• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,597 posts in this topic

Well Spidey fans, I've decided to break my ASM run from 1 to present and put the proceeds towards a few special books. :o

I will be keeping 1-100, 121, 122, 129, 238, 252 and 300. Am I crazy for doing this? :insane:

Well Spidey fans, I've decided to break my ASM run from 1 to present and put the proceeds towards a few special books. :o

I will be keeping 1-100, 121, 122, 129, 238, 252 and 300. Am I crazy for doing this? :insane:

No.

How long did it take you to get the full run?

20 years on and off. I picked up most of them before the internet/ebay.

What about #136? 194?

Don't break 'em up. :sumo:

What about #136? 194?

The 194 is only a F/VF, so I can easily upgrade it later on. As for the 136... (shrug) .... maybe I should keep it.

:gossip: I'm going to put the money towards an AF15.

As stated often and I believe appropriately...follow your heart and instincts...I had a solid 1-200 CGC stack and ultimately sold off the 101-200 all in 9.4 or better...I'm now scratching the itch to sell off 51-100 to fund and fill holes in the 1-50 run...no right or wrong about it...

I've had a thought lately, kind of like any business or syndicate...perhaps similar to a real estate syndicate whereby people form a group and buy properties for investment purposes...why not form an AF 15 syndicate whereby we all put in x amount of money a week/month and just snap up every freaking AF15 that comes along...set a goal, maybe for a group of 10 or 20 investors, to acquire 50 AF 15s and then distribute...me likey the sound of that...

Good luck with your decision whichever way you go... :headbang:

Now that's a justifiable reason to break 'em up. :hail:

I think it is a good idea...if you can ..try to pick up the older and more expensive issues first...you will always be able to pick up the later issues for a song & a dance...so the longer you wait to get your grail..the more expensive it will, and who knows...one day it might become so expensive..you will NEVER be able to get a copy...

Also the gratification you will feel for having done this is also not to be underestimated...

I wish you luck and hope you get your grail...this is one of the all-time best books you could ever achieve to get anyway...DO IT NOW... (thumbs u

If you're still a spidey fan and selling spidey books to pay for a different spidey book... eh, why bother. just save the money for the af15 and buy that. Its just a hassle to sell off those lesser books and rebuy them later. Assuming you're content with a 5k or less AF15. If you're looking at a pricier AF15 then yeah do whatcha gotta do I guess.

What grade?,

What grade?,

VGish

Nelson! I love the pimped out Count avatar--too funny!

I will say this--I wish somedays that my ASM 1 wasn't in the case so I could hold it like I can my AF 15. However, I also feel better knowing it's safer in there as my AF 15 is much more structurally sound. MLMeade--that is a great, great looking copy of ASM 1. Think you'll crack it out at some point?

And John, I do think it's the right call. Now is a great time to be looking for an AF 15, whereas the filler issues will be easily reacquired later on.

Edited by Mac Man

Nelson! I love the pimped out Count avatar--too funny!

I will say this--I wish somedays that my ASM 1 wasn't in the case so I could hold it like I can my AF 15. However, I also feel better knowing it's safer in there as my AF 15 is much more structurally sound. MLMeade--that is a great, great looking copy of ASM 1. Think you'll crack it out at some point?

And John, I do think it's the right call. Now is a great time to be looking for an AF 15, whereas the filler issues will be easily reacquired later on.

Oh, I can guarantee you I'll crack it out. The seller sent this book in a freaking Priority mailer and the case is cracked across the lower right corner. I got him to discount it a 100 bucks to cover the reslab fee and the shipping costs, but geez, who the hell sends a ASM 1 in an envelope?!?! Anyhow, it looks to me like it may be slightly undergraded. I've still got my collector society coupon, and I'll probably make this one of the submissions. (And hope it gets a half grade bump. Of course a half grade decrease would be catastrophic...)