• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your suggestions for a "forum guidelines" post to be stickied at the top.

397 posts in this topic

No. You got it Arch. thumbsup2.gif

Although I could qualify it some, I'm not going to take the tact of Dr. Banner and Foolkiller of restating your conclusions to serve my position. grin.gif

Power to the people! sumo.gif

Although I could qualify it some, I'm not going to take the tact of Dr. Banner and Foolkiller of restating your conclusions to serve my position. grin.gif

Good grief Divad.

I luv ya buddy, but haven't you reached your 50 posts in one thread limit? tongue.gif

poke2.gif

And get an avatar back in place for cryin out loud. sumo.gif

Good grief Divad.

I luv ya buddy, but haven't you reached your 50 posts in one thread limit? tongue.gif

poke2.gif

And get an avatar back in place for cryin out loud. sumo.gif

sorry.giftonofbricks.gif

Arch:

you raise some excellent points and concerns. My only issue is that the forum left the "offering the book to a friend feel" long ago. It is much more of a marketplace first, trading amongst friends second. That being said, the "slippery slope" argument actually works for me...

I think what could be done, and I haven't seen it before, is to allow dealers to post the type of offers Brent did in the dealers' thread. I think they can run a sale there instead of a link to ebay or website sales and make the offer to forum members there. To me, that's just as easy as allowing everybody with no restrictions.

In the end, I would eliminate ALL dealers from the Marketplace Forum, put them all in Ebay/Dealers Forum, BUT allow them to run the same type of Marketplace sales but in their contained thread.

Incidentally, I am all for requiring prices be posted in the Marketplace Forum.

3. Related suggestion: require dollar values on all sales offerings.

This is the only one I want to see in writing, as it's the source of the most useless SPAM. Mostly sellers/dealers testing the waters and wasting everyone's time.

Otherwise, I'd either leave it as-is on the dealer question, or outlaw them. With all due respect to the "good guys", openly ringing the dinner bell to dealers will gain the attention of every evil comic spammer in creation, and then we can't do anything to get rid of them.

They will take over.

Arch:

you raise some excellent points and concerns. My only issue is that the forum left the "offering the book to a friend feel" long ago. It is much more of a marketplace first, trading amongst friends second. That being said, the "slippery slope" argument actually works for me...

I think what could be done, and I haven't seen it before, is to allow dealers to post the type of offers Brent did in the dealers' thread. I think they can run a sale there instead of a link to ebay or website sales and make the offer to forum members there. To me, that's just as easy as allowing everybody with no restrictions.

In the end, I would eliminate ALL dealers from the Marketplace Forum, put them all in Ebay/Dealers Forum, BUT allow them to run the same type of Marketplace sales but in their contained thread.

Incidentally, I am all for requiring prices be posted in the Marketplace Forum.

Now we're talking . . . I can live with this thumbsup2.gif

flowerred.gif

I'd either leave it as-is on the dealer question, or outlaw them. With all due respect to the "good guys", openly ringing the dinner bell to dealers will gain the attention of every evil comic spammer in creation, and then we can't do anything to get rid of them.

They will take over.

Amen brother sumo.gif

• Administrator

Does anyone feel that the "specialness" of the brent-style offerings will get lost in the ebay/dealer folder, or will that be fine?

Essentially as regards the dealer special offerings, we'll be back where we were (to some degree) before splitting the forum. By that, I mean that some forum-only special offer type posts will need to be picked out of ebay/dealer site sales announcements.

• Administrator

The overall effect of dealers making board-only offers on that board might perk it up as a hot-spot area with its own unique offerings. So it might be pretty cool.

However, note that the cream was pushed to the bottom previously, and it was the instigation for the forum separation previously.

Does anyone feel that the "specialness" of the brent-style offerings will get lost in the ebay/dealer folder, or will that be fine?

Essentially as regards the dealer special offerings, we'll be back where we were (to some degree) before splitting the forum. By that, I mean that some forum-only special offer type posts will need to be picked out of ebay/dealer site sales announcements.

I hate to say it, that's the competitive landscape; the Dealers themselves will have to bump their thread or whatnot. If they are truly good forum specials then guess what? People will see them as more and more people will continually look for them and buy in them. The dealers that will do the best will follow the model of Brent and others...

If you are a forum member who has an ebay auction I believe there is a separate sticky thread, or you can certainly post in the ebay/dealer thread.

However, note that the cream was pushed to the bottom previously, and it was the instigation for the forum separation previously.

Sure, but the original problem was that the traffic was simply too large for a single forum, and we've already cut that in half.

2. Allow everyone, but limit it to board-exclusive offers, and the hassle of make board-only offers will keep the spammers at bay.

3. Related suggestion: require dollar values on all sales offerings. This may allow the community to self-police enough to keep spammers at bay better. This may be a good idea regardless of whether we take #1 or #2, but there's some speculation that this requirement may make it feasible to allow dealers.

Of the options presented, I like these. thumbsup2.gif

2. Allow everyone, but limit it to board-exclusive offers, and the hassle of make board-only offers will keep the spammers at bay.

3. Related suggestion: require dollar values on all sales offerings. This may allow the community to self-police enough to keep spammers at bay better. This may be a good idea regardless of whether we take #1 or #2, but there's some speculation that this requirement may make it feasible to allow dealers.

Of the options presented, I like these. thumbsup2.gif

I concur. thumbsup2.gif

Other than the good suggestion of requiring prices to be listed, is there really any change being proposed from what the forum rules are now? Brent's listings were enthusiastically received, and yes, they would lose their "specialness" in the ebay/dealer forum as for the most part, that's an ebay forum.

I don't see why we would want to limit what is offered for sale here...as Captain Tripps mentioned in his post the other day regarding the Winnipeg Collection, it's real nice to have first crack at a new collection of books, whether that offering comes from a dealer or another collector. Having had that opportunity myself, Doug's sentiments are dead on and I hope every collector gets that chance some day.

A post count minimum might not prevent it, but as Brian alluded to above and MutantKeys mentioned in the General Thread, there's currently nothing from stopping our forum "friends" and "non-dealers" from pulling stunts worse than any dealer would (outright scams, over-graded and over-priced junk, repeated SPAM etc.,.), so maybe a limit of some type should be considered.

1. Eliminate all dealers under the presumption that dealers will TREND towards violating the "buddies trading books" sentiment. Even if there are exceptions, they are too hard to police, so just draw the line in the sand.

Anything I've missed here?

I guess I'm still missing how one would compile the excluded dealer list? I mean, drbanner has a website for selling books, is he a dealer? No, he's got a day job. But then doesn't BlazingBob still work in telecommunications in the Northeast? So, maybe he's not really a (full-time) dealer? What about forum members with active eBay stores? Are they dealers? Do we need to see W2 forms to determine who is a hobbyist and therefore allowed and who is a dealer and therefore forbidden? I just don't get it, and I really don't see how one would go about cleanly dividing the community up like that?

• Administrator

We'd have to toy with it, but it might look something like this.

You're a dealer if you:

1. Have a web site with an ecommerce component, or

2. Have a brick and mortar establishment, or

3. Have more than yourself providing labor to buy and sell your comics, or

4. Have a tax ID associated with your comics business, or (this one is mostly a self-elimination guideline)

5. Are an ebay BLANK (do they have a seller classification that puts you in the dealer category?)

This could be tweaked, but you get the idea. For the most part, we'd expect dealers to self-eliminate. Those that don't would be informed through community response, and moderation would step in where ever a dispute formed.

We'd have to toy with it, but it might look something like this.

You're a dealer if you:

1. Have a web site with an ecommerce component, or

2. Have a brick and mortar establishment, or

3. Have more than yourself providing labor to buy and sell your comics, or

4. Have a tax ID associated with your comics business, or (this one is mostly a self-elimination guideline)

5. Are an ebay BLANK (do they have a seller classification that puts you in the dealer category?)

This could be tweaked, but you get the idea. For the most part, we'd expect dealers to self-eliminate. Those that don't would be informed through community response, and moderation would step in where ever a dispute formed.

*spoon*. That means I can't post in here anymore, because I (1) have a tax ID because I don't want to *spoon* with the IRS, and (2) I am an eBay powerseller because I sell books online.

You're telling me that when I put books up in the forum and sell them to forum members, I'm somehow in the wrong because after they don't sell here I list them on eBay?