• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

I'm done with this thread. I do appreciate your passion, although I question your wisdom.

I'm happy for Bob Beerbohm, a great guy who deserved someone like you in his life.

I can't believe you guys tried to hold a serious conversation with KK for this long!

I'm done with this thread. I do appreciate your passion, although I question your wisdom.

I'm happy for Bob Beerbohm, a great guy who deserved someone like you in his life.

I can't believe you guys tried to hold a serious conversation with KK for this long!

He's not KK, just K. wink.gif

I think he will be trying to sell the idea that he didnt lose nearly all his money with some other sefl-delusional rationalization! 10 years ago AF15 was a valuable comic book. 20 years ago too. Even 30 years ago it was worth more than anu=y other comic r=that came out the year it was published. You are comparing apples to oranges,.

Today in 2006 there is no OO market of buyers and sellers, just Bob B who bought them for pennies, and YOU who paid thru the nose for them. YOU are the market today. If you held out Bob would still own both copies. Then what would the OO market be?

This makes you the Jay Parrino of the OO market !

please dont ask me "Who's Jay Parrino!?"

I know who Jay Parrino is, and the Obadiah Oldbuck market is not just myself and Bob....it's just that the few copies out there ( 8 ish ) keep ending up in Bob's or my hands over the past couple of years...no one else has had a shot at acquiring a copy gossip.gif

A complete 1842 copy of OO (brown cover) sold for $3,511 on eBay in 2002.

that is correct, and Bob and I were not the buyer or the seller of that copy. Let's see. that means in 2002 an Oldbuck sold for $3,511, and in 2006 2 copies sold for $20,000. Sounds to me like I'm onto something smile.gif

that is correct, and Bob and I were not the buyer or the seller of that copy. Let's see. that means in 2002 an Oldbuck sold for $3,511, and in 2006 2 copies sold for $20,000. Sounds to me like I'm onto something smile.gif

Bankruptcy? screwy.gif

Gif:

I was recently reading about the EC Picto-Fiction volumes about to be released (or just released?) -- do you consider those short series to be comic books (or comic magazines)?

Not baiting for an argument here. I find that your system of "drawing the lines" is as rational as any I've seen and these seem like a good test case.

Thanks,

Jack

Ok, so I looked at all the "panels" found here.

And it looks like it is just another illustrated narrative... much like the Bayeux Tapestry. Obadiah Oldbuck is just another piece in a long chain on the history of the illustrated narrative. If the modern definition of "comic book" is expanded to encompass all illustrated narratives then so be it... what I collect, and are commonly refered to as comic books, are comic magazines. OO is no where close to being a comic magazine and in my opinion has more in common with other forms of illustrated narratives, like BLBs, than the material found in something like Action Comics.

Even if this book is considered a Comic Book, I have not seen 1 board member state, that he wants a copy, other than the $15 reprint. If their is no demand, how can this book evolve into a highly sought after collectible. confused-smiley-013.gif

I want a copy. Not the U.S one, but the Finnish version from 1860-something. The first comic book published in Finland. If for sale it would go over 10K€. Only one copy known.

But... two $20,000 sales to the same person doesn't establish a market. You need multiple sales in the $20,000 range to multiple people to establish a market. So far, we have one old $3,511 sale to person X and three sales of $10,000, $20,000, and $20,000 to you. All that says to me is that you're willing to lay out some hefty cash for the book. There's not enough data here to support your argument.

Gif:

I was recently reading about the EC Picto-Fiction volumes about to be released (or just released?) -- do you consider those short series to be comic books (or comic magazines)?

Not baiting for an argument here. I find that your system of "drawing the lines" is as rational as any I've seen and these seem like a good test case.

Thanks,

Jack

Ok, so I looked at all the "panels" found here.

And it looks like it is just another illustrated narrative... much like the Bayeux Tapestry. Obadiah Oldbuck is just another piece in a long chain on the history of the illustrated narrative. If the modern definition of "comic book" is expanded to encompass all illustrated narratives then so be it... what I collect, and are commonly refered to as comic books, are comic magazines. OO is no where close to being a comic magazine and in my opinion has more in common with other forms of illustrated narratives, like BLBs, than the material found in something like Action Comics.

Any links to some example pages?

Earl.

Out of interst how much would people be prepared to pay for a VGD copy of the Brother Jonathan Oldbuck issue, either for your own collection or to flip. If you saw one in old bookstore for example, what would you risk paying?

Me: $1000

Earl.

But... two $20,000 sales to the same person doesn't establish a market. You need multiple sales in the $20,000 range to multiple people to establish a market. So far, we have one old $3,511 sale to person X and three sales of $10,000, $20,000, and $20,000 to you. All that says to me is that you're willing to lay out some hefty cash for the book. There's not enough data here to support your argument.

This is a great point thumbsup2.gif

One of the risks/challenges with buying extremely rare comic books ( even if they are not from this time period ) is the lack of historical sales and pricing data. When I buy a book like this, I have to rely heavily on my gut feeling and intuition.....that's why you have to have a lot of faith ( not religious ) when making purchases like I have on these Obadiah copies....$50,000 is A LOT of money to me, and if I could do it all over again...I would do it all over again....faith !!

Gif:

Thanks,

Jack

No, the EC Picto-Fiction magazines are not comic books, they are Picto-Fiction magazines. smile.gif

pictofiction.jpg

They are heavily illustrated text stories (the following two splash pages were for stories that never got published at the time but can be found in the Cochran set):

mother.jpg

wantedformurder.jpg

There are at least a dozen other magazines in the OPG listed in the comic book section that have nothing more than text material accompanied by illustrations (and sometimes no illustrations!).

Lots of Marvel magazines from the 1970s come to mind including the some of the following titles: Gothic Tales of Love, Film International, Nostalgia Illustrated, Photo News Features, The Sensuous Streaker, Tommy, Complete Guide to the Deadly Arts of Kung Fu and Karate, and The Haunt of Horror (digests, 1973), etc.

Also the Atlas/Seaboard magazines, Gothic Romances and Movie Monsters are also listed in the OPG even though they also contain nothing more than a few sparse illustrations.

OK, thanks.

You're consistent enough that I could swing around to your point of view. All it would take is for Overstreet to change the name of the guide from "The Bible" (as it's called in this thread) to "The Overstreet Price Guide to Comic Books, Comic Magazines, Picto-Fiction Magazines and Illustrated Books".

Jack

Thanks,

Jack

No, the EC Picto-Fiction magazines are not comic books, they are Picto-Fiction magazines. smile.gif

They are heavily illustrated text stories ...

This is a great point thumbsup2.gif

One of the risks/challenges with buying extremely rare comic books ( even if they are not from this time period ) is the lack of historical sales and pricing data. When I buy a book like this, I have to rely heavily on my gut feeling and intuition.....that's why you have to have a lot of faith ( not religious ) when making purchases like I have on these Obadiah copies....$50,000 is A LOT of money to me, and if I could do it all over again...I would do it all over again....faith !!

You'll be the first person I call if I come across a copy of pretty much anything Victorian.....I figure I'd get a good price from you. I do have one 1880's or 1890's "the comics" "comic" that I'd sell......I need to pull it out :-)

Out of interst how much would people be prepared to pay for a VGD copy of the Brother Jonathan Oldbuck issue, either for your own collection or to flip. If you saw one in old bookstore for example, what would you risk paying?

Me: $1000

Earl.

That is one of the greatest, most undervalued comic books in the entire marketplace...I'd pay $20,000

Yeah, it sounds like you're onto having been bamboozled out of about 30 large. 27_laughing.gif