• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Diego tale of woe

137 posts in this topic

The more I think about this, the more I think that a good deal of the onus has to be on the dealer. I don't know too many knowledgeable dealers who would be off by a factor of 10. Anyone know who it is? I wanna see what else they have availab...err, umm....

The more I think about this, the more I think that a good deal of the onus has to be on the dealer. I don't know too many knowledgeable dealers who would be off by a factor of 10.

Not if it's a pure comic guy who's been handed some original art, something he knows nothing about.

Marc

It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing how much money is involved...ie, legal action can get pricey. My intial feeling, not being an attorney, is that legal recourse would be against your friend for violating a verbal agreement (or written if you had provided him with a price list). But, taking legal action against friends isn't exactly part of the fun of collecting comics.

Also more info about the subsequent sale, which complicates things, would be helpful. The person who purchased the art probably flipped it for much closer than what it is worth, but at a discounted price for the quick sale. The suggestion of a threat of legal action against him / her could prove fruitful to recover some of your money. As for the art, it sounds like it has a new owner who has no obligation moral or otherwise to return it.

Personally, disregarding what is legal or not, If I was your friend, I would have a hard time taking part in threatening legal action against the initial buyer, as he bought it for the asking price. Believe me, I know how painful it is to have something like this happen, but I am a firm believer in taking responsibility for my mistakes. The best solution, I think is for you to talk directly with the initial buyer, approach him/ her as honestly and openly as possible, let them know what happened, and maybe you can get something more for the artwork.

OK...but then, the question begs to be asked...if the piece is that valuable, why try to sell it through a comic guy, rather than one of the bigger art dealers?

Maybe the comic guys doesn't want a 20 percent cut.

Most of the dealers I know charge between 10 and 15% depending on the piece.... seems like a bargain.

The semi-short version:

I knew Steve Ferzoco as a fellow collector who was both friendly as well as being very generous with his time (not just as a hobbyist, but professionally as well). I also knew he had a Frank Miller cover he was trying to sell. I offered (as a favor) to display it in my booth at SD Comic Con if he wanted. He then told me that the Miller cover had sold, but asked if it would be OK to display five Frazetta pieces instead. I was a little hesitant because a. Unlike Miller, I know next to nothing of Frazetta, and b. I was not entirely comfortable because I knew the pieces represented a LOT of money (that much I knew). I eventually agreed with the stipulation that I could not be held responsible for whatever happened to the pieces while they were in my booth/possession. Also, as with my offer with the Miller piece, I wanted no commission or compensation of any kind. Steve agreed.

Flash forward to Preview Night at Comic Con. Steve brings the pieces to my booth. We price them out: He tells me the sticker price as well as any wiggle room with each piece. When it comes to the piece in question (a smallish 4” X 3” prelim), Steve says “That one’s fifteen HUNDRED, but I’ll take twelve”. I’m sure now that he had “fifteen THOUSAND” in his head, but “fifteen hundred” is what he said. It happens. Thankfully (for me), there was a third party at the booth who was there the entire time this took place and heard “fifteen hundred” as well, clear as day.

To those who know Frazetta, the piece is clearly mispriced. It is sold fairly quickly and ends up with Rober Quijano. Rober is an artist/collector who does light-boxed cover recreations as well as sells art on consignment. He is also someone who apparently has no qualms about screwing people over when they make an honest mistake. When Steve and I try to talk him into doing the right thing (i.e. sell the piece back to Steve, even at a generous mark-up as a show of good faith), he will only agree to return it for its near-market value. As much as Steve would like the piece back, no self-respecting person is going to give in to this sort of naked greed.

I feel sorry for three people in this scenario. One, I feel the worst for Steve because due to an honest mistake, he’s out a very expensive piece. Two, I feel sorry for myself. I’ll probably forever be known as the stupid a-hole who sold a Frazetta for 1/10 its desired asking price, regardless of the facts. Three, I feel sorry for Rober. He’s a small-time hustler who is feeling giddy because he just got one over on another collector. He’ll learn the folly of choosing short-term advantage over long-term gain. He could have, for the simple act of being a decent human being, gained the trust and business of some heavy-hitting collectors. Instead, word will get out in this small community about his sense of ethics. He still has a chance to redeem himself. If he doesn’t, I sincerely hope his only future endeavor in art is to strain his eyes over a lightbox.

If you’ve made it down this far, and would like to hear the long version, just PM me.

Felix Lu

Felix; I'd like the long version. And Stephen, I know Rober and might be able to help. Let me know if this is ok with you and I"ll contact him and see if we can get anywhere...

... but to everyone, let's hold off on the name-calling in public until we get a resolution. Some go to San Diego to collect art, some go to make money, and some go for both. It's all good. Let's just see if we can get a resolution. Dan

Felix,

I think that it was very brave of you to come forward and present the facts - especially since this situation did not present you in the most positive light. I respect everyone for trying to protect your identity but I respect your courage even more.

It was great to meet you and I think that the character that you have showcased is consistent with the person I have done business with in the past and hope to do more business with in the future.

After reading the facts as you have presented them, I think that you will find that the community will be much more willing to forgive the mistakes made by the parties involved and will now focus their anger towards the other person mentioned who now seems to be the only person who is truly at fault.

Thanks for sharing Felix, I really appreciate it!

Sincerely,

David E. Miller

Felix has been a great guy, both to conduct business and chat about the hobby with. I believe him to have a good heart, and I know if something like this happened to me, I would place a lot of weight on my own shoulders. Let's all cross our fingers and hope that a satisfactory resolution can come out of this!!

J

I eventually agreed with the stipulation that I could not be held responsible for whatever happened to the pieces while they were in my booth/possession.

I can't imagine myself leaving any $10,000 piece(s) with ANYBODY under those terms. I don't know either of you guys,and I'm not saying it didn't get said,just that I guess $10K means alot more to me than some people.

Felix,

I think that it was very brave of you to come forward and present the facts - especially since this situation did not present you in the most positive light. I respect everyone for trying to protect your identity but I respect your courage even more.

It was great to meet you and I think that the character that you have showcased is consistent with the person I have done business with in the past and hope to do more business with in the future.

After reading the facts as you have presented them, I think that you will find that the community will be much more willing to forgive the mistakes made by the parties involved and will now focus their anger towards the other person mentioned who now seems to be the only person who is truly at fault.

Thanks for sharing Felix, I really appreciate it!

Sincerely,

David E. Miller

100% agreement.

sorry you and 9698 are in this situation

Felix; I'd like the long version. And Stephen, I know Rober and might be able to help. Let me know if this is ok with you and I"ll contact him and see if we can get anywhere...

... but to everyone, let's hold off on the name-calling in public until we get a resolution. Some go to San Diego to collect art, some go to make money, and some go for both. It's all good. Let's just see if we can get a resolution. Dan

I don't know Rober personally, but I would contact him and try to mediate if I knew him. I'm sure Stephen will feel the same way, and ask for your help. When this guy realizes that he's the talk of the town, he'll have no choice but to give/get the art back, or risk being labeled as someone who takes advantage of peoples' mistakes.

Good luck, Stephen.

Mike

That is the piece. If anyone is offered the piece please let me know via PM. Also appreciate the legal advice that I have received as well as my legal options. I remain optimistic! Once again I appreciate the Board members opinions and well-wishes. Makes me happy to part of this family.

Stephen

Mike

That is the piece. If anyone is offered the piece please let me know via PM. Also appreciate the legal advice that I have received as well as my legal options. I remain optimistic! Once again I appreciate the Board members opinions and well-wishes. Makes me happy to part of this family.

Stephen

Stephen - Do you have a case if it appears that you quoted the wrong.price? I know I wouldn't if I quoted an incorrect price to a consigner and it sold before I was able to make the correction (especially if I had no monetary connection to said consigner as it appears to be in this case). I don't mean to sound harsh - I'm just wondering.

I’ll probably forever be known as the stupid a-hole who sold a Frazetta for 1/10 its desired asking price, regardless of the facts.

Well, I disagree. You're not a "stupid a-hole." Best to my knowledge, you don't collect Frazetta art and you're not an art dealer/collector who would claim to have expertise in that area. You are a nice guy who was merely trying to do a favor for a friend. You weren't set up in San Diego to sell art. You were there to promote your toy company. I hope the buyer will realize this was just a mistake and will come to some kind of compromise for Stephen.

Lambert