• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

A complete 1842 copy of OO (brown cover) sold for $3,511 on eBay in 2002.

that is correct, and Bob and I were not the buyer or the seller of that copy. Let's see. that means in 2002 an Oldbuck sold for $3,511, and in 2006 2 copies sold for $20,000. Sounds to me like I'm onto something smile.gif

Bankruptcy? screwy.gif

I would think that Lamont Larson and Edgar Church had a few people way back when question their accumulation of "worthless" comics that will bankrupt them if they spend too much.......worked out OK for those 2. What I am doing is off the beaten path...that is often were hidden opportunitues are found

I would think that Lamont Larson and Edgar Church had a few people way back when question their accumulation of "worthless" comics that will bankrupt them if they spend too much.......worked out OK for those 2.

Could be the most ignorant statement yet. You really need to get out more. foreheadslap.gif

I would think that Lamont Larson and Edgar Church had a few people way back when question their accumulation of "worthless" comics that will bankrupt them if they spend too much.......worked out OK for those 2. What I am doing is off the beaten path...that is often were hidden opportunitues are found

I see you put as much thought into that statement as you did with your OO purchases.

Lamont Larson and Edgar Church were both buying new books at cover price, they didn't blow large sums of cash for something someone else claimed was valuable. And neither man made any profit from their collections... Larson made less than $100 for his 1,000 books in 1971 and Edgar Church died before knowing that the pile of magazines he collected for "art instruction" was even valuable (and his heirs just wanted to get rid of the "junk" when they cleaned out his house).

This quote is from much earlier in the thread:

original art has unlimited potential, and is a facinating segment of the comic world. Each piece is a one of a kind, and the demand is obviously high and growing. Original comic art --- the sky is the limit...but it's no Obadiah Oldbuck !

That's clearly KK talking. Given that showcase later says that the Overstreet guide is invaluable and people would be lost without it, how does he expect the OA market to function?

This guy is referencing his Victorian Age website, but has anyone e-mailed the owner of that website to find out whether he's posting on the CGC boards? Given the retardedness of showcase's last few comments, I'm pretty sure he's just arguing for the hell of it, to pull people's chains. Who wants to bet me the price of their Chicago Forum Dinner that he's not yet another KK shill?

original art has unlimited potential, and is a facinating segment of the comic world. Each piece is a one of a kind, and the demand is obviously high and growing. Original comic art --- the sky is the limit...but it's no Obadiah Oldbuck !

That's clearly KK talking. Given that showcase later says that the Overstreet guide is invaluable and people would be lost without it, how does he expect the OA market to function?

This guy is referencing his Victorian Age website, but has anyone e-mailed the owner of that website to find out whether he's posting on the CGC boards? Given the retardedness of showcase's last few comments, I'm pretty sure he's just arguing for the hell of it, to pull people's chains. Who wants to bet me the price of their Chicago Forum Dinner that he's not yet another KK shill?

guess you are treating for dinner....I am not KK....don't even know who that is. I can tell you that it is difficult to have any type of intelligent debate or conversation on the Boards, as you don't know who is on the other end typing.....could be an 18 year old kid with a single Spidey #344, or one of the countries top golden age collectors, with 25 years experience. all Showcase-4 comments within this thread, were from....Showcase-4

I'm pretty sure he's just arguing for the hell of it, to pull people's chains.

PS....I have better things to do with my time then pull peoples chains

the oldest coins are the most valuable. The oldest stamps are the most valuable. the oldest baseball cards are the most valuable.

The time is coming soon when the oldest comic books will also be the most valuable...it is inevitable. All undervalued markets correct themselves at some point. Obadiah Oldbuck will surface as the Declaration of Independance of the US comic marketplace

Incorrect on all counts, showcaseMc-genius. What a laugh!

the oldest coins are the most valuable. The oldest stamps are the most valuable. the oldest baseball cards are the most valuable.

The time is coming soon when the oldest comic books will also be the most valuable...it is inevitable. All undervalued markets correct themselves at some point. Obadiah Oldbuck will surface as the Declaration of Independance of the US comic marketplace

Incorrect on all counts, showcaseMc-genius. What a laugh!

Time will tell my friend....I am looking forward to you having to retract this stamement. By the way, ShowcaseMc-genius is not insulting to me...just makes me hungry 893applaud-thumb.gif

I couldn't possibly retract it, as your statement is now, and always will be, incorrect from the outset:

"the oldest coins are the most valuable. The oldest stamps are the most valuable. the oldest baseball cards are the most valuable."

- is patently, absolutely, undeniably, irrevocably, FALSE.

I tried and got no response. confused-smiley-013.gif

This whole thread is patently ridiculous.

We should start a whole new thread about how pulps will someday achieve higher dollar values than the most sought after comics as they contain early character development and stories. Wait a second, pulps have cool covers.....they at least have a chance as comic collector slowly switch from content to cover only collectors.

If this isn't a shill posting, I love the fact that someone can find an old "paper cartoon book" and flip it for 20K large (marked down from 30K). I'd love to hear what Robert actually paid for the books that he then sold. Profit Margin Heaven. Collecting is especially fun when you can make a large sum of money on a book that you hardly value yourself. Of course Robert B. appears to love these things (comic origins and history), so prying any of them from his hands appears to take serious $$.

We should start a whole new thread about how pulps will someday achieve higher dollar values than the most sought after comics as they contain early character development and stories. Wait a second, pulps have cool covers.....they at least have a chance as comic collector slowly switch from content to cover only collectors.

If this isn't a shill posting, I love the fact that someone can find an old "paper cartoon book" and flip it for 20K large (marked down from 30K). I'd love to hear what Robert actually paid for the books that he then sold. Profit Margin Heaven. Collecting is especially fun when you can make a large sum of money on a book that you hardly value yourself. Of course Robert B. appears to love these things (comic origins and history), so prying any of them from his hands appears to take serious $$.

you just can't call it what it is can you.....a "comic book"

If I thought it was a comic book.....under the description of what I consider a comic book.....then I'd have no problem calling it a comic book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've gone into many antique stores and looked at victorian "comics" and never once considered them in the same classification as funny books that kids read. I'm glad you're pleased with your purchases.......I know I'd be looking for the next "potential buyer" if I were you. If you can wait it out, you'll likely find another "P.T. Barnum favorite".

Nope