• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was your STUPIDEST comic collecting move?

120 posts in this topic

It was 1993 and I was doing little local shows at the time.

I had just purchased a lot of about 2 dozen DC 100 Pagers from J&S via the CBG. When they arrived, they were MINT (not NM or NM+ ..... MINT). Never saw such nice books in all my years.

Went to a small show in NJ and put them out at 3X NM guide at the time. A crowd of dealers surrounded me and, as they loudly complained about the price, they purchased nearly all of them before the show opened.

The Stupid thing about this is not that I sold them at the time - rather, it was that I did not save even 1 copy of DC 100 page Super-Spectacular #6 for my own collection.

I think back to that wrap around cover in all its stunning beauty (I had like 3 copies all in Mint) and almost cry when I realize that I sold them without putting one aside.

Now I have about 4 copies and none compare to even the worst issue I received in that lot from J&S. I think I'll go cry now. foreheadslap.gif

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buying a Captain America Comics #1 from Neatstuff.................front cover partial photocopy and missing couple of pages. Neither disclosed. On complaint........guess what no response!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How long ago was this?

2 years ago. Haven't bought a thing from them since. mad.gif

Cost $5k in 2004. Complained to Ross without response. Decided after a while to CGC it to see what they thought of it. Came back EA 2.0 incomplete, half of front copy a photocopy. Sold it October 2005 to release funds (better an Avengers #1 CGC 8.0 than that). Went for $2k.

Don't want any recompense now.

Sometimes you have to learn the hard way.

Neatstuff, did in their description say that it was restored. That wasn't the issue.

They didn't mention that half of the front cover was a photocopy or that there were missing pages.

Spent $100k on comics in last 2 years and none of it with Neatstuff even when they had items that were of interest.

I had just purchased a lot of about 2 dozen DC 100 Pagers from J&S.......

J&S comics ruled in the CBG back then.

The Stupid thing about this is not that I sold them at the time - rather, it was that I did not save even 1 copy of DC 100 page Super-Spectacular #6 for my own collection.

OUCH !!!, I feel your paid buddy. I remember being 15 or 16 and sending large packages of VERY cool stuff to J&S comics. I would grade them, figure out the guide prices, and split it in half. The guy would get the comics and agree/disagree with the grades (95 % of the time we were on the same page with grading) and he would cut me a check.

In the summer of 1986 I sold him about $1000 worth of (1985 guide prices)GA and high grade SA. The Fantastic Four run I had from 19-23 would be CGC 9.0+, they were immaculate. .......So, I feel your pain. I remember after that summer wondering "WHY?, Why did I sell almost all of my favorite comics."

I suppose it was just the thrill of DEALING COMICS and getting good money as a young kid. Still wish I had that FF20.....oh well. confused-smiley-013.gif

sold my OO ASM #'s 1-5 in around VF shape (for comparison purposes; my #6 was cgc 8.0, the 7 was cgc 9.0, the 8 was cgc 9.0, the 9 was cgc 9.0, etc) to some local kid who hounded me for months back in early 1964.10 bucks for the lot!!!! it was a handsome profit at the time........... little Mario...........

Ouch!! Have you ever tried tracking down that little Mario?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Cost $5k in 2004. Complained to Ross without response. Decided after a while to CGC it to see what they thought of it. Came back EA 2.0 incomplete, half of front copy a photocopy. Sold it October 2005 to release funds (better an Avengers #1 CGC 8.0 than that). Went for $2k.

NeatStuff had major service/communication problems 2+ years ago (with me too, among many others), but in the last year or two they seem to be making an effort to improve customer service and to correct past problems. Why not get in touch with Brian with the details, & maybe you can come to an agreement on compensation? I hold out hope that they will do the right thing.

gossip.gif I'd send him an e-mail. It looks like he might be willing to talk to you about it.

HA - I recall a stupid move at a comic show locally back during the summer of 1988. I was virtually out of $$ near the end of my shopping day and finally spotted a guy that literally had stacks and stacks of BRAND NEW Amazing Spider-man #300s! Now, I had been into ASM, but it had run its course for me around 1981-82, but right next to that pile was the premier copy of the new John Byrne She-Hulk! Now THAT looked particularly interesting to impressionable young man like myself, not "boring" 'ol ASM, eh? So, I grabbed a She-Hulk and passed up the ASM #300 entirely?! I stuck w/ the She-Hulk title far longer than I should have and didn't pick up the ASM run again until the #360's - YEA! Ah, but only if I had stuck w/ Spidey during that #300+/- period and besides where the heck was that vendor during the BEGINNING of the show... UGH?!

sold my OO ASM #'s 1-5 in around VF shape (for comparison purposes; my #6 was cgc 8.0, the 7 was cgc 9.0, the 8 was cgc 9.0, the 9 was cgc 9.0, etc) to some local kid who hounded me for months back in early 1964.10 bucks for the lot!!!! it was a handsome profit at the time........... little Mario...........

Ouch!! Have you ever tried tracking down that little Mario?? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

nah, but one does wonder what became of them. i can only hope his mom tossed them............. devil.gif

Quote:

I'd send him an e-mail. It looks like he might be willing to talk to you about it.

I'll e-mail him. Problem is I no longer have the comic and haven't retained the e-mails. The only thing I have is the movement on my bank statement (£2,,518.37 ($4,684 at todays fx rates) payment made by bank transfer - which is referenced NeatStuff) in April 2004.

Comic wasn't CGC rated when purchased therefore how do I prove to him that the comic I sold was the one that he delivered?

I passed on F-VF copies of Captain America #100, Hulk #101, a ton of Strange Tales, Tales to Astonish... all on ebay about 6 years ago.... I could've bought Captain America 100-105 for about $20....

I have more blunders, just need to think of them all.

Ebay F= Fair gossip.gif .....probably a GOOD decision.

Quote:

I'd send him an e-mail. It looks like he might be willing to talk to you about it.

I'll e-mail him. Problem is I no longer have the comic and haven't retained the e-mails. The only thing I have is the movement on my bank statement (£2,,518.37 ($4,684 at todays fx rates) payment made by bank transfer - which is referenced NeatStuff) in April 2004.

Comic wasn't CGC rated when purchased therefore how do I prove to him that the comic I sold was the one that he delivered?

Well, you have one thing in your favor. These Boards. You posted your problem, and Neat Stuff made a reply, in front of all of us board members. This board is very important to their business, so I would contact him, and make a new post of the outcome. Something is better than nothing. At the least, you might get a sizeable amount of credit from their store. Good Luck!

Mike

This is actually pretty simple for me.

Passing on a HG set of Spidey #2 through #10 for $1,000 back in the late 80's for the simple reason that it was missing issue #1. Especially when I was given a whole week to think about it. screwy.gif

Needless to say, both Geppi and the Dentist were not silly enough to pass on them since they were the next two who got their hands on this set. foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

hello all...

I started collecting comics in the early 80's (my first purchase was a Silver Surfer #1, fairly beat up, at a flea market, for 25 cents, and I was hooked!)....by 1992, with the help of some great folks (CBG purchases, SDCC dealers I met like Stephen of Metropolis, Joe of Now and Then Collectibles, Daniel at Showcase NE among others, and especially John at Tropic Comics in Plantation, Fl and Mark at Past Present and Future in WPB, FL) I was able to complete a run of Action 1-100 (or so)....not only did I collect comics, but I also collected action figures/toys (mainly Mego at the time, but in 1992, Playmates was producing Star Trek, and then by 1995 Hasbro was doing the SW line again)...so, in late 1994, I sold my run of Action, to finance starting our compnay (New Force Comics and Collectibles), with my focus being on the "collectible" (i.e. action figure) part...I actually had lost my interest with collecting GA comics at the time, and focused on the toys...my "worst" (yet, best) sale was the Action 1-14, all unrestored (well, this we pre CGC, so I think they were all unrestored) for $60K to a colletor in DE (wonder if he still has them), and the rest I sold through various ads in CBG and in shows in the Miami/S Florida area (the last action book I sold was a second copy of Action #5 I had aquired accidentally, to a collector in CA, Frank Williams?, if I remember, back in 1997?)....I say "worst" because of the price these books would go for today, but I say "best" because with the funds from that sale, I was able to start the toy importing part of my company, which has led to being able to support my family all these years, and now to personally start collecting GA comics again (focusing on Batman, mainly Tec!, as I have already done the Superman "thing"!

rick