• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

If I followed only "guide" pricing, Obadiah should have cost me about $1,500. I paid $20,000...

So the guide is correct when it agrees with you that OO is a comic book, but the guide is incorrect when it comes to the price.

When you argue from authority, it's helpful not to knock the credentials of that authority yourself. thumbsup2.gif

27_laughing.gif

stock market- the stockbroker is the "guide"

real estate- the agent is the "guide"

art- you have the galleries, acutioneers and the dealers as the "guide"

Excellent point. Novices do need guides. Luckily for you, there's Overstreet.

Our hobby would not exist as a smooth running machine without The Overstreet Price Guide or a slimilar replacement...no one would know what they had, or if they should even have it, or how to price it, or how to grade it, etc. etc.

You poor guy. Seriously, this is turning from funny to tragic.

How do people know how to buy and sell stocks without a guide telling them what to buy and how to price it? How do people buy and sell homes without a guide telling them what to buy and how to price it? How do people buy and sell artwork without a guide telling them what to buy and how to price it?

Answer: Experts in all three areas are perfectly capable of appraising the value, desirability, and resale potential of the asset class with which they're familiar. Same with comics. I haven't bought a guide in 5 years and I'm perfectly capable of buying, selling, pricing, identifying, grading, etc., etc, and I'm hardly one of the board's senior experts.

In fact, there's nothing an experienced expert who lacks ethics wants to see more than someone like yourself who thinks the guide is an invaluable, infallible bible. He'd have people like yourself bent over so fast they won't know what hit them. Please, before you go dropping 5 figures on another old illustrated book, consult with someone who knows what they're doing (NOT the person selling you the book!) and ask whether you're paying a price that's within 500% of true market value. Because that's generally how far off Overstreet is on the platinum age stuff.

Centaur-Man,

on one hand, you sound smart....and the other...not too bright. If you haven't bought a guide in 5 years, you are driving blind. It is impossible to maximize your industry knowledge without research tools...and Overstreet is one of the best.

as for "no guide" in the following fields, you could not be more wrong:

stock market- the stockbroker is the "guide"

real estate- the agent is the "guide"

art- you have the galleries, acutioneers and the dealers as the "guide"

If I followed only "guide" pricing, Obadiah should have cost me about $1,500. I paid $20,000...gee, I wonder if I came to my own conclusion on value, and ignored the unrealistic "guide" price....I must have a mind of my own! frustrated.gif

PS Bob Beerbohm originally asked $30,000 for the Obadiah Oldbuck I bought from him last year....$20,000 was a negotiated price.

He's also asking $600 for a copy of Picture Parade that I bought off ebay for under $50. He has great stuff, and knows an incredible amount. Definately more than you or I as he was willing to "let it go" for 2/3 of his asking price. poke2.gif

Bob Beerbohm originally asked $30,000 for the Obadiah Oldbuck I bought from him last year....$20,000 was a negotiated price.
I can stop reading this thread now.

Bob Beerbohm originally asked $30,000 for the Obadiah Oldbuck I bought from him last year....$20,000 was a negotiated price.
I can stop reading this thread now.

Ditto. This thread was giving me a headache anyway. What little interest I had in Jebediah Oldham has now been completely quashed from this discussion. Showcase, good luck promoting your collection, investments, website, museum, and Victorian Age books. And mazel tov on your three copies. OUT.

this thread has taken a sad turn with Showcase's latest statements. Now in stead of just disagreeing with his opinion on OO, and its investment future potential, now I actually feel sorry fopr him. Anyone else? I mean I would if he wasnt so belligerent in his defense of hi sindefensible position. Maybe he should pull a Matt Nelson and stop posting while he thinks he's ahead..

Amana, you and CentaurMan seem like pretty smart and knowledgable collectors.

please feel free to email Bob Beerbohm directly to confirm my statement that Obadiah was negotiated "down" to $20,000, and started at $30,000.

Since this was a private sale, direct confirmation from the seller may legitimize this post

Bob's email: Robert@blbcomics.com

Amana, you and CentaurMan seem like pretty smart and knowledgable collectors.

please feel free to email Bob Beerbohm directly to confirm my statement that Obadiah was negotiated "down" to $20,000, and started at $30,000.

Since this was a private sale, direct confirmation from the seller may legitimize this post

Bob's email: Robert@blbcomics.com

I don't think anyone doubts you were able to negotiate the price down.....

It's the starting and ending point that people are questioning.

all I can do is state facts, as I have throught this entire post. If you check my Ebay dealings...also as Showcase-4, you will see I am a 100% feedback Power Seller. This did not come from distorting the truth ...this came from a basis of honesty and integrity...read my feedback from both buyers and sellers.

see, you gotta get out more in this hobby! Read some more sections of the boards... Get the big picture of what goes on.... etc.

We all believe you talked the price down.. The point is whether either the 30 or 20K price has any basis in reality outside your and Beerbaums minds...

believe me, I know the feeling of outpaying the marrket.. But with a 'real' comic we have years of sales and price data to base our hunches on. With OO, there just isnt all that much so you are playing in a market of your own mind. Maybe you will be right. Maybe not. Either way enjoy the books

believe me, I know the feeling of outpaying the marrket.. But with a 'real' comic we have years of sales and price data to base our hunches on. With OO, there just isnt all that much so you are playing in a market of your own mind. Maybe you will be right. Maybe not. Either way enjoy the books

you are quite right indeed...with ultra rare books like Obadiah Oldbuck, there is no historical data to justify any price at all...it all has to be "case by case" and made up as you go. Quite a gut wrenching experience at times ( like when $20,000 of real money is on the line...that's a brand new Toyota! )

IMO It is definately not worth 20K. It's obvious, that his goal is to corner the market on this book, with the belief, that it's going to turn into another Action Comics #1. Even if this book is considered a Comic Book, I have not seen 1 board member state, that he wants a copy, other than the $15 reprint. If their is no demand, how can this book evolve into a highly sought after collectible. confused-smiley-013.gif

Again,

The price is not in question, just the fact that you were willing to pay it.

great point.....but just imagine if it was now 1996 instead of 2006. What if someone told you that in just 10 years from now, there would be a company called CGC ( remember, it's now 1996). and they would act as a 3rd party service provider and assign a condition grade to comic books, and then seal them in a plastic holder. Then imagine a CGC encapsulted NM 9.4 Amazing Fantasy 15 would sell for $100,000+

You would not be able to stop laughing at how ridiculous and absurd that would be....never happen.

OK--fast forward to present day---2006. You read in this years Overstreet Price Guide that 3 copies of Obadiah Oldbuck sold in 2005....a fair for $10,000, and 2 VG's for $20,000 each. Then further realize that all 3 sales were made to the same buyer...showcase-4. You would think this guy just burned $50,000, and his investment is worthless...he lost $50,000. What do you think will be the end result of this $50,000 investment in the year 2016? ( ten years from now )...and remember the above example 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

great point.....but just imagine if it was now 1996 instead of 2006. What if someone told you that in just 10 years from now, there would be a company called CGC ( remember, it's now 1996). and they would act as a 3rd party service provider and assign a condition grade to comic books, and then seal them in a plastic holder. Then imagine a CGC encapsulted NM 9.4 Amazing Fantasy 15 would sell for $100,000+

You would not be able to stop laughing at how ridiculous and absurd that would be....never happen.

OK--fast forward to present day---2006. You read in this years Overstreet Price Guide that 3 copies of Obadiah Oldbuck sold in 2005....a fair for $10,000, and 2 VG's for $20,000 each. Then further realize that all 3 sales were made to the same buyer...showcase-4. You would think this guy just burned $50,000, and his investment is worthless...he lost $50,000. What do you think will be the end result of this $50,000 investment in the year 2016? ( ten years from now )...and remember the above example 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Great point.....but just imagine if it was now 1996 instead of 2006. What if someone told you that in just 10 years from now, we would all be flying around on jet-packs. And beanie-babies, which were selling for insane amounts, would continue to rise in value and be selling for $200,000 each. You would not be able to stop laughing at how ridiculous and absurd that would be....never happen.

OK--fast forward to present day---2006. You read in this years Overstreet Price Guide that 3 copies of Obadiah Oldbuck sold in 2005....a fair for $10,000, and 2 VG's for $20,000 each. Then further realize that all 3 sales were made to the same buyer...showcase-4. You would think this guy just burned $50,000, and his investment is worthless...he lost $50,000. What do you think will be the end result of this $50,000 investment in the year 2016? ( ten years from now )...and remember the above example

sleeping.gif

I think he will be trying to sell the idea that he didnt lose nearly all his money with some other sefl-delusional rationalization! 10 years ago AF15 was a valuable comic book. 20 years ago too. Even 30 years ago it was worth more than anu=y other comic r=that came out the year it was published. You are comparing apples to oranges,.

Today in 2006 there is no OO market of buyers and sellers, just Bob B who bought them for pennies, and YOU who paid thru the nose for them. YOU are the market today. If you held out Bob would still own both copies. Then what would the OO market be?

This makes you the Jay Parrino of the OO market !

please dont ask me "Who's Jay Parrino!?"