• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your suggestions for a "forum guidelines" post to be stickied at the top.

397 posts in this topic

...wanted to first say that I have been to over 60 games in the swamp since I graduated from Fl in the late 80's (not counting the games I went to while I attended), and I can say that only one other time have I ever heard the noise level as loud as it was yesterday was when we blocked the gw fg attempt was in 97 when we returned a Peyton manning interception for a touchdown right before half time...Go Gators...

Just got back to NC from a long weekend in G-ville - Thursday night saw Hootie and the Blowfish ( confused-smiley-013.gif ) and Sister Hazel ( headbang.gif ), Friday took the nephews/nieces/kids on a nice hike out at San Felasco Hammock, Friday night caught the defending B-ball champs in their season opener and saw the Championship banner ( yay.gif ), and Saturday took my kids to their 1st football game and it was a doozy - had to be one of the top-5 loudest games I've been to, and I've been going since I was 9 years old (1977). There are quite a few Gator fans on the boards actually! thumbsup2.gif

Back on topic..."dealer" or not, it's nice to see Brent posting some sweet books, wish I was around for some of the Hulks!! foreheadslap.gif

...wanted to first say that I have been to over 60 games in the swamp since I graduated from Fl in the late 80's (not counting the games I went to while I attended), and I can say that only one other time have I ever heard the noise level as loud as it was yesterday was when we blocked the gw fg attempt was in 97 when we returned a Peyton manning interception for a touchdown right before half time...Go Gators...

Just got back to NC from a long weekend in G-ville - Thursday night saw Hootie and the Blowfish ( confused-smiley-013.gif ) and Sister Hazel ( headbang.gif ), Friday took the nephews/nieces/kids on a nice hike out at San Felasco Hammock, Friday night caught the defending B-ball champs in their season opener and saw the Championship banner ( yay.gif ), and Saturday took my kids to their 1st football game and it was a doozy - had to be one of the top-5 loudest games I've been to, and I've been going since I was 9 years old (1977). There are quite a few Gator fans on the boards actually! thumbsup2.gif

Back on topic..."dealer" or not, it's nice to see Brent posting some sweet books, wish I was around for some of the Hulks!! foreheadslap.gif

Thanks Doc. I saw Sister Hazel last year in Atlanta. Awesome band! headbang.gif

• Administrator

Here's a compilation of the rule suggestions we've seen in this thread over time. THey're just raw cut and pastes from the original messages. I'm going to comb through these, make some choices, and put up "required" and "suggested" items.

-----------------

Dont bid unless you intend on going through with your transaction.

#1- When you list something for sale in Marketplace it is implied you will ALWAYS follow through on what you state in your auction(s) Never list items you do not already have in your possesion. Never change the deal once the deal is made. Unless the buyer is FULLY aware of any change.'s

#2- ALWAYS list how much shipping will be upfront is possible. Or at least offer different shipping options if you live overseas. Try to estimate how long it will take you to ship the items you are selling.

#3- If problems SHOULD arise it is up to both parties to work out their discrepancies in a civil manner themselves. There is a "Negative Feedback/Dispute" thread at the top of this page to air out any grievance between two parties. Please do not let these type of problems leave the marketplace.Either work them out in that Area, or let them go.

#4- Always remember to communicate with the buyer/seller, let them know what is going on at all times.. Lack of direct communication only helps molehills become mountains.

#5- Never bid on an item you cannot , or do not intend to pay for right away unless you work it out with the seller before placing a bid.

#6- If you have increment "live" bidding type auctions..be clear about the starting and stopping time BEFORE the auction begins. The auction cannot change once the bidding has started.

Lets try and adhere to the policy, "Say what you mean, and mean what you say." While it may only be a gentlemans agreement,it should be enough.

Arch, would you be willing to sticky a Negative Feedback/Dispute Thread at the top of Marketplace so people could have a place to rant about deals gone wrong? Keeping those rants in the Market place while working out their grievance, as well as possibly getting a few other opinions about how to resolve their dispute.

1 - don't bid unless you are going to pay in a timely manner.

2 - unless instructed otherwise by buyer, ship books within a week of processing payment.

3 - be communicative. buyers should inform seller when payment has been made, and seller should inform buyers when books are sent.

4 - buyer and seller should leave feedback, positive or negative, in the kudos thread.

• Please inform which type of payments you accept and which you won't or can't.

I would also suggest that the Airing of Grievances be allowed only on December 23rd, and that any grievances not settled amicably on the forums shall be settled by Feats of Strength between the interested parties. If the griever is able to pin the grievee, their claim shall be upheld. Otherwise, they'll have to wait until the following year to try again!

Sellers should also clearly state their return policy.

Any use of the little guy is a binding contract signed in blood

2. One thread at a time. please!

No one person needs 2-3 selling threads. If you are cleaning up an old thread and moving stuff to the new thread then thats fine.

Plus whatever anybody else said.

I'd like to suggest that posting a competing WTB post on the same day is a no-no.

Start each new thread with "WTB" or "WTS", so you know before you even click the thread wether it's a buying or selling thread.

How about a ruling on all these multiple post artists, who dedicate a separate thread for each individual book?

Now rarely does anything bother me but, I think if you are going to list a book in the marketplace, take the extra minute and put a price alongside your listing.

subject lines that actually reflect the books for sale!

Ettiquite should keep it at most 3 threads and if the moderators make that official I'm fine with it.

Unless its an auction fun thread a price should be posted. Enough with the "taking offers" threads. Put a price on there. Even if its way too high you can still take offers but put a price so people know your level of seriousness.

the seller should set the price they want for the book even if it is outrageous with the condition that they will also accept reasonable offers.

If you talk to someone about books, with them going to the trouble to get you a list/grades/prices and you dont want them...

AT LEAST HAVE THE COMMON COURTESY TO REPLY THAT YOU DONT WANT THEM!

I would suggest that if you get a great-looking book from a fellow forumite at a good price, have the common courtesy to wait at least 24 hours before you try to flip on eBay for a profit.

A much more practical solution would be to include definitive rules for sales posts like requiring the list of books for sale to be included directly in the post (no posts with only pointers to websites like "Click here to see all my books for sale!!"), etc.,.

• "direct sales" to board members, books posted in a thread with BIN prices or highest offer, if you take it, it's yours, no fear of the same book being offered somewhere else at the same time. Dealers, hobbyist, little old ladies selling a stash found next to a lump of butter in the attic..all welcome

But really, you should be able to say "here are some readers, i want xxxx for each but bulk orders I can give a discount on"

Shouldnt be too hard.

I would separate out the WTB section into another forum, leave the ebay sales alone, and allow any registered member to post their sales in the Marketplace so long as they do not have the sales advertised in another spot on the web as you have pointed out.

3) Transactions must take place 100% on the forum, via PM, and not consist of "external transactions" using email, phone or ordering systems.

4) If you start a Forum-Only Selling thread and later move the item(s) to EBay, DO NOT post auction links, as this is in violation of the forum rules.

The basic rule I propose is "Transactions take place entirely on the forums", as in using a in the thread, questions via PM, not having to order through a dealer website after the fact, not send an "email order" to the dealer, not havng to call a dealer, etc.

No bumping allowed until a week after a thread has fallen off of the front page.

A dealer looking to grow volume and a loyal customer base, would do what qualitycomix is doing, running aggressive sales of harder to move books on this board.

He'd generate more sales on other higher priced items to customers who are now comfortable dealing with him and thus willing to pay a premium for that comfort.

If we change the rules we'll see more of that kind of activity here - more dealers willing to offer loss leaders to move inventory.

If dealers are allowed, they will make many more "fishing" posts than collectors.

Because of the volume of books that "dealers" have and because of the "pay the rent" situation they're in they will make more posts, and be more likely to try to maximize profits through both long term (loss leader) and short term (fishing) techniques.

If that happens, the flavor of this board will be diluted from a community feel to just another place to hawk books.

If dealers continue to be disallowed, there will be a higher percentage of "community feel transactions" to "fishing posts".

grin.gif

You're a dealer if you:

1. Have a web site with an ecommerce component, or

2. Have a brick and mortar establishment, or

3. Have more than yourself providing labor to buy and sell your comics, or

4. Have a tax ID associated with your comics business, or (this one is mostly a self-elimination guideline)

. . .

For the most part, we'd expect dealers to self-eliminate. Those that don't would be informed through community response, and moderation would step in where ever a dispute formed.

Arch,

You seem to have missed cutting and pasting your own summation of the points discussed here.

I think that NO guidelines other than "Exclusive CGC Board Sales Offers" will still lead some sellers to spam for less discriminating buyers. It's another advertising outlet, and with no guidelines, it will be used as such.

"Make an offer" posts violate the underlying sense of the community helping each other to reach collecting goals in a low or no profit mode. The "make an offer" approach is clearly not about offering books at rock bottom prices to "friends" that might need them. Instead it's about seeing whether you can maximize your sale price.

In the end, this debate is about encouraging board-exclusive offers that respect the community feel of "making a deal with a friend". HERE are the discussed techniques so far:

1. Eliminate all dealers under the presumption that dealers will TREND towards violating the "buddies trading books" sentiment. Even if there are exceptions, they are too hard to police, so just draw the line in the sand.

2. Allow everyone, but limit it to board-exclusive offers, and the hassle of make board-only offers will keep the spammers at bay.

3. Related suggestion: require dollar values on all sales offerings. This may allow the community to self-police enough to keep spammers at bay better. This may be a good idea regardless of whether we take #1 or #2, but there's some speculation that this requirement may make it feasible to allow dealers.

yea i got an idea......POST SCANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Any books you want to see, just let me know. acclaim.gif

marvel team up 2, 4 and 5 shy.gif

i was kidding gossip.gif

I know. devil.gif

Send my books yet? makepoint.gif