumbest thing you have written to date

4) yes, there is no one "most important" comic book

- one has to look at generations and each generation has its own unique super stars. A simple study of history will inform you of such concepts -

each generation, when exposed to the material of their childhood, tends to equate same as the "most important" to the detriment of previous material which in its own day was wildly popular.

This is especially true of material which became forgotten by succeeding generations. It usually takes 3 generations for stuff to be forgotten.

- and the world reinvents the wheel over & over that way. Much the same reasoning goes into fighting certain wars over & over. Go ask Bush Jr why he did not listen to his daddy re Iraq.

5) there was a First Heroic Age and a Second Heroic Age of Super Hero Comic Books.

The true "Golden Age of Comics" occurred before and thru World War One when American comics solidified into the medium we come to recognize as modern comic strips, and most all the important ones were collected into comic books such Yellow Kid, Buster Brown, Little Nemo, Katzenjammer Kids, Happy Hooligan, Little Jimmy, Mutt & Jeff, Krazy Kat, Bringing Up Father, Polly & Her Pals, Barney Google, Gasoline Alley, Felix the Cat and so many others.

In the time span before COMIC MONTHLY began from EmBee

One could make a case for a Second Golden Age of Comics beginning in 1928 thru mid 30s with the likes of Mickey Mouse, Skippy, Tarzan, Popeye, Buck Rogers, Tailspin Tommy, Tracy, Flash Gordon, Jungle Jim, Secret Agent X-9, Alley Oop, Terry & the Pirates, Prince Valiant, etc all starting up.

- you know, the super cool comics creators whom the comics magazines creators were swiping from in order to look semi-decent such as Raymond's Flash Gordon swinging on the cover of Detective 27, doctored up to look something Bob Kane called Batman, co-created with his "buddy" Bill Finger.

The super hero (blip) intro you refer to as a "Golden Age" lasted mid 1938 thru the end of World War Two - gimme 6 maybe 7 years there. Actually one could lop off a year and make it mid 1939 as no one knew Superman was anything hot to trot for almost a year. Just track the covers

Then it went away, struggling to be seen amidst the avalanche of all the other genres which cranked up before making a come back with any kind of strength by 1960 or so

Rock on with your comics fantasies there, young grass hoppa, you will one day get there

I understand what Bob is getting at with his view of comic history. My grandfather would tell me how great the silent film era was. It was huge. Thousands and thousands of people would fill the streets crying when a beloved film star would pass away. So much raw creativity and invention went into the pioneering of film. Yet it's hard for me to fit it into my film frame of reference. The movies I first watched were from the late thirties and 40's. The motion picture golden age to me. I just happen to think that in comics the period between 1938 and 1946 were filled with an explosion of creativity and passion that were being supercharged by the times. True World War I had it's own enormous effects on our world and popular culture but I don't feel that effect like I do with the Golden Age of the mid twentieth century. But I can see how a historian would have a much broader, big picture view.Just my ten cents worth. Please stop fighting....it scaring me....

Why is it that comics world history should only be seen as Beerbohm says it should be seen?

Until he publishes his ENTIRE analysis and proof..it is all conjecture and theory... IMO.

Having a small portion of his Opus Magnus published in the Price Guide isn't the same thing

as coming down from the Mount with the Tablets....but methinks Bob thinks so....

Why is it that comics world history should only be seen as Beerbohm says it should be seen?

Until he publishes his ENTIRE analysis and proof..it is all conjecture and theory... IMO.

Having a small portion of his Opus Magnus published in the Price Guide isn't the same thing

as coming down from the Mount with the Tablets....but methinks Bob thinks so....

Yeah...... hey, let's pants him at the next convention! stooges.gif