• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was your STUPIDEST comic collecting move?

120 posts in this topic

Been listening to BBC1 on shortwave off and on all day. Crimey

there seems to be quite a bit of dust in the air at Heathrow today.

Yeah, just a little....

Spent half the morning watching BBC's rolling news channel. Tried to keep it out of my head since then....

Buying tons of SA VG/Fs at $3 to $5 instead of buying NMs at $10 to $15!!! Hey, I was poor and wanted more books for the buck.

Hey, I'm still buying those type books. I have to find a happy medium between price and grade since I do want to read those suckers.

Buying tons of SA VG/Fs at $3 to $5 instead of buying NMs at $10 to $15!!! Hey, I was poor and wanted more books for the buck.

Hey, I'm still buying those type books. I have to find a happy medium between price and grade since I do want to read those suckers.

But at the time an FF #48 in NM was $15, or $5.00 for the VG/F!!! So I probably bought 3 copies of the VG/F!!! AUUUGGHH!!!!

I can think of a few...

As a teen, I bought into the b/w "hot" glut by stocking up on Shuriken, Elflord, Samurai, etc. I bought 5 copies of Shatter #1, which for a 13 year old is a fortune.

I sold Hulk 180, 181, and 182 as a set on eBay. But I stupidly listed them as "Hulk 180-182 set" and got a pittance because I left out the "181" keyword.

But at the time an FF #48 in NM was $15, or $5.00 for the VG/F!!! So I probably bought 3 copies of the VG/F!!! AUUUGGHH!!!!

I see 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I do have to say, in my favor, I have never bought a modern book off the stands.

Not because I could see the future, but because I was pissed that the cover prices went to 40 cents and I dropped out of the hobby for the next 15 years.

When I was a kid I had a choice to buy a mn/mint Star Wars #1 regular for 7.00 or the.35 cent variant for $15.00 and I bought the regular verision.

You fit in here quite well ! frustrated.gif27_laughing.gif

Boy, I can relate to the last comment. :lol

I don't have any one moment. When I passed on Giant-Size X-Men for $500 about 6 - 7 years ago (it appeared in NM 9.2 or 9.4) I was torn. But I used the same money to put a huge dent in my SA JLA with all of the ones I bought in VF or better.

Maybe getting rid of some books during college in the 80's counts?

I started a similar thread a while back...you can go here to read more collectors stories..... THE LINK Meanwhile, here is my sad story, copied from the other thread...................................

My worst horror story was at the 1986 Atlanta Fantasy Fair. I was 15 years old and took the bus up from Columbus (100 miles) to sell some of the 40 copies of GI JOE #2 (super hot book in the 80's....$75 bucks each at this time). The dealers room at the Omni Hotel in Atlanta was HUGE.

At the corner table of one isle was an elderly guy who looked just like Colonel Sanders. I had been flipping GI Joe 2's all day and had developed quite a presence at the convention because NOBODY had this issue but me. Colonel Sanders said something like " Hey young man, do you like original art, I'd sell these pages of art for $100 each but nobody is buying, I'd be willing to swap you any pages you like, 1 page for 1 GI JOE # 2, for as many as you'd like"

I took a look at the stack of pages this old gentleman had , must have been about 4 inches high, I'd figure about 50 or more pages. As GOD is my witness, every single page, every one, was a STEVE DITKO Amazing Spider-man page. Splash pages, tons of interior art, I don't recall any covers.

The old guy was practically begging me to trade. This goes to show how far original art has come in 18 years. HE was SO MOTIVATED to trade me these FRIGGIN' MUSEUM PIECES for FRIGGIN' GI JOE #2's. (sorry, I get a bit excited now that I'm relating this story)

SO what did I do? I figured that I'd like to have a few pages for my collection even though I had never thought of ever aquiring any original art. I then thought about the 100 mile Greyhound bus ride back to Columbus, and what a burden it would be to carefully return these on the cramped bus.....and respectfully passed on the whole thing.

I've had a reoccuring nightmare about this for the last 18 years. It is seriously something I don't think I'll ever come to terms with. That is my story. Sad but true.

My dumbest move--in high school I bought a small collection of 100-200 books. Kept all the SA Marvel--got rid of all the lower-mid grade stuff, the Kerry Drakes and DC War, including a nice solid F OAaW 81.

My only consolation was that no one else really wanted that book either, including the eventual buyer. Most of fandom was equally ignorant

WOW good thread...some painful and hilarious stories. I can think of several off hand that I have done:

1. Like Catskillmike, in the late 70's, I traded a NM Ghost Rider #1-5 for a Howard the Duck #1.....funny though, I still think that was a good trade. insane.gif ( I'm still devoid of the Ghost Rider gene and still get a kick out of Howard makepoint.gif)

2. I traded two Eddie Murray Rookie cards for an Elflord #1. 893whatthe.gif

3. Not stupid but interesting/sad ...I finished putting together a silver age Avengers run by trading a complete set of silly football cards of a certain player named OJ Simpson...the next month he murdered his wife and RonGoldman and I was astounded to see those same cards were selling for 10 times the price I sold them for. 893naughty-thumb.gif893whatthe.gif Hopefully, they're worthless now.

4. Shortly after CGC had formed, I still thought it was safe to buy key raw books off ebay....long story short, I was out almost a grand but, in the process, got to have a few educational and valuable conversations with Steve Borock.